Flacco to Start on Sunday; Why?

JetNation

2 hours ago, Biggs said:

Flacco is like an old boxer who can no longer pull the trigger on the jab.  He's done.  Garrappolo isn't done.

Good analogy.

Decline tends to accelerate exponentially as players get beyond a certain age.  It's different for every athlete.

But there's a reason most NFL players (and athletes in all major sports) are long gone by age 37.

Flacco has basically been washed for 5+ years.  There's a reason Baltimore drafted Lamar Jackson.  I don't think they viewed it as a "luxury pick".

Just now, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Good analogy.

Decline tends to accelerate exponentially as players get beyond a certain age.  It's different for every athlete.

Flacco has basically been washed for 5+ years.  There's a reason Baltimore drafted Lamar Jackson.  I don't think they viewed it as a "luxury pick".

The Broncos picked him up for 1 year to see if they could squeeze anything more out of him but then cut him after 1 year.  Meanwhile Robert Saleh can't get enough of the guy and thinks "he has a lot left".  This is the 3rd straight year that Flacco has started a game for the Jets.

1 hour ago, doitny said:

Counter-counter argument

1. this is a team sport. blaming him for win-loss record is not fair. he gets the loss last week but a bunch of critical errors by everyone but him cost us the game. and 4 of those losses came in 2020 in a Adam Gase offense with a much worst roster than today or even last year.

2. yes White gets rid of the ball more quickly but thats because he is always checking down. Flacco went downfield. you have to do that or the defense will just load the box and force him to beat them deep which White has yet to prove he can. and if they do that they will shut down the running game in the process. 

now considering how bad the OL was Flacco should have checked it more than he did, but not to the way that White who does it all the time. he never throws it 25 yds downfield. 

3. i dont disagree on this. INTs arent all that bad as long as you score TDs. all those guys you mentioned are really good and throw a hell of a lot more TDs than INTs. Mike White was the 2nd worst INT% with 6.1% only Boyle from Det was worst (6.4%) 

you can be selective and choose the Bengals game but what is more likely? the Bengals had no tape and didnt know what to expect? Indy had a short week on Thursday night and just went with a regular defense. ( remember Johnson had a 300yd game against INdy that night. is that who he is? ) and then Buffalo had tape and exposed Whites weakness.

OR

White is really Bengal game good and Buffalo just had too great a defense that he had no chance. well if thats the case then the whole NFL messed up cause anybody could have had him for a 5th rd pick. even if you think the Jets CS is garbage the whole NFL passed on him. so apparently, they all feel the same about him.

Counter countery count count 

1.  0-8 as a starter since 2019 on multiple different teams, is telling.  Sure, not all on him but he's clearly not able to rise above adversity.  0-8 isnt a coincidence and everyone else fault, there is a common theme here.  

2. It worked w/ White,  who cares how the yards and points come.  The box was ultra stacked vs. Flacco.  They were literally daring him to throw because he's terrible.

3. His first ever action was vs. BB, he balled vs. the Bengals, he had a great answer on a drive where all his completions were downfield vs. the Colts and then was injured.  The Bills dismantled him, just like every other QB not named Mahomes last year.

To your point, I dont know which Mike White it is...Colts/Bengals or Patriots/Bills...which is why I'm curious to see more.  What I do know with extreme confidence is that Joe Flacco is terrible and a loss waiting to happen. Even the guys kids tell him he's trash.  That's how bad he sucks.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, LionelRichie said:

Conspiracy theory:  Saleh doesn't want a QB controversy when Wilson comes back and thinks that while Flacco is bad, the running game and defense are good enough to squeak by at 2-2.

I said it in another thread, it feels that way at this point.  I just have a very hard time believing that these actually think Flacco can win a Football game. 

39 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

The Broncos picked him up for 1 year to see if they could squeeze anything more out of him but then cut him after 1 year.  Meanwhile Robert Saleh can't get enough of the guy and thinks "he has a lot left".  This is the 3rd straight year that Flacco has started a game for the Jets.

Denver grabbed him as their starter.  
Jets as a backup.  

Kind of different situations. 

Just now, Jet Nut said:

Denver grabbed him as their starter.  
Jets as a backup.  

Kind of different situations. 

Good point.  OTOH, Saleh said he thinks Flacco is a starter who has a lot left.  He didn't have to say that but he chose to.  That makes me think he believes it.

36 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Good point.  OTOH, Saleh said he thinks Flacco is a starter who has a lot left.  He didn't have to say that but he chose to.  That makes me think he believes it.

What’s he going to say?  He’s an old man who isn’t that good buts better than what we have?  
I don’t get the confusion when a comment like that comes out.  Is he supposed to tell the world and team that there’s little chance of winning?  These are PCs, that’s what they’re for

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, doitny said:

Mike White is not starting because.....

1. Salah knows and i do and keep saying it wasnt Flacco fault for the loss. the article states the comedy of errors we had. and most of them cost us points. cant believe OTHER players wouldnt make those same mistakes if White played last Sunday.

2. Flacco might be a statue but White isnt one??? Whites is not Lamar Jackson over here. if he is faster than Flacco it isnt by much.

3. last time White was running for his life he threw 4 INTs against Buffalo. for all the crap people are saying about Flacco he threw 1 INT and it was because Cager slipped on the wet grass. i dont trust White to be cool and calm enough in those conditions to not be a TO machine.

right.  we all know flacco is limited in being a statue.  there's no disputing that.  but outside of the cincy game (where it was more of a trap game than not) white hasn't shown much.  after a number of years in the league he should be the undisputed backup but hasn't beat out flacco.  the ravens game was lost in the oline trenches.

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, NYJCAP2 said:

Jets winning formula fit the next three games.. Flacco first half, White second half.

Gut feeling is if Jets don’t score a TD in the first half, Flacco will be pulled this Sunday.

I don't think Saleh is pulling Flacco.  Pretty sure he even said that in the press conference yesterday.  "Joe is our QB".

25 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I don't think Saleh is pulling Flacco.  Pretty sure he even said that in the press conference yesterday.  "Joe is our QB".

That’s press conference speak. Different circumstances if the first half is a nightmare.

He’ll also have no choice when Myles Garrett breaks him in half.

6 hours ago, Biggs said:

Flacco is like an old boxer who can no longer pull the trigger on the jab.  He's done.  Garrappolo isn't done.

I like this, he has the stance, when he moves around the ring you can see he was really good but something is off. Every once in awhile he does something impressive. But something is still off.

That's right, his jab just doesn't snap like it used to.

2 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Yeah and he said Becton wasn't hurt and Zach might play game 1. Can never trust what a coach says , and that applies to any coach not just Saleh. 

8 hours ago, Bowles Movement said:

Garoppolo ran this offense in San Fran and he isnt known for his mobility.  Having mobility is always a plus in avoiding the pass rush but isnt a deal killer.

Good point. I guess what I mean is why would you have your starter and backup be such different players. You know? You go all summer training with one guy, then the backup comes in and is a totally different guy. I dunno. Seems counter intuitive to me. Wouldn’t it be better to have a backup with a similar skill set so not much changes if something goes wrong?