Saleh’s Real Record

1 hour ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Sorry for the new thread, but felt like this ought to be pointed out, since 4-13 (now 4-14) keeps being cited as Saleh’s record.

But to help put things in perspective:

Since Saleh took over, the Jets are officially 4-14.

If it wasn’t for Mike White, though, the reality is Robert Saleh would be 2-15 as the HC of the NYJ.

That’s a worse stretch than the skid that got universally despised Adam Gase canned.

The other 2 wins came via the heroic performance by MW, whom Saleh (and half the fanbase) apparently despises, and the Jags game coached by non-wuss Riverboat Ron Middleton.

Saleh’s 2 non-MW wins are over TEN and HOU.

Saleh has no leg to stand on when it comes to criticism. It’s all deserved, every bit of it.

He can have “60%” Navy Seals t-shirts printed til the cows come home.  

But in order for his win % to reach that number (60%) — a mark which would qualify him as one of the better head coaches in the league — he would literally have to win the next 18 games in a row.

please.  you attribute the wins to others but all of the losses on saleh?  that's just not fair.  and if white was such a good qb he would've won at least one of the other games he started.  this isn't to say saleh doesn't have a role to play in the jets losses.  obviously he does.  he's the guy responsible for getting this team ready to play on sunday.  and that goes for the wins as well as the losses.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Point is the coach is incompetent.

He only played MW because he had no choice.  Obviously, he would have started Flacco if he could have.

He’s still 3-14 if you include the MW game.

Whoop-dee-doo.

Should we commission a statue in his honor?

I don't see anyone going on about building a statue in his honor. Cool thread brah

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

Sorry for the new thread, but felt like this ought to be pointed out, since 4-13 (now 4-14) keeps being cited as Saleh’s record.

If it wasn’t for Mike White, though, the reality is Robert Saleh would be 2-15 as the HC of the NYJ.

That’s a worse stretch than the skid that got universally despised Adam Gase canned.

The other 2 wins came via the heroic performance by MW, whom Saleh (and half the fanbase) apparently despises, and the Jags game coached by non-wuss Riverboat Ron Middleton.

Saleh has no leg to stand on when it comes to criticism. It’s all deserved, every bit of it.

But in order for his win % to reach that number (60%) — a mark which would qualify him as one of the better head coaches in the league — he would literally have to win the next 18 games in a row.

So the players get credit for wins and Saleh gets credit for loses.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

I don't care about fawning over his career winning record. The past is the past I don't care about last year. Just start winning some games going forward. We all understand the circumstances surrounding his first year.

• Upvote 3

BTW, wonder how Quinnen, Shepherd, and CJ Mosley feel about Saleh’s “talent worse than an expansion team” quip.

They are among the “sub-expansion level talent” BS referenced that was here before Joe Douglas.

Interesting way of “defending the locker room”, taking an indirect shot at your current defensive captain, top DT and another DT you chose to bring back of your own volition.

All this HC does is deflect and spin and promise.

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 2
  • Sympathy 1

Imagine walking into an interview for a CEO position and your answer for how you plan to turn the company around is:

”All gas, no brake”

”Go to bed better than when you woke up

Then, over a year after you are hired, with the company performing even worse than it was under your predecessor, your answer is:

”One day, this thing is just gonna flip. And it’s gonna be awesome when it happens.”

”I’m taking receipts on everybody mocking us.”

This is literally what has happened.

You can’t make this up.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

52 minutes ago, NIGHT STALKER said:

Enough with this piling on with Saleh.  The guy was handed a sh*t roster.  JD has been dismantling the roster and has been infusing young talent the past couple of years...I don't know, don't we have one of the youngest if not the youngest roster in the league?  On top of that, there's been absolutely no stabilization at the QB position and the O line is a guess who's playing or not playing on any given week.  How do you win with all this crap going on?  Media and fans are having a field day with this "handing out receipts" BS.  He should have kept his mouth shut, but the frustration he must be feeling I'm surprised he hasn't said more.  One game into the season...can we give him a healthy roster before we tar and feather the guy?!  I put blame on JD because this former O line player should have taken care of this position pronto.  

Give me a break. I'm supposed to feel bad for a guy making $5M a year, who has a 3-14 record so far?  Yeah, he had a crap roster but let's also not forget that a great HC can still get a bad team to perform.  Even if they don't win, they should at least be competitive.  Saleh started talking about how "things are different" despite a 24-9 loss with 6 of our points coming in GT.  And it was a close game until halftime when the better HC made adjustments that Saleh didn't match.  He's honestly got some nerve talking like he did.  He needs to be focused on winning games, not on "taking receipts".  That was truly an embarrassing moment.  And even he understood that because he apologized the next day.

The honeymoon phase with this coach is over.  He needs to get this team to play competitive football at the very least!  The loss to the Ravens didn't meet that standard.  If he wants to complain about the way he's being treated (especially considering how much he's being compensated) then maybe he should instead just hand in his resignation and walk out with his tail between his legs and say that the job was too big for him.

And I don't want to hear about "healthy roster" either.  Every team in the NFL has injuries.  The Ravens were down an OL, RB and (I think) DB but they played just fine.  I would make an exception for us having our backup QB in there but Saleh is the one who has been raving about how good Joe Flacco is ("he's a starter in this league" and "he has a lot left") from the day we acquired him. 

Right now, this franchise is nothing but bluster and excuses .

SHOW US SOMETHING ON THE FIELD!

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Saleh will and should be judged on wins and losses at the end of the day. That said, the entire organization has basically said that 2021 was a building year that didn't prioritize wins. It was about building a foundation. Not saying I agree or disagree but that message has been loud and clear.

The roster is clearly much better now and the teams needs to put up wins. 

Fussing over some stupid logic of removing wins from the 2021 season where the organization didn't even prioritize wins is useless and moronic. Put your dick in a blender.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Jetfuel66 said:

This argument lack basis for many reasons one being that this team was stripped down to its foundations, as it should have been, and it takes a season or three to excel when you are changing your schemes and adding new talent across the board as the Jets have done.

This is exactly the point Jet fans are refusing to accept.  Even those Gase teams were trying to win, they were fielding the best team they could - just Mac was a disaster.   

JD's plan was to literally tear the thing down to the studs and start over - which is what he did and the team Saleh had last year.  Surely he has to live with that record.  But let's not try and change history here.

This team is still exceptionally young but they need to win a bunch of games this year and be competitive in most of the ones they lose.  

• Upvote 4

27 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Saleh will and should be judged on wins and losses at the end of the day. That said, the entire organization has basically said that 2021 was a building year that didn't prioritize wins. It was about building a foundation. Not saying I agree or disagree but that message has been loud and clear.

The roster is clearly much better now and the teams needs to put up wins. 

Fussing over some stupid logic of removing wins from the 2021 season where the organization didn't even prioritize wins is useless and moronic. Put your dick in a blender.

I think your spot on.

How do you build a culture of winning if winning isn't a priority of the HC?  That's not an opinion or rhetorical.  Most of the great NFL HC seemed to always put winning as the priority from day 1.   It seems a little unorthodox.  

I don't agree with the premise of the thread starter or your attack on him.  I do see your point.  Your point does indicate that the HC and possibly the GM weren't hyper focussed on winning or teaching many of the players that were on the team last year.  

You may think your roster stinks and you may recognize you need more talent but there is still an obligation to the players on the roster to coach them up and teach them how to win as a group.  There's still an obligation to building a culture around winning for at the very least the players in the locker room and the fan base.   Making a decision that winning isn't a priority is a complete disservice to the players you have.

When we entered WW2 we had a terrible military.  The Navy and airforce had boats that sunk and planes that fell out of the air.  We still fought to win while we upgraded the equipment and training.   I only use the war metaphor because Saleh seems to be a big fan of the Navy Seals.  

• Thumb Down 1

4 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

Its not a good record.  I still think the jury is out on Saleh.  IMO, the Jets must be competitive this season with a minimum of 6 or 7 wins.  We must be in games going into the 4th quarter. I will give him till midseason before I melt down.

Of course the jury is still out.  But Saleh needs to STFU and get his team to show something, even in losing efforts.  Week 1, the entire 4th quarter was GT.  That's not acceptable anymore.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

You know, there's a lot of really strong arguments being made here, and after taking into account all of the great points brought up, overall analysis of Saleh's time as coach finds that his record is in fact 1-0, with last year's win over the Titans being the only game sufficiently meeting all criteria to qualify.

So that's nice at least.

• Haha 2

41 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Fussing over some stupid logic of removing wins from the 2021 season where the organization didn't even prioritize wins is useless and moronic.

Convenient cover story for when you don't win.

"Not prioritizing wins" is another Saleh-istic piece of garbage people somehow fall for.  It means nothing when you actually parse the decision-making.

Makes as much sense as building a winning culture without winning.

If it's truly about talent development and "foundation building" as opposed to winning, why Jeff Smith over Denzel Mims?  Why Joe Flacco (who has no future here or anywhere else) over developing Mike White?

The problem isn't just with the final outcomes of these games.  It's with the in-game decision-making.

Ron Middleton went for more 4th downs in neutral game script in 1 game than Saleh has in 17.

Saleh talks tough at the podium, but like George Costanza coming out of a swimming pool, on gameday he shrivels up.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

3 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Geebus H. Cripes, this thread starter deserves a week ban.

DO IT TANNY!!!!

• Post of the Week 1

The whole argument about past record is a pointless, dead-horse beating exercise, in my humble opinion.

Win a Superbowl and no-one needs to care about what your record was until that point.

Do you think if Buffalo wins it this year, their fans will be complaining that that only makes them 1-4 in the big game?

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, jamesr said:

The whole argument about past record is a pointless, dead-horse beating exercise, in my humble opinion.

Win a Superbowl and no-one needs to care about what your record was until that point.

Do you think if Buffalo wins it this year, their fans will be complaining that that only makes them 1-4 in the big game?

I agree with this.

Question is how long are you willing to wait for results before you pull the plug?

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

4 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

You know, if you took off all 4 wins since Saleh became head coach, he'd be 0-14!!!

image.png.e54181f37b6dcdf90e5a9f1d8820972d.png

• Haha 3

58 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

I agree with this.

Question is how long are you willing to wait for results before you pull the plug?

As it stands right now, and this is only my personal view:

• Joe D is not in doubt for next year - he has compiled a talented roster, he appears to have a vision / direction and the ability to implement this (unlike predecessors who "had a plan" ... and that was it). He has blemishes yes - every GM does - so he needs to keep on the right side of the balance sheet moving forward
  • Saleh (and the rest of the coaches) need to get the rest of the year to see how things fare across the full season. I see no value in making any changes mid-year based on performance. If anything exceptional happens off the field then sure, but that goes for everyone
  • At year end, if we have shown no improvement at all, or a backwards step, then some sort of change must be made. I'd be surprised - and disappointed - if that meant the whole coaching staff went, as it would set us back and add another blemish to the Joe D record. But in all honesty I don't see this happening (barring exceptions like season-ending injuries etc)
  • The tricky bit is - if we do show some improvement, how much is enough / not enough? If we surge to 9 or 10 wins and look good - yippee, drinks all round, load it up again for 2023. But I consider that an outside bet right now. 6-8 wins is tricky ... how did we get them? Did we win or did the opponent lose? Did we beat full strength good teams or undermanned also-rans and teams resting starters? Were we up and down all year, or did we show consistency and get better as the year went on? I'd need to see specific reasons to get rid of people - rather than reasons to keep them. E.g. when Rex was coach he said week in and week out "we'll get that cleaned up ..." and didn't. Sloppy play, stupid procedural penalties, lack of discipline ... if that is prevalent then yes, grounds for change. Or if one unit is consistently under performing relative to its talent. But please, no change for the sake of change ... we've had enough instability for so long, I'm willing to have a longer leash with this staff to see if they can get us back to the playoffs

My personal guess - we reach about 7 wins, with some positive signs but also some clear areas for improvement. QB will continue to be a question mark, but not enough to move on at this stage. Same group is back in 2023 (maybe some minor changes at positional coaches but the main 3 guys stay). Haters continue to hate, fanboys continue to fanboy. The rest of us just get on with things and hope for the better. :-) 

• Post of the Week 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

To be fair at least they know exactly why we can’t stand them. It’s called their record. They have blown so far and except for the board positivity troll and a few people that still believe in Santa Claus we have been given no reason to think differently. 

You have to see the forest for the trees, brother.  Saleh just told you its bubbling under the service and when explodes, it is going to be a beautiful thing.  I see it exploding around midseason, once Zach is fully back and the young pups get enough games under their belt.

Why others cant see this I dont get.  Its a very talented roster of young players who are just getting experience.

Like Saleh said, instant coffee generation.  The disease masks your vision and jet fans cant see more then 2 feet in front of your face.

• Upvote 1