The Tom Shame Thread

OilfieldJet

35 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Yeah, I don’t think that players liking a coach is necessarily indicative of mass buy-in. There are graveyards full of coaches who were popular in the room.

Eh, yes and no.  I definitely agree with what you’re saying as a whole, but it’s very muddy trying to figure that part of it out so it’s something I don’t try and get too worked up over until it becomes painfully obvious players are tuning out the coaches and just going through the motions.  I don’t see that here yet.  

Ultimately, time will tell where Saleh falls, but for now, I think he is on good terms with the team.  Guys like Laken Tomlinson aren’t saying things like this if they don’t currently buy in:

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

I think this is a lost cause. Flacco could beat the Bengals by 30 next week and they’d still start Zach against the Steelers.

i have never asked for Saleh to be fired but if were 2-1 that means Flacco played another good game. if he goes to Zach and we have to suffer with 150 yd games from him for the rest of the year then i will join the" fire Saleh club" cause thats how bad of a decision that is. you dont take the ball out of your hot QB hands who is winning games to go with the worst QB in the NFL last year. thats a fire able offense.

not to mention if Zach is bad GW development will take a serious hit

• Thumb Down 1

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Eh. The Jets probably don’t have the franchise QB on the roster regardless. This win was crucially important for Saleh, for LaFleur, for Flacco, and for Douglas (his draftees played awesome, mostly). **** Zach Wilson at this point. Get the bus moving forward and when he’s ready, let him buy a ticket to get on it. They already wasted enough time trying to get him ready.

Hold your tonuge

mw.jpg

2 hours ago, doitny said:

i have never asked for Saleh to be fired but if were 2-1 that means Flacco played another good game. if he goes to Zach and we have to suffer with 150 yd games from him for the rest of the year then i will join the" fire Saleh club" cause thats how bad of a decision that is. you dont take the ball out of your hot QB hands who is winning games to go with the worst QB in the NFL last year. thats a fire able offense.

Or maybe Wilson unlocks a higher level for this team. Until 1:50 left in the 4th people would have lost their minds if Wilson didn’t start vs cinci, now we are creating hypotheticals about Wilson holding the team back? Absolutely laughable 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Eh, yes and no.  I definitely agree with what you’re saying as a whole, but it’s very muddy trying to figure that part of it out so it’s something I don’t try and get too worked up over until it becomes painfully obvious players are tuning out the coaches and just going through the motions.  I don’t see that here yet.  

Ultimately, time will tell where Saleh falls, but for now, I think he is on good terms with the team.  Guys like Laken Tomlinson aren’t saying things like this if they don’t currently buy in:

““He’s definitely crazy,” Enunwa said to WFAN. “He’s a good type of crazy. He’s like a mad genius. He’s out there competing against [defensive coordinator] Gregg Williams and you can kind of tell they’re always going at it. It gets us as players fired up and ready to go as well.”

Gase has a lot to prove before we start calling him a “mad genius” but Enunwa sounds convinced.”

98C36905-C2D9-4894-B144-3EAD760E83D1.jpeg

7F35A9C7-0710-4B76-9B67-AFB16E2B4E63.png

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, SuicidalSince98 said:

Or maybe Wilson unlocks a higher level for this team. Until 1:50 left in the 4th people would have lost their minds if Wilson didn’t start vs cinci, now we are creating hypotheticals about Wilson holding the team back? Absolutely laughable 

Zach Unlocks

ZAC ULOCKN

JAKH LOCKN

JAKE LOCKER

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 3

15 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Give Tom a break.

He's trying to gather up his receipts and head over the Atlantic Health Center.

In all seriousness, I hope he enjoyed the win.  I feel like some of our fans find ways to criticize the losses and say, "no excuses, no moral victories."  But then excuse the wins as lucky and mistakes by the other team.  Can't have it both ways.  I could easily argue that the Jets handed the victory to Baltimore last week (almost literally with turnovers) and a couple blown coverages.  Otherwise, winnable game last week too.

The Jets are what their record says they are.

1-1

Hell yea 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

One thing to remember is this offense has a lot of moving pockets and quarterback rolls.  

Right now we aren't seeing any of that.  This will help the tackles win some reps. 

Very true.  The one thing flacco can do is stand in the pocket and sling it.  And the jets have the weapons to utilize his arm.  The ravens did not give him the pocket that the browns did.

6 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

The thing is Saleh doesn’t care about any of this.

Wilson will play even if he continues to suck and drag the offense down.

Not sure about this.   SF hedged their bets on Lance.  Saleh seems to follow their lead.  I don’t think they will let Zach destroy the season if he’s not ready.  

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Sadly, I'm old enough to be a historian of NFL football.  This wasn't a choke of historic fashion.  The Jets with Weeb Ewbank and a historically great coaching staff and Joe Namath did almost the exact same thing in the Heidi game.   The Cardinals and the Dolphins won games yesterday that were "historically" choke games by the Raiders and the Ravens.   This is NFL football.  

Saleh has a lot to prove but he did one thing yesterday which doesn't get enough credit.   The fake punt.  That kept us in the game.  Without that move that Saleh was directly involved in the Browns wouldn't be in position to choke.   At that point in the game it was a balls move.  Premeditated, high risk, high reward move.  It put pressure on the Browns.  Nobody chokes without pressure.  

“Nobody chokes without pressure.” That’s a keeper and I think I will use it.

25 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

You people are feeding the narcissism monster.

Shane reading this thread.

chubby funster GIF

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Best of luck to him

Yeah right.  I'm sure this is sincere.  Lol.  

Btw, good job keeping up the shtick.  After SAR1, you are the master.

Hmmm...  Has anyone ever seen SAR1 and T0mShane in the same room?

The both have one number in their name...  Hmmm....

10 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Probably a dumb question

but what does 60%, that’s what we do, mean?

10 minutes ago, GandWFan said:

SAR pounded a narrative contrary to all evidence.

T0m’s narrative is consistent with the evidence.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

29 minutes ago, GandWFan said:

This is salacious rumor mongering

7 hours ago, SuicidalSince98 said:

i have seen nothing that makes me think Wilson will unlock a higher level from this team. i hope im wrong.

the only people who would be mad are the Flacco haters. before the miracle comeback Flacco had what maybe 200 yds and 2 TDs. not great but not.. OMG we need a new QB. 

10 hours ago, doitny said:

I think Saleh and JD will will make the decision together.  So they both get fired?

2 minutes ago, doitny said:

i have seen nothing that makes me think Wilson will unlock a higher level from this team. i hope im wrong.

the only people who would be mad are the Flacco haters. before the miracle comeback Flacco had what maybe 200 yds and 2 TDs. not great but not.. OMG we need a new QB. 

News flash: coaches don’t make decisions around what you see

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, GandWFan said:

Tom seems like a guy who would drive a Subaru for 15 years wearing Birkenstocks.  Sar is wearing Lululemon and driving a beemer. 

3 hours ago, Biggs said:

Sadly, I'm old enough to be a historian of NFL football.  This wasn't a choke of historic fashion.  The Jets with Weeb Ewbank and a historically great coaching staff and Joe Namath did almost the exact same thing in the Heidi game.   The Cardinals and the Dolphins won games yesterday that were "historically" choke games by the Raiders and the Ravens.   This is NFL football.  

Saleh has a lot to prove but he did one thing yesterday which doesn't get enough credit.   The fake punt.  That kept us in the game.  Without that move that Saleh was directly involved in the Browns wouldn't be in position to choke.   At that point in the game it was a balls move.  Premeditated, high risk, high reward move.  It put pressure on the Browns.  Nobody chokes without pressure.  

He was also right to challenge the non-catch on the first drive (really felt like that one should’ve been overturned), and on the phantom holding call that brought back MC1’s long run which resulted in the 57 yard FG. Those were two two very bad, damaging calls. 

And I think fans need to look at the rest of the league this early in the year. Frank Reich is getting shut out by the Jaguars with his 37-year-old QB; in Denver, the clock management was so bad that fans were counting down the play clock. The whole league is sloppy early, every year. Fans complain about the Jets soft practices, but that’s what today’s CBA allows, and where almost every other team is at. A few extra growing pains for a young team and staff like the Jets have should be expected. Just look at the league darling Bengals limping into town at 0-2. Teams just aren’t fully gelled, and the conditioning isn’t 100% this time of year. 

• Sympathy 1

10 hours ago, SuicidalSince98 said:

He held the offense back last year, so.....

Yes, you and @slimjasi (said this in another thread) are right to suggest a Year 2 leap is possible.  But we'd need a pretty massive one out of Wilson for him to match or exceed what Flacco brought to the table yesterday.  

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He held the offense back last year, so.....

Yes, you and @slimjasi (said this in another thread) are right to suggest a Year 2 leap is possible.  But we'd need a pretty massive one out of Wilson for him to match or exceed what Flacco brought to the table yesterday.  

So let’s see it instead of trying to predict the future. 

• Upvote 1