The Tom Shame Thread

OilfieldJet

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He held the offense back last year, so.....

Yes, you and @slimjasi (said this in another thread) are right to suggest a Year 2 leap is possible.  But we'd need a pretty massive one out of Wilson for him to match or exceed what Flacco brought to the table yesterday.  

I honestly think Wilson will be just fine in this offense. 

The skill positions are (certainly by our standards) loaded and Wilson is more equipped to handle bad pass protection than Flacco is. Looking forward to it. 

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, SuicidalSince98 said:

Or maybe Wilson unlocks a higher level for this team. Until 1:50 left in the 4th people would have lost their minds if Wilson didn’t start vs cinci, now we are creating hypotheticals about Wilson holding the team back? Absolutely laughable 

Pretty sure people were complaining mostly about the defense up until that point yesterday as opposed to Flacco.  Even before the 1:50 mark miracle began he'd performed OK.  Over 200 yards, 2 TDs/0 INTs.  Not great but not terrible either.  

3 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I honestly think Wilson will be just fine in this offense. 

The skill positions are (certainly by our standards) loaded and Wilson is more equipped to handle bad pass protection than Flacco is. Looking forward to it. 

He just suffered a knee injury on a non-contact play while scrambling yet people keep pounding the table about Wilson's "mobility".

Yeah, not buying that.  He needs to learn to become a pocket passer.  He's not a scrambler.  

Besides, the pass protection was mostly fine yesterday.  Only 2 sacks and 4 QB Hits allowed all day against a very good pass rush.

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, SuicidalSince98 said:

So let’s see it instead of trying to predict the future. 

I'd rather live in the present.  Flacco just had a 300+ yard, 4-TD day, something this franchise hasn't seen in over 20 years.  I'm in no rush to "see what Wilson can do" if Flacco keeps posting stat-lines like that.  

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He just suffered a knee injury on a non-contact play while scrambling yet people keep pounding the table about Wilson's "mobility".

Yeah, not buying that.  He needs to learn to become a pocket passer.  He's not a scrambler.  

Besides, the pass protection was mostly fine yesterday.  Only 2 sacks and 4 QB Hits allowed all day against a very good pass rush.

Nothing to do with scrambling. 

He's not just more mobile than Flacco outside of the pocket, he's more mobile in the pocket - he's good at making guys miss in the pocket and buying extra time. 

Wilson has to prove that his decision-making and accuracy are a lot better than they were last year, but he's plenty mobile enough. 

Yes, the pass protection was just fine yesterday, outside of the one play where we just didn't block Garrett at all. 

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Nothing to do with scrambling. 

He's not just more mobile than Flacco outside of the pocket, he's more mobile in the pocket - he's good at making guys miss in the pocket and buying extra time. 

Wilson has to prove that his decision-making and accuracy are a lot better than they were last year, but he's plenty mobile enough. 

Yes, the pass protection was just fine yesterday, outside of the one play where we just didn't block Garrett at all. 

Again.  You're expecting the same mobility he demonstrated in 2021 pre-knee crush to be the same as he is in 2022.  I'm not buying it.  He's going to need to be more careful or he'll risk another similar injury. 

Physically, he may be perfectly fine whenever he returns.  But from a coaching perspective and mental perspective, he simply can't be the same guy.

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I'd rather live in the present.  Flacco just had a 300+ yard, 4-TD day, something this franchise hasn't seen in over 20 years.  I'm in no rush to "see what Wilson can do" if Flacco keeps posting stat-lines like that.  

Whatever fits the narrative today, right? He was the corpse of Joe Flacco last week, now he’s your guy? Lmfao, over here. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, slats said:

Whatever fits the narrative today, right? He was the corpse of Joe Flacco last week, now he’s your guy? Lmfao, over here. 

My opinion changes when new data comes in, yes.  I thought he was toast after week 1.  He demonstrated he is not this week.  What's your issue with that, exactly? 

I like QB's who play well and help the young guys on offense succeed, and Flacco did that yesterday.  Whichever QB does that the best is the one I want under center.

• Upvote 1

Again.  You're expecting the same mobility he demonstrated in 2021 pre-knee crush to be the same as he is in 2022.  I'm not buying it.  He's going to need to be more careful or he'll risk another similar injury. 

Physically, he may be perfectly fine whenever he returns.  But from a coaching perspective and mental perspective, he simply can't be the same guy.

People need to stop diagnosing a meniscus injury 

• Upvote 2

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

My opinion changes when new data comes in, yes.  I thought he was toast after week 1.  He demonstrated he is not this week.  What's your issue with that, exactly?  

What Flacco showed was that even a piece of washed up disinterested toast can succeed in this offense and Zach Wilson cannot. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Fine.  Meanwhile, some people need to stop assuming Wilson is Jalen Hurts and that knee injuries have zero impact on a player's behavior on the field.

Don’t get that being more mobile than Joe Flacco make you Jalen Hurts either.  
He’s not a running QB but he can run.  Didn’t he peel off that long run in the Jax game, after a much worse knee injury?  

• Upvote 1

Just now, Jet Nut said:

Don’t get that being more mobile than Joe Flacco make you Jalen Hurts either.  
He’s not a running QB but he can run.  Didn’t he peel off that long run in the Jax game, after a much worse knee injury?  

The vaunted Jaguar D, you mean.

Sam Darnold had a long run against the Broncos that one time, too.  Don't see anyone calling him a speed demon.  

3 minutes ago, nj meadowlands said:

Rough times out there on Narrative Street today!!

It’s rough because, predictably, the usual suspects have run in to say “Zach Wilson could have done that too!” because they’re having seizures watching yet another scrub Jets QB pit up stats in the same offense that Zach Wilson tanks every time he takes the field

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The vaunted Jaguar D, you mean.

Sam Darnold had a long run against the Broncos that one time, too.  Don't see anyone calling him a speed demon.  

Which excuse comes next? 
What does how good the Jax defense is have to do with your contention he won’t trust the knee etc?

i didn’t call ZW a speed demon but compared to SD he is

11 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Hmm why not? Maybe he'll be more smart with how he finishes runs but what else would change? You think he's never gonna leave the pocket now?

Just now, Jet Nut said:

You know this how, by what a rookie did last season without the players Flacco had yesterday?

Yep! Flacco—sh*tty though he is—is averaging 61%, 308 yards, and 2.5 TD passes per game. That’s the bar for Zach Wilson, so I don’t want to hear a peep out of you and Fidelio when Zach comes back and is throwing for 145 yards per game. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Jet Nut said:

Which excuse comes next? 
What does how good the Jax defense is have to do with your contention he won’t trust the knee etc?

I'm making a guess here.  I had forgotten his injury last year was a knee too, thanks for reminding me!  So we're now talking about a QB with 2 knee injuries in 2 years, and people are seriously trying to argue that Wilson is a better fit for the offense than Flacco because of "mobility".

1) He isn't that mobile, and 2) he's now suffered 2 knee injuries.  Add those 2 things up and I'm not buying him being a better fit at all.  He needs to learn to throw from the pocket.  

2 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Hmm why not? Maybe he'll be more smart with how he finishes runs but what else would change? You think he's never gonna leave the pocket now?

No, but his tendency is certainly to depart the pocket at the first sign of trouble.  That doesn't bode well for his chances of succeeding and/or staying healthy in this league, considering how brittle he has proven to be so far.

8 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Yep! Flacco—sh*tty though he is—is averaging 61%, 308 yards, and 2.5 TD passes per game. That’s the bar for Zach Wilson, so I don’t want to hear a peep out of you and Fidelio when Zach comes back and is throwing for 145 yards per game. 

You were wrong about Flacco and now want to move onto ZW predictions?  
Here’s what I won’t do, not admit I was wrong and continue to claim that I was right

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

It’s rough because, predictably, the usual suspects have run in to say “Zach Wilson could have done that too!” because they’re having seizures watching yet another scrub Jets QB pit up stats in the same offense that Zach Wilson tanks every time he takes the field

More clown sh*t.

I'm making a guess here.  I had forgotten his injury last year was a knee too, thanks for reminding me!  So we're now talking about a QB with 2 knee injuries in 2 years, and people are seriously trying to argue that Wilson is a better fit for the offense than Flacco because of "mobility".

1) He isn't that mobile, and 2) he's now suffered 2 knee injuries.  Add those 2 things up and I'm not buying him being a better fit at all.  He needs to learn to throw from the pocket.  

Don’t forget the two shoulder surgeries in college. Kid is a bag of pretzels

• Upvote 1