The Tom Shame Thread

OilfieldJet

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I'm making a guess here.  I had forgotten his injury last year was a knee too, thanks for reminding me!  So we're now talking about a QB with 2 knee injuries in 2 years, and people are seriously trying to argue that Wilson is a better fit for the offense than Flacco because of "mobility".

1) He isn't that mobile, and 2) he's now suffered 2 knee injuries.  Add those 2 things up and I'm not buying him being a better fit at all.  He needs to learn to throw from the pocket.  

Better fit? TBD. But at least he's able to be shifty.  Doesn't have to be Lamar Jackson out there.  Literally anyone has better mobility then Joe Flacco right now lol. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Yep! Flacco—sh*tty though he is—is averaging 61%, 308 yards, and 2.5 TD passes per game. That’s the bar for Zach Wilson, so I don’t want to hear a peep out of you and Fidelio when Zach comes back and is throwing for 145 yards per game. 

And I don't want to hear sh*t from you when he averages 310, 65% and 3 TDs per game.  

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I'm making a guess here.  I had forgotten his injury last year was a knee too, thanks for reminding me!  So we're now talking about a QB with 2 knee injuries in 2 years, and people are seriously trying to argue that Wilson is a better fit for the offense than Flacco because of "mobility".

1) He isn't that mobile, and 2) he's now suffered 2 knee injuries.  Add those 2 things up and I'm not buying him being a better fit at all.  He needs to learn to throw from the pocket.  

Yes, because it’s true

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The Jets are not a playoff team this year with either at the qb position.

One qb is young and under contract in the upcoming years. One is not. The Jets owe it to themselves to find out what they have. It would be blind optimism to go about it any other way.

If you can have the "it is ok to root for a higher draft pick because it helps the team in the future rant", then this way only makes sense. 

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Maybe provide some memorable content before calling a long-time poster a clown, thanks.  

Maybe you post your comments and I will post mine.  Zack Wilson has not played a regular season down with this cast.  Yet Tom knows definitively what he can and cannot do.

Like I said, clown sh*t.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

The Jets are not a playoff team this year with either at the qb position.

One qb is young and under contract in the upcoming years. One is not. The Jets owe it to themselves to find out what they have. It would be blind optimism to go about it any other way.

If you can have the "it is ok to root for a higher draft pick because it helps the team in the future rant", then this way only makes sense. 

Given that Zach Wilson has roughly the same chance of being the long-term franchise QB as Joe Flacco, you, me and @T0mShane, I'm in no rush to see "what we have" in Wilson.  I'm pretty sure we know.  

Either way he'll play this year.  No doubt.  I just don't think he HAS to play in Week 4.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He just suffered a knee injury on a non-contact play while scrambling yet people keep pounding the table about Wilson's "mobility".

Yeah, not buying that.  He needs to learn to become a pocket passer.  He's not a scrambler.  

Besides, the pass protection was mostly fine yesterday.  Only 2 sacks and 4 QB Hits allowed all day against a very good pass rush.

You couldn't be more wrong about this point.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Again.  You're expecting the same mobility he demonstrated in 2021 pre-knee crush to be the same as he is in 2022.  I'm not buying it.  He's going to need to be more careful or he'll risk another similar injury. 

Physically, he may be perfectly fine whenever he returns.  But from a coaching perspective and mental perspective, he simply can't be the same guy.

His mobility was good with a knee brace on after he got hurt last year (look at his biggest runs and when they came - the jaguars run, the escape he made on 3rd down in Miami, etc.). I don't expect it to be different his year. And I certainly don't expect his elusiveness inside the pocket to be any worse. 

From a mental perspective, I think you are right, but only because his knee appears to be flimsy. Not because he did anything wrong in preseason -  he go hurt on a pretty routine-looking cut to me. 

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Given that Zach Wilson has roughly the same chance of being the long-term franchise QB as Joe Flacco, you, me and @T0mShane, I'm in no rush to see "what we have" in Wilson.  I'm pretty sure we know.  

Either way he'll play this year.  No doubt.  I just don't think he HAS to play in Week 4.

The larger window that you have to view the unknown, rather than re-witnessing the known, the better opportunity this club has to assess his value. It really is that. Anything else is malfeasance. 

18 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Yep! Flacco—sh*tty though he is—is averaging 61%, 308 yards, and 2.5 TD passes per game. That’s the bar for Zach Wilson, so I don’t want to hear a peep out of you and Fidelio when Zach comes back and is throwing for 145 yards per game. 

This is fair.  Despite the huge number of pass attempts Flacco is definitely setting a bar.

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Fine.  Meanwhile, some people need to stop assuming Wilson is Jalen Hurts and that knee injuries have zero impact on a player's behavior on the field.

I think they're having more impact on some members of the fan base who are clutching on to a narrative. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 56mehl56 said:

You couldn't be more wrong about this point.

Zach has a fairly extensive injury history at this point. He’d be advised to figure out how to no longer take hits on scrambles and rollouts. He’s a tiny guy with a pony-boy body. This is C Thomas Howell playing QB. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Zach has a fairly extensive injury history at this point. He’d be advised to figure out how to no longer take hits on scrambles and rollouts. He’s a tiny guy with a pony-boy body. This is C Thomas Howell playing QB. 

The non-stop Zach bashing is one thing but can you please leave your crappy Gen X references out of it???

• Haha 3

12 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

He had a shoulder injury in HS, a thumb injury at BYU and the 2 injuries with the Jets to his right knee which were remedied with surgery . This notion that he needs to be placed in a plastic bubble is comical. 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

He had a shoulder injury in HS, a thumb injury at BYU and the 2 injuries with the Jets to his right knee which were remedied with surgery . This notion that he needs to be placed in a plastic bubble is comical. 

Shoulders and knees are kinda important for a 6’1” QB who’s allergic to contact. 

• Haha 1