The Tom Shame Thread

OilfieldJet

1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

The Jets are not a playoff team this year with either at the qb position.

One qb is young and under contract in the upcoming years. One is not. The Jets owe it to themselves to find out what they have. It would be blind optimism to go about it any other way.

If you can have the "it is ok to root for a higher draft pick because it helps the team in the future rant", then this way only makes sense. 

Pittsburgh and the Bengals actually aren't good.   The Pats look mediocre at best.  We actually can make the playoffs with good QB play in this league.  

17 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Shoulders and knees are kinda important for a 6’1” QB who’s allergic to contact. 

He had the labrum repaired 5 years ago , and I've heard not one NFL scout or analyst show any concern over his shoulder or arm strength. The knee injury probably should have been operated on last season, but now that they've gone in scoped it and trimmed the meniscus there should not be concern going forward. 

I know you need Zach to fail because him succeeding takes away half of your content .

• Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

He had the labrum repaired 5 years ago , and I've heard not one NFL scout or analyst show any concern over his shoulder or arm strength. The knee injury probably should have been operated on last season, but now that they've gone in scoped it and trimmed the meniscus there should not be concern going forward. 

I know you need Zach to fail because him succeeding takes away half of your content .

Oddly the 49ers, the team that runs the "Shanahan System" traded their future to move up to 3.  

1 minute ago, jgb said:

No one should fault a GM for going all in to find a FQB. It’s the hardest position in sport to scout.

If Trey Lance was a Jet right now , he be labelled a bust by a majority of the posters here . JD would be criticized for taking a running QB from a school who played crap competition .

Here's his "extensive" injury history like Zach Wilson:

Feb 15, 2020Non-NFLKnee Meniscus Trim Trey Lance used crutches following a medical procedure for a lower-body injury suffered in high school.

Aug 29, 2021NFLHand Finger Fracture Lance suffered a finger injury during the preseason win against the Raiders. He was good for the 49ers' season opener against the Lions.

Oct 10, 2021NFLKnee Strain Grade 1 Lance suffered a left knee sprain in the 49ers' loss to the Arizona Cardinals. He missed one game.

Sep 18, 2022NFLPedal Ankle Fracture Lance's injury came on a zone-read run.

Sep 18, 2022NFLPedal Ankle Dislocation Lance's injury came on a zone-read run.

• Upvote 1

Just now, 56mehl56 said:

If Trey Lance was a Jet right now , he be labelled a bust by a majority of the posters here . JD would be criticized for taking a running QB from a school who played crap competition .

Feb 15, 2020Non-NFLKnee Meniscus Trim Trey Lance used crutches following a medical procedure for a lower-body injury suffered in high school.

Aug 29, 2021NFLHand Finger Fracture Lance suffered a finger injury during the preseason win against the Raiders. He was good for the 49ers' season opener against the Lions.

Oct 10, 2021NFLKnee Strain Grade 1 Lance suffered a left knee sprain in the 49ers' loss to the Arizona Cardinals. He missed one game.

Oh I didn’t say Lance wasn’t a bust. He might be. The problem isn’t drafting busts, it’s rolling them out there for 3 seasons to “see what we got.”

San Fran is smart. They had a backup plan.

18 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

1. You keep adding maladies at the same time you want to say that Zach doesn’t have injury concerns.

2. Please. The Zach Wilson Eye-blink won’t merit a footnote in my Giant Book O’ Content

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Half?

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Rightfully so.  The 49ers GM and HC will only have a job at the end of the season because they worked out a deal for Garrapollo to stay.  And those boobs passed on trading up for Zach.  

15 minutes ago, jgb said:

Oh I didn’t say Lance wasn’t a bust. He might be. The problem isn’t drafting busts, it’s rolling them out there for 3 seasons to “see what we got.”

San Fran is smart. They had a backup plan.

The 49ers brilliant HC and GM wasted a boatload of draft talent on trading up for a project.  They might keep their jobs because Garrapollo was hurt and nobody wanted to trade for damaged goods.  

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Biggs said:

The 49ers brilliant HC and GM wasted a boatload of draft talent on trading up for a project.  They might keep their jobs because Garrapollo was hurt and nobody wanted to trade for damaged goods.  

Maybe so, but they sure are glad now they held whatever value line they had on Jimmy G.

Again, hard to fault a team for shooting for a FQB. I hate Geno more than basically any player of all time but I don’t blame Idzik for drafting him.

Just now, Warfish said:

T0m will always have content.  He's T0m.

Just wait till Zach becomes a star , it will start ungodly tension between T0m and JGB , they'll end up becoming the biggest split since Tom and Gisele . Who gets the memoirs , who gets the signed #2 jersey,  will one force the other to leave JetNation ?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Just wait till Zach becomes a star , it will start ungodly tension between T0m and JGB , they'll end up becoming the biggest split since Tom and Gisele . Who gets the memoirs , who gets the signed #2 jersey,  will one force the other to leave JetNation ?

I go where the data goes. If he becomes a star — not a hypothetical one based on “ceiling” or “potential” but a producing star — I’ll be all aboard, of course.

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

JN's Sacco and Vanzetti splitting up?   Never.

4 hours ago, slats said:

He was also right to challenge the non-catch on the first drive (really felt like that one should’ve been overturned), and on the phantom holding call that brought back MC1’s long run which resulted in the 57 yard FG. Those were two two very bad, damaging calls. 

And I think fans need to look at the rest of the league this early in the year. Frank Reich is getting shut out by the Jaguars with his 37-year-old QB; in Denver, the clock management was so bad that fans were counting down the play clock. The whole league is sloppy early, every year. Fans complain about the Jets soft practices, but that’s what today’s CBA allows, and where almost every other team is at. A few extra growing pains for a young team and staff like the Jets have should be expected. Just look at the league darling Bengals limping into town at 0-2. Teams just aren’t fully gelled, and the conditioning isn’t 100% this time of year. 

The league is a hot mess for at least 3 weeks.  Be careful that cuts both ways.  A badly coached, badly prepared team should be more competitive in the early part of the seasons.

Frank Reich is an interesting case.   Decent record as long as Luck or Rivers was his QB.  Those 2 QB's have had 1 lossing season in 23 starting years.  

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

You're right he's Lamar Jackson out there and every great QB in history failed to throw effectively from the pocket.  I have no grasp on history or the position and you know best.  I yield to your expert opinion. 

You stating he should be a pocket QB and not run shows how obtuse your opinion is on how QB is played today in the modern NFL game.  You have a grasp its just on looking for whatever negative drivel you can make up about Wilson. 

11 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Since covid , my wife and I have binge watched more TV than probably we watched our entire lives. 

I had a job where I was paid for what I knew, not what I did. So I would bring my laptop in and binge watch 10-14 hours of TV series that I probably downloaded illegally on the clock, lol. Since I retired, I’ve kind of retired watching TV. What I used to have on for the entire time I was awake, I now watch maybe a couple hours a night before bed outside of football. 

• Upvote 1