Take the Flacco hate and stick it

Untouchable

Who hates Flacco? I think most recognize what he is, a stop gap QB at this point. He is not the future or likely even the present for this team, he was a very good franchise QB, won a SB and an SB MVP, he can still play when needed occasionally, but I think what some see as hate is the reality that he is not the answer. He likely gives you a better chance to win this entire year than Zack Wilson or Mike White, but that also doesnt really help you beyond this year, and does anyone think this team is going on a deep playoff type run this year? They are likely 3rd or 4th team in division regardless of who plays QB this year. I don't see too many hating on him, just acknowledging what he is and isnt at this point.

1 minute ago, NYJCAP2 said:

Good post, Wilson needs to soak in how Flacco is getting the ball in the play makers hands and taking what the defense is giving them.

They don’t need hero ball or forced throws that become turnovers.

To be fair, it’s a whole lot easier when guys are that open. With the requisite amount of time from the OL, the only way to not hit both of the last 2 TDs is to simply not even look at them. Davis was open by >10 yards; that’s why it was such an easy TD on - when you look at the replay - an underthrown pass if anyone’s even near him (even stopping for the ball to arrive he still had enough separation to walk in). Then Wilson was clearly the #1 on that last play & got separation in the blink of an eye. Flacco did deliver both TD passes, but more credit goes to not screwing up gimme-plays that every backup QB is expected to make.

But what Wilson hopefully sees is this isn’t the offense he QB’d in last year’s final month. These guys will make plays if you just get the ball into their hands; it doesn’t have to be by the QB hitting a semi-covered guy in stride 40+ yards downfield. He can be a hero without the hero-ball, or something. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Just now, Sperm Edwards said:

To be fair, it’s a whole lot easier when guys are that open. With the requisite amount of time from the OL, the only way to not hit both of the last 2 TDs is to simply not even look at them. Davis was open by >10 yards; that’s why it was such an easy TD on - when you look at the replay - an underthrown pass if anyone’s even near him (even stopping for the ball to arrive he still had enough separation to walk in). Then Wilson was clearly the #1 on that last play & got separation in the blink of an eye. Flacco did deliver both TD passes, but more credit goes to not screwing up gimme-plays that every backup QB is expected to make.

But what Wilson hopefully sees is this isn’t the offense he QB’d in last year’s final month. These guys will make plays if you just get the ball into their hands; it doesn’t have to be by the QB hitting a semi-covered guy in stride 40+ yards downfield. He can be a hero without the hero-ball, or something. 

That second throw, the TD, was a perfectly paced dart. It was a great throw and catch.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Claymation said:

The Jets won because they finally have playmakers. Flacco was just the vessel that delivered the ball. 

White doesn't have the accuracy to hit Davis on that wide open bomb. 

Just the vessel that delivered the ball. Lmao. QB makes the weaponz. Always been that way and always will be.

13 minutes ago, OilfieldJet said:

That second throw, the TD, was a perfectly paced dart. It was a great throw and catch.

Maybe I should’ve put it another way: anything other than that throw and it’s a major screwup by Flacco.

Every QB with an NFL roster spot is expected to make that throw. I realize that doesn’t mean they all do it 100% of the time, but even if the throw wasn’t perfectly thrown he had a decent margin of error where it still would’ve resulted in a TD to Wilson.

It’s not a criticism of Flacco in the slightest; I’m still pumped about the win this next morning. Just that neither throw was a situation where only a perfect needle-threading toss results in a TD.

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

Who hates Flacco? I think most recognize what he is, a stop gap QB at this point. He is not the future or likely even the present for this team, he was a very good franchise QB, won a SB and an SB MVP, he can still play when needed occasionally, but I think what some see as hate is the reality that he is not the answer. He likely gives you a better chance to win this entire year than Zack Wilson or Mike White, but that also doesnt really help you beyond this year, and does anyone think this team is going on a deep playoff type run this year? They are likely 3rd or 4th team in division regardless of who plays QB this year. I don't see too many hating on him, just acknowledging what he is and isnt at this point.

The hell do you mean who hates him?

Never mind Mike White, we’ve had numerous people advocating for Chris f*cking Streveler over Flacco for multiple weeks now.

People are acting like Flacco is completely finished and isn’t even worthy of backup status.

Clearly that isn’t the case

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Weird take after a 4-TD day, including 2 TDs within a 1-minute span for the win.  But ok.  

What about the strip sack in Browns territory where he had a clean pocket to his left but never sensed the pressure and never stepped up. His immobility greatly limits him.  As others said give him time and protection he can be efficient. Glad he pulled out the W but when Wilson is healthy he starts.  

2 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

The hell do you mean who hates him?

Never mind Mike White, we’ve had numerous people advocating for Chris f*cking Streveler over Flacco for multiple weeks now.

People are acting like Flacco is completely finished and isn’t even worthy of backup status.

Clearly that isn’t the case

Ill say it again, not thinking Flacco is the future of this team is not equal to hating him. Wanting to see if White, or Streveler, or Wilson are the future of this team at the qB position is not hating Joe Flacco, its acknowleging his age and the fact that he is at the end of his career. 

28 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

My only worry with when he comes back are those gimme throws that he just flat out missed last year. I fully expect them again this year and those will just kill a drive. A few of those short passes and even that pass to Hall for the TD? Could've been a miss for Wilson. 

11 minutes ago, Claymation said:

In this age of the NFL, the Weapons make the QB. 

The age old question where neither side will ever agree, although NFL teams are on my side with this one.

Will be interesting to see — for example — the difference in DK Metcalf and Lockett’s production this year. 

I still think of Flacco as a guy who gets you "respectable losses" and I don't see how yesterday changed anything.  It took an absolute miracle for the Jets to win.  The Browns' defense fell asleep and then the Jets recovered an onside kick.  The chances of that happening are like those of winning the lottery.

I still think Flacco is the most boring QB in the NFL (or certainly up there) and I can't stand how much Saleh is in awe of the guy (as we saw in the post-game hug).  But I'll admit Flacco absolutely made the plays he had to in order to win us the game and he played better than I gave him credit for.   And it WAS a huge win for the morale of this team, which is good for the young players (to not feel like they're stuck in football purgatory). 

It will be very interesting to see what happens vs Cincy next week though.  Can this win jump-start the Jets and maybe the season starts to turn into something?  Let's hope so but I'm tempering my expectations until they show me.  

• Thumb Down 1

19 minutes ago, Claymation said:

Is Tua a good QB without Tyrek?

Yes Tua has been criminally underrated for years and I’ve commented on this many times.

Good weaponz can elevate a QB, of course. But they cant make a glue nag into a stud pony.

Meanwhile, Peyton Manning can make Austin Collie a thing.

7 hours ago, k-met57 said:

what a chicken little take man....you need help.

i think you need help if you seen anything more from Zach Wilson last year.

listen we all want Zach to be our FQB. but we cant lie to ourselves. what Flacco has done these last 2 weeks have put more pressure on Zack. and you can see this board is starting to change its mind on Flacco. i see alot more Flacco has earned another start or play Flacco until he sucks posts then last week. only the die hard Zach fans want to see him next week.

plus Saleh will totally lose the locker room if he goes with Zach after what Flacco did.

2 hours ago, Claymation said:

Is Tua a good QB without Tyrek?

No matter how good of a QB you are if you don’t have weapons or a oline you aren’t going to be successful.  If you put Mahomes on the 2018-20 Jets teams then you’re seeing a much much much different players that’s just the truth 

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Be happy with a team win and the play of the young guys?  Sure!

Throwing rose petals at joe flaccos feet as if this is some great resurgence of a player?  That is getting carried away.

Sorry dude, but the guy played well.  Can't understand why you can't just say that.  

Nobody is expecting him to be Tom Brady.  But the guy did what we needed him to do.  

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Jets723 said:

No matter how good of a QB you are if you don’t have weapons or a oline you aren’t going to be successful.  If you put Mahomes on the 2018-20 Jets teams then you’re seeing a much much much different players that’s just the truth 

He'd still be at minimum a top 10 QB though.  

If a QB really were THAT dependent on his supporting cast and coaching staff for his success, then teams wouldn't devote roughly 1/6 of their caps to their QB, and OC's would be paid a LOT more.

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He'd still be at minimum a top 10 QB though.  

If a QB really were THAT dependent on his supporting cast and coaching staff for his success, then teams wouldn't devote roughly 1/6 of their caps to their QB, and OC's would be paid a LOT more.

Who knows honestly.  I think we can both agree that the Chiefs did a great job surrounding him with weapons and a OL

On 9/18/2022 at 5:16 PM, shawn306 said:

Now don’t go crazy. Flacco is doing what a backup QB should be doing. Keeping the boat steady until the starter gets back. 

This is going the Zach’s team. 

Sure.  And there is no issue in giving Flacco props for playing as well when called upon.  But it seems there are a few on here that can't seem to swallow their pride and just say "Hey, Flacco played great."  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

Who knows honestly.  I think we can both agree that the Chiefs did a great job surrounding him with weapons and a OL

They did indeed.  But you know who else they built around nicely?  Alex Smith.  And despite coming off a career year, Andy Reid kicked him to the curb in favor of Mahomes. 

Alex Smith was a good QB who produced very nicely in a great system with great weapons.  But Reid clearly saw something more in Mahomes and it paid off.  That's not an accident.

The difference in what Mahomes produced vs Alex Smith in the same system is proof positive that the QB matters more than any other factor, and that your QB needs to have a skillset and brain to succeed to make everything else work.

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

They did indeed.  But you know who else they built around nicely?  Alex Smith.  And despite coming off a career year, Andy Reid kicked him to the curb in favor of Mahomes. 

Alex Smith was a good QB who produced very nicely in a great system with great weapons.  But Reid clearly saw something more in Mahomes and it paid off.  That's not an accident.

Absolutely. I wasn’t implying that Alex Smith was a better talent than Mahomes.  I was just saying you put him with the Jets supporting cast of the previous 3 years he wouldn’t have the same success.  That’s not an indictment on him but the fact is if you have no oline and no weapons your QB isn’t producing much.  Now if you put Mahomes with Carter, Hall, Wilson, Moore, etc then he will be like he has been in his career 

Credit all gas no brakes~

Saleh has remained consistent and persistent with his messages. Foosball is a team sport Bobby!

The whole team contributed to that W and it was glorious!

I was a manager in my industry for 23 years and believe you me, getting young people to buy into what you preach is not easy. I honestly didn't think these young guys would play hard for Flacco.

I credit the GM and the HC and the whole culture change. Let's hope we keep it up.