Max Mitchell ?

FlightBoyz

12 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

At the half people were trashing him lol.

I think he's held up well given the spot he's in but I'm noticing we're shifting a lot of help his way too. 

Ideally he wouldn't be near the starting lineup yet. 

Agreed, although I would say it's good and smart to shift help towards the 4th round rookie playing against monstrous edge rushers. 

53 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Does that mean we can stop wasting 1st round picks on OL?

Certainly feels like putting them into WR and CB's seems to pay bigger dividends..

May need one more….Fant is 30+, and while a better than average pass blocker is a less than desirable run blocker. Not sure he’s worth a franchise LT payday at this point. 
If Brown comes back and plays a serviceable LT later this season while Mitchell holds his own, I can easily see where Fant is gone and Brown is back next year based on cap implications while we draft another long term LT. IMO 

3 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

May need one more….Fant is 30+, and while a better than average pass blocker is a less than desirable run blocker. Not sure he’s worth a franchise LT payday at this point. 
If Brown comes back and plays a serviceable LT later this season while Mitchell holds his own, I can easily see where Fant is gone and Brown is back next year based on cap implications while we draft another long term LT. IMO 

I think the point is, we don't need to continue to put 1st round assets into OL.  Solid OL can be found in later rounds or cheap in FA.

We see what a Sauce or GWills can have in a game.

Stop drafting OL - and draft impact positions.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

Does that mean we can stop wasting 1st round picks on OL?

Certainly feels like putting them into WR and CB's seems to pay bigger dividends..

Doubt it - if Becton doesn't come back, we will need a long term LT - Fant isn't it I don't think.

Could use a center as well, Mangold was a great pick for bottom of 1st.

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

Both are old and Brown is expensive. But, one step at a time; hopefully he is the RT for a long time to come.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Beerfish said:

5th rounder makes our 11th overall fat bitch expendable  (whom Douglas also picked) ....gives Douglas props.  ?

Sure

Admit your mistake and move on

I don’t fault Douglas for taking Becton. He was a true mountain man with Ogden like potential.

Unfortunately, he’s turned out to be a thin skinned puss who can’t put down the Haagen-Dazs, can’t stay on the field and seems more concerned with his Twitch career.

• Upvote 2

Line was a major improvement today over last week.  Very encouraging.  Max Mitchell has been outstanding considering hes been thrown into the fire before he was truly ready.  Great job by this kid.
Hard to tell from the TV coverage but definitely seems like this ol got better later in the game...I think clowney got hurt and that may have had a bit of an impact

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

Both are old and Brown is expensive. But, one step at a time; hopefully he is the RT for a long time to come.

Both are old, but Brown is now a sunk cost for at least another year based on cap $. Fant is not. 

Point was, IF Brown can play this year and give hope he can play next year too, not sure signing Fant long term is a slam dunk going forward. And we’ll still need another OT with LT potential in the pipline

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Irish Jet said:

At the half people were trashing him lol.

I think he's held up well given the spot he's in but I'm noticing we're shifting a lot of help his way too. 

Ideally he wouldn't be near the starting lineup yet. 

Yeah but talk about being “thrown into the fire”, you look up that phrase and you see a picture of this kid.  He Never got Any Reps with the first Unit in TC, and now here he is facing off against Pro Bowlers as a mid round pick.

He might work his way into being like a Fabini as someone mentioned.  How great would that be.  Serious score with a late draft pick.

Oh yeah, and he isn’t fast and Alert covering that fumble near the end…Game Over….0-2.

• Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

This is what I also expect, and what we should want. 

Mitchell still has to show more, to give them all the needed confidence that he can credibly start 15+ games by continuing to improve, but this would be a best-case scenario.

They have pending FA holes with Fant and McGovern. If they don’t need to give Fant an $18-20MM/year extension, it’s in the team’s interest to move on. Not like Fant had been either a great run blocker or even a model of health through his 20s. 

Bring back Brown & then also draft a LT in April, but they don’t need to act desperate to trade up to draft one in the first round. It’s a near-ideal pipeline, since Brown should have no delusions that he’s the Jets’ or anyone’s long-term solution, and at 38 shouldn’t get insulted by the Jets planning their post-Brown future while he’s still penciled in as the starter. If Douglas really wanted, he could even cut or renegotiate down with Brown if they get the LT they were targeting, and I think they have until the season starts to make that decision, so they can get a good long look at a rookie all summer first. Or just keep him anyway, figuring the total LT1+LT2 cost is still quite reasonable.

Plus whatever (if anything) Becton contributes is gravy, whether earning a starting job or just riding out his final year here as a swing tackle. He’s not super-expensive and his contract’s fully guaranteed anyway, so despite understandable fan desire to throw him into the ocean and harpoon him, on paper there’s nothing lost by bringing him back (he’s either hurt & inactive on IR, or he’s active and contributing; the cap cost is the same either way).

Anyway, we’ve seen worse tackle play, and in theory this should be as bad as Mitchell gets.