Herm out

JOJOTOWNSELL

1 hour ago, JOJOTOWNSELL said:

I thought this was some new dance craze ?

Like some Jets fan screams HERM! And Jets fans start convulsingly dancing like people possessed until the next whistle blows. 

• Haha 2

The Jets won despite his awful coaching 20 years ago. The Pennington 4 step back kneel for a 48 yard fg attempt against the Steelers in the playoffs still has me shaking my head. 

guy was a moron that couldn’t be called out on it because it would have been deemed racist. But now after kc and this he’s finished, embarrassed and humiliated.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 3

I'll say it again.  Whatever you think of Herm's coaching ability, the team had success under him.  2 10 win seasons and a 9 win season where we won the division (which we've only done twice in franchise history).  He also got the team to the playoffs 3 times in 5 years and won 2 playoff games (and would've won a 3rd were it not for Doug Brien). 

image.png.b984033518217ed9c5d24c394a0ce383.png

• Upvote 2

I don’t think he’s a bad coach and some of those years the program won games and was respectable. But never on a national stage. It was mostly the recruiting scandal and hard to separate the HC no matter how many denials on that. Plus as you saw with Nebraska the key donors are very impatient. Just a few years ago they recruited Frost out of UCF paid him big money as a dream candidate who built a great program there and is a former Husker starting Qb (and Jets DB).  And just last week they fired him and agreed to pay him about 14 million to leave. And now there are rumors they’re interested in Urban Meyer. These rich alumni donors as we see in politics have endless pockets. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I'll say it again.  Whatever you think of Herm's coaching ability, the team had success under him.  2 10 win seasons and a 9 win season where we won the division (which we've only done twice in franchise history).  He also got the team to the playoffs 3 times in 5 years and won 2 playoff games (and would've won a 3rd were it not for Doug Brien). 

image.png.b984033518217ed9c5d24c394a0ce383.png

A 5 year run with a 9 win and two 10 win seasons; they would build you a statue for that today.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

Herm is a very nice person.   Big time College football is as dirty as it gets.  Hard to believe Herm actually knowingly cheated.  He may not have been the brightest bulb but he always gave the appearance of  being decent and not a guy to cut corners to get ahead.   I think players actually loved Herm.  Doesn't make him a great HC but I simply don't see him involved in a big time recriuting scandal.  I can definetely see some in the Alumni doing a lot behind the scenes and Herm not even being aware of it.  

AZ is a State school that spent a fortune rehabing the stadium and has consistently shut out in state students for foreign students to get higher tuition.  These big State colleges are failing their mission for big time money in every aspect of their mission.  

I suspect Herm is simply a victim and was badly tooled. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

On 9/20/2022 at 1:03 AM, More Cowbell said:

Heard about this on the radio. They wouldn't  let him back in the locker room 

Yup...and now this.

https://saturdayoutwest.com/arizona-state-sun-devils/report-arizona-state-staffers-were-leaking-info-to-help-opponents-get-herm-edwards-fired/

In the wake of Sunday’s news Herm Edwards will no longer be the head coach at Arizona State, The Athletic’s Doug Haller took a lengthy look at the Edwards tenure in Tempe and how things fell apart.

Though Edwards never had a losing season, he entered the 2022 campaign very firmly on the hot seat. So much so, according to Haller, that people inside the athletic department were loose with team intel in the hopes of inducing a coaching change.

From Haller’s report:

An opposing coach recently told The Athletic that it wasn’t hard to get intel on this season’s team because some within Arizona State athletics wanted a coaching change.

That’s not what you want to see.

Haller also reported that Edwards “never bothered” to familiarize himself with NCAA bylaws and made some in the department feel he had to be babysat.

Edwards and Arizona State officially ‘parted ways’ on Sunday, less than 24 hours after the Sun Devils lost 30-21 to Eastern Michigan at home. Athletic director Ray Anderson termed the separation not as a firing, but as Edwards “relinquishing” his duties as head coach.

The program is currently being investigated by the NCAA for alleged recruiting violations under Edwards’ watch and, as a result, interest in the program from both a recruiting standpoint and a fan standpoint has dipped. Edwards went 26-20 as the program’s head coach.

The Sun Devils host No. 13 Utah on Saturday.

Edited by AFJF
  • Upvote 1

On 9/19/2022 at 3:02 AM, Irish Jet said:

Guy ran Curtin Martin’s knees into dust and Larry Johnson’s brain into a pancake, which coincidentally he now believes is the same shape as the earth.

Is Herm a flat-earther??? What a wasted opportunity that he wasn’t Jets HC at the same time Geno was here.