Google Enters the Ring with Apple and Amazon with Surprise 'NFL Sunday Ticket' Bid

Ken Schroy

9 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

It's impressive how badly Direct TV screwed the pooch. They had the exclusive Sunday Ticket license or DECADES and failed miserably at providing a streaming option to the masses as the world was clearly moving that direction. Was it incompetence or arrogance? 

Neither. AT&T bought them and then stopped caring once the Warner merger happened.

• Upvote 2

56 minutes ago, DLJ said:

Everyone has Amazon prime at this point. Amazon would be the easy choice here.

Just tired of businesses like the NFL trying to shoe horn people into a ‘choice’ Which limits distribution. A lot of people have YouTube TV, a lot have Apple TV, alot have Disney and a lot have DirectTV. Just sell it to each of them and let them set the price for them to make a profit. It’s better for consumers that way. Consumers of NFL Sunday Ticket are not one huge audience of people that want to be shepherded to another provider. 

• Upvote 1

On 12/17/2022 at 7:40 AM, Integrity28 said:

Amazon winning it would suck. Direct TV is awful as the current carrier, mostly because getting it without their normal service is wonky. I did it thru my PlayStation.

It jumping to Amazon would theoretically improve access to it, but Amazon Video is hands down the worst performing app in the Firestick. It almost always  crashes while trying to browse. I buy stuff on Amazon, then sync it to Mivies Anywhere to watch it. I gave up on all of their streaming shows. Too frustrating.

Probably switching to Roku after Christmas. So… At least it’d work with Google.

Amazon is the worst performing app in every platform. The UI sucks the support sucks because none of them know WTF they are talking about and in that case I would be rooting for Google and You Tube TV but they would have to open up a hell of a lot of bandwidth to make this work because they have some troubles now. 

On 12/17/2022 at 6:54 AM, Barry McCockinner said:

The Amazon app on xbox works great. Never had a problem with it and TNF is the best streaming sport experience I've seen. Maybe it's just the firestick amazon app that sucks? Or the firestick?

Amazon app on Apple TV is by far the worst app for streaming and ease of use. Utter garbage. 

• Upvote 1

I don’t get how this can be allowed with the huge delays that still occur in streaming. It’s a really bad thing for live sports — doubly so when our phones are a portal into instant info. Seems weird the NFL would do this. Lotta people are gonna be a minute or more behind games. 

29 minutes ago, DireJet said:

I don’t get how this can be allowed with the huge delays that still occur in streaming. It’s a really bad thing for live sports — doubly so when our phones are a portal into instant info. Seems weird the NFL would do this. Lotta people are gonna be a minute or more behind games. 

$$$

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, DireJet said:

It's 2022. People want to stream everything and the numbers will only continue to skew that way.

Many people don't have cable anymore.

It's not a big deal to be on a stream delay.

2 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

It's 2022. People want to stream everything and the numbers will only continue to skew that way.

Agree 99%

The one caveat is gambling.  I don't bet on sports but a friend told me that all these betting sites like MGM and DraftKings are heading towards really intricate betting options like placing bets on individual plays, etc.  If it's 3rd and 6 and you want to bet whether a team converts then you really better not have any kind of delay, right?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Stream delay is bad if you’re betting on live sports. Also bad if you have a lot of people texting you that are on cable.

1 minute ago, jetstream23 said:

Agree 99%

The one caveat is gambling.  I don't bet on sports but a friend told me that all these betting sites like MGM and DraftKings are heading towards really intricate betting options like placing bets on individual plays, etc.  If it's 3rd and 6 and you want to bet whether a team converts then you really better not have any kind of delay, right?

Sports betting apps have the quickest updates on earth. The line will instantly move and you’ll know the outcome of a play based on that (even if the play-by-play tracker isn’t updated yet). Not sure how they get it so quickly. It’s wired directly in or something. 

4 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Agree 99%

Yeah, I’d gather over 90% of people are betting these completely blind. Maybe state regulators didn’t understand the concept but the betting apps are always way ahead of a stream and slightly ahead of cable. 

On 12/16/2022 at 10:06 PM, Bugg said:

If you are an out of market fan, I get why Sunday Ticket works. Had it for a few years, but it's really too much, again, unless you have no alternative. But otherwise Red Zone is all you need. Find myself watching the Jets and then switching to RZ when that game is over or they      aren't playing. 

This.  I had the Sunday Ticket for two years.  The first year was free after changing to DirectTV for a service.  Too much money when I only really carried for the Patriots' game.  And I usually ended up watching the RZ 90% of the time.  It is far more compelling.  

17 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Agree 99%

On 12/17/2022 at 9:23 PM, greenwave81 said:

Exactly…me too, but I go back to 1994. 

not sure why the NFL is looking for an exclusive deal here. Figure out your price point for any provider that wants to offer it to their subscribers…say $1 bill/yr. Then let the companies figure out how to make money on the product they buy from the NFL. But make it ONE product. Don’t want to have Amazon to watch on Thursday for example.  When companies get exclusive deals, customers usually get screwed. I’m paying for DirecTV for the NFL package and paying a lot more for regular service just for the privilege. Perhaps ESPN/Disney, Google, Apple and even DirecTV could continue to make money if they each paid the NFL $1 Bill/yr  based on what their individual subscribers want. 

I think the exclusive part makes it much more valuable to the provider and in turn the NFL.

Great news for me. I'm cancelling Directv after the last weekend of the regular season. The Jets and the Ticket are the only reason I've put up with my signal going out whenever it rains. I really hope he right about the standalone a la carte purchase option because I don't want Youtube TV just the Sunday Ticket.

• Upvote 1