Tyler Conklin and these Frigging Fumbles

SoFlaJets

1 minute ago, jgb said:

We will have a direct comparitor soon enough.

Flacco had a day, and there is nothing but positivity today. I'm sure Flacco has been in that type of 2 minute drill more than multiple times in his career. His experice showed and the Jets won because of it. Flacco and Wilson are not at similar points of their career. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 2

I still love what he brings to the team.  Ruckert isn’t ready yet and you don’t bail on someone this early.  Yes, he absolutely needs to fix this and I expect after next week we will all be very happy with him as he is an integral part of the game plan to beat Cincy.  I predict a big game from him where it all comes together.

• Upvote 1

It’s disappointing, but the fumble yesterday was a really good punch out by the defender, and Mitchell made it irrelevant by landing on it. I expected a lot more out of the TE position this year, and it may still come, but right now they’re running some 21 personnel with MC1 and Hall on the field at the same time and have four WRs that they also need to get the ball to. A rare first world problem for the team. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, slats said:

It’s disappointing, but the fumble yesterday was a really good punch out by the defender, and Mitchell made it irrelevant by landing on it. I expected a lot more out of the TE position this year, and it may still come, but right now they’re running some 21 personnel with MC1 and Hall on the field at the same time and have four WRs that they also need to get the ball to. A rare first world problem for the team. 

We didn't even use Berrios at all in the passing game yesterday.  Just the two sweeps.  We have plenty of guys who can go out and get the ball.

What we need the TEs to do well for now is chip blocking.  I think it was Conklin that had a critical catch after a chip on the right side that converted a late 3rd down.  The announcers called it out as a perfect play.  Until this line solidifies, that is going to be a critical help to put the TE as an extra blocker on 3rd downs.  Especially against guys like Garrett (of which there aren't that many, but somehow we seem to face one every week). 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

51 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Ruckert should def see more snaps. His blocking was really good. I know he had the drop but I think he’ll be good as time goes on. 

I loved that play design even though he dropped it. Green Bay runs that sh*t all the time, he could be lethal with that play call alone 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SoFlaJets said:

Aren't TE's supposed to be big tough guys who once they get a ball in their arms it stays there? Two games in a row this guy has fumbled. I would really like to see Lawrence Cager getting some of these plays drawn up for the TE position 

Didn't  Cager like suck against the Ravens and got benched.

The fumbles have been disappointing, but my feeling that it's just a stretch of bad luck and he'll get it right.

It's obvious this team greatly values his contributions to the offense.  Besides for Flacco and the OL, Conklin was the only player who played every offensive snap in Week 2.  He's been instrumental in opening up some running lanes where he is pulling as the lead blocker.  He's also been a big red zone target.

Unless the fumbles become a real problem, his role on the team isn't changing.  He had a TD in Week 1, six receptions in Week 2, and he's doing alot of things that don't show up in the stat line.

So what happens if Flacco throws for 300 yards again with 3 more TDs and no  interceptions? Are you guys gonna be OK with Wilson getting the next start? Considering there's going to be no room for some "learning curve" in the AFCE with Miami, Buffalo and NE all being good teams?

• Thumb Down 1

9 hours ago, SoFlaJets said:

Aren't TE's supposed to be big tough guys who once they get a ball in their arms it stays there? Two games in a row this guy has fumbled. I would really like to see Lawrence Cager getting some of these plays drawn up for the TE position 

i was very pisst that we kept going to him and ty johnson, shouldnt that target be better to another person?

3 minutes ago, SoFlaJets said:

So what happens if Flacco throws for 300 yards again with 3 more TDs and no  interceptions? Are you guys gonna be OK with Wilson getting the next start? Considering there's going to be no room for some "learning curve" in the AFCE with Miami, Buffalo and NE all being good teams?

Yes. 

He’s probably 100% healthy right now. They’re giving him an extra week or two to get stronger/more confident and more practice before playing him. But they have to play him. They have a #2 overall pick and $35M guaranteed invested in him. He has to play, and needs to be a significant upgrade from Joe Flacco in short order. If he’s not going to be, the team needs to know that sooner rather than later. I know you want wins now, Jimmy, I get it. But they need to find out if Zach Wilson is a keeper, or if they’re gonna have to cut bait. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

I think Conklin will be fine.  Not the ideal start for his Jet career but like somebody else said I think some bad luck had played into it.  I do think he will end up being an asset for us and Zach this season 

There's the key word "luck" if you're not going to get getting any help whatsoever from the refs (like Cleveland was obviously getting yesterday), than you absolutely must have some luck factoring into the equation. Those tipped balls must sometimes land into a Jets arms and a fumble or two get recovered like Mitchell did  and that insides kick. I'll tell ya, another week with a couple of breaks and we may just be a team that can make the playoffs-with some luck and some calls, and a good QB playing of course

5 minutes ago, slats said:

Yes. 

He’s probably 100% healthy right now. They’re giving him an extra week or two to get stronger/more confident and more practice before playing him. But they have to play him. They have a #2 overall pick and $35M guaranteed invested in him. He has to play, and needs to be a significant upgrade from Joe Flacco in short order. If he’s not going to be, the team needs to know that sooner rather than later. I know you want wins now, Jimmy, I get it. But they need to find out if Zach Wilson is a keeper, or if they’re gonna have to cut bait. 

I believe that a young QB should sit behind a veteran and learn. It used to be 5 years Slats, hey, I'm not greedy , I'll take 3 OK, 2 even. We should not have to sacrifice a season to find out if ONE PLAYER is good enough when the team could be able to make a playoff run, if they can str=ing together a good 1st quarter season. I don't care WHAT Johnson's paying him, that has nothing to do with whether he should play or not Yes I want wins, I want them NOW, it's been a decade bro, this is getting ridiculous. Savage 69 died waiting for the Jets to win again and they never did, I don't want to be the next one, I'm gonna her 67 in a couple of weeks-I'm running out of Sundays

• Thumb Down 1

The TE group has been the most disappointing to me, so far. If anything, I expected Garrett Wilson to struggle coming out of the gate, but aside from a few drops, he's been fantastic. Hopefully the TE's wake up soon. If so, this offense can be pretty damn good (with the right QB, of course).

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, SoFlaJets said:

I believe that a young QB should sit behind a veteran and learn. It used to be 5 years Slats, hey, I'm not greedy , I'll take 3 OK, 2 even. We should not have to sacrifice a season to find out if ONE PLAYER is good enough when the team could be able to make a playoff run, if they can str=ing together a good 1st quarter season. I don't care WHAT Johnson's paying him, that has nothing to do with whether he should play or not Yes I want wins, I want them NOW, it's been a decade bro, this is getting ridiculous. Savage 69 died waiting for the Jets to win again and they never did, I don't want to be the next one, I'm gonna her 67 in a couple of weeks-I'm running out of Sundays

I hear you, but in the days you’re talking about those QBs got paid nothing, and there was no free agency. They were stuck. Much different times. I wish they could’ve sat Zach last year for at least the first quarter of the season, but they chose not to do that. What’s done is done. Right now, they’re giving him a prolonged absence as it is, imho. They have to get him back on the field and see what they have. That’s more important than chasing the fool’s gold of the playoffs this year. You can’t have Wilson start the last three weeks of the season after they’re mathematically eliminated and hope to have any real idea of what he might be heading into 2023. Now you’re not only wasting this season, but the next one, too. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, slats said:

I hear you, but in the days you’re talking about those QBs got paid nothing, and there was no free agency. They were stuck. Much different times. I wish they could’ve sat Zach last year for at least the first quarter of the season, but they chose not to do that. What’s done is done. Right now, they’re giving him a prolonged absence as it is, imho. They have to get him back on the field and see what they have. That’s more important than chasing the fool’s gold of the playoffs this year. You can’t have Wilson start the last three weeks of the season after they’re mathematically eliminated and hope to have any real idea of what he might be heading into 2023. Now you’re not only wasting this season, but the next one, too. 

I guess it's because I don't think he has "it" bro. I don't believe in this kid and I don't like his "game" he's a one trick pony Slats, all he seems to be able to do is that roll out and throw on the run thing-essentially play sandlot football. It's no wonder he is very breakable. You can't play the game like that in this day and age, these guys are too big and too strong and way too fast. He hasn't shown me that he's even better than the 4th stringer on the team. Look, I hope I'm wrong but I have been watching this game a long time and I have seen what a strarting NFL QB looks like, and they don't look much different in 2022 than they did when I watched Bart Starr play in the 1st 2 Super Bowls.  Zach Wilson is Joe Kapp maybe a little bit of Fran Tarkenton but not as tough as either one. Streveler is Billy Kilmer, Mike White and Joe Flacco are classic Len Dawson drop back guys, Those guys last.

6 minutes ago, SoFlaJets said:

I guess it's because I don't think he has "it" bro. I don't believe in this kid and I don't like his "game" he's a one trick pony Slats, all he seems to be able to do is that roll out and throw on the run thing-essentially play sandlot football. It's no wonder he is very breakable. You can't play the game like that in this day and age, these guys are too big and too strong and way too fast. He hasn't shown me that he's even better than the 4th stringer on the team. Look, I hope I'm wrong but I have been watching this game a long time and I have seen what a strarting NFL QB looks like, and they don't look much different in 2022 than they did when I watched Bart Starr play in the 1st 2 Super Bowls.  Zach Wilson is Joe Kapp maybe a little bit of Fran Tarkenton but not as tough as either one. Streveler is Billy Kilmer, Mike White and Joe Flacco are classic Len Dawson drop back guys, Those guys last.

You can’t know that.  The only way is to see him play.  This year he has actual nfl weapons 

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

You can’t know that.  The only way is to see him play.  This year he has actual nfl weapons 

Don't forget 723, we have had a pretty good size view on Zach Wilson data going back to when he was drafted until now-if one pays attention.

I, like everyone else was very excited to see our new toy last year and I followed along very closely all camp-read every day on his progress, then watched the pre-season stuff and then we had  what 13 games to see him play last year. Then, again this year, there was the pre-camp get togethers with teammates and we were liking this whole new take charge leadership guy he was becoming and then camp starts.  On Twitter you are able to follow practically every pass every day at practice by following the guys whose job it is to cover the team and who have access and phones that they use to show us things and virtually every play-good and bad. So I knew what I was looking for and at what I was seeing   and what it was all starting to mean, and that was that I was NOT seeing any difference between the Zach Wilson of last summer to this one this year-there should have been a lot of improvement-there just was not. There were articles being written about whether he was ready to take the next step or not and there were doubts and *****THEN***** right before the 1st pre-season game he had a good week of practice and our hopes are sky high again and then in the 1st pre-season game the guy throws an INT in the 1st quarter 5 passes later and bam the kid is gone -hurt again.  Like I said if you paid attention like I have been ALL ALONG you would see that he isn't showing us much as far as progressing into a Franchise QB.

I hope I'm wrong, I really do, I want EVERY JETS PLAYER to succeed every single one who wears our team's uniforms-As an ex scrub HS QB who was a star on the mall parking lot night games in Garwood NJ in the mid 70's I always watch the quarterback position, I( know when a guy is good and when they probably never will be.  There was another guy who I had high hopes for his name was Browning Nagel and he had the luxury of sitting on Bruce Coslett's bench behind Boomer Esaison before finally getting his big chance-that he blew and he ended up being replaced by an old cagey Vet from The Ravens a guy named Vinny something or other did pretty good too as I recall