Denzel Mims

Jet hustle

On the one hand, I still don't see that Jeff Smith adds a lot to the offense.  On the other, I'm not sure Mims could add much either.  our WRs are cooking with gas on high right now.  Even in the red zone, we have answers.  I was a supporter of getting him active, but at this point, he would probably not see much more than the 1 target Smith got.  Unless we truly see him developing into the Corey Davis replacement, he's pretty much stuck in neutral.

JD is slowly working thru the stages of grief that are his first draft.  Clark, Zuniga, Perine and Morgan are already gone.  Davis and Hall are barely playing.  Mann is going to have a steady stream of competitors in his face however long he lasts here.  Suspect Mims will eventually get traded for a day 3 pick and the cherry on top will be dealing with Becton next year.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Weird they didnt honor his trade request if there were truly some inquiries.  What's the point of keeping him to just deactivate him every game?

Yeah it's weird. Maybe they only got back 5th or 6th round offers and were just like, f it, we'll keep him for depth incase of injury. I mean it's not a terrible idea if he's not being a problem. 

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Weird they didnt honor his trade request if there were truly some inquiries.  What's the point of keeping him to just deactivate him every game?

More value as a depth piece than a late day 3 pick.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

14 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

I think it’s just for depth reasons. If everyone’s healthy in the WR corps, then yeah any draft pick is better than a guy who isn’t active.

They’re coming off a season where they saw each of their top 4 WRs on the sideline with injuries by the very end. That’s probably still fresh in their memories, especially as the Jets saw their LTs dropping like flies this offseason.

Also even if that doesn’t happen again, the bidding for him should only go up as other teams - including the one who was the highest preseason bidder - may suffer WR injuries of their own.

I think they’d just rather have him for insurance + upside reasons than a conditional 6th-7th rounder (or whatever it’d have been) which they can’t use until after the season’s over. There’ll be less regret over that than if they get 3+ simultaneously-injured WRs again.

• Upvote 3

A lot of this is what posters have already mentioned.

But...

1. With the way our receiving corps is currently constructed. When fully healthy, Mims simply does not fit. We have Conklin, CJ- yes I know he was out this week, Ruckert (who the Jets are excited about and want more reps for) and then the WRs with Davis, Moore, Berrios and Wilson. Oh, and our backs can catch. 

2. What about that #5/#6 utility/depth guy? Well, Smith plays specials- as so many have pointed out. He also used to play QB and can pull off a trick play if needed. He is simply more versatile. And don't you think inserting Mims on that fake punt would have tipped the Browns off? Forget about whether or not he would have caught the pass. 

3. INJURIES. The biggest reason Mims is still on the team is because of injuries. He WILL get an opportunity. We literally saw Wilson get crunched in the Browns game. I guarantee you he is bruised up despite coming back into the game and will need to rest/heal up. Berrios was questionable coming into the game with a heel injury. Davis has been taking on monster hits down the middle of the field in the last two games. Our WRs are going to get hurt and Mims will HAVE to step up sooner rather than later.     

• Upvote 4

19 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Yeah it's weird. Maybe they only got back 5th or 6th round offers and were just like, f it, we'll keep him for depth incase of injury. I mean it's not a terrible idea if he's not being a problem. 

16 minutes ago, AFJF said:

More value as a depth piece than a late day 3 pick.

13 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I think it’s just for depth reasons. If everyone’s healthy in the WR corps, then yeah any draft pick is better than a guy who isn’t active.

They’re coming off a season where they saw each of their top 4 WRs on the sideline with injuries by the very end. That’s probably still fresh in their memories, especially as the Jets saw their LTs dropping like flies this offseason.

Also even if that doesn’t happen again, the bidding for him should only go up as other teams - including the one who was the highest preseason bidder - may suffer WR injuries of their own.

I think they’d just rather have him for insurance + upside reasons than a conditional 6th-7th rounder (or whatever it’d have been) which they can’t use until after the season’s over. There’ll be less regret over that than if they get 3+ simultaneously-injured WRs again.

All very fair points,  Guess it's more depending on what they were offered. 

1 hour ago, Untouchable said:

Seriously 

The day can’t come fast enough when I don’t have to hear about this guy anymore.

He’s never going to be anything more than the 5th or 6th wideout on a teams depth chart before he eventually fades out of the league entirely.

There’s a long line of WR’s drafted in the 2nd round who simply sucked. And Mims is one of them.

image.png.15060c48b96417b81d7a1ffc63938d09.png

Just like BYU

In Saleh's 'win now' world, Mims is a waste. But in Joe D's world, he looks beyond just this season. JD might not keep Corey Davis with his big $'s, and instead move Mims to his spot. Don't forget Mims is great blocking in the run game, he's tall with good hands, and is the fastest player on the team (or was). If Mims can learn the rout tree, and it looked like he was doing just that in TC, then he could be a good replacement for CD next season.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, JiFapono said:

This is the problem with folks who say Mims is a Bum.  If he is a Bum then why KEEP HIM!!!

You don't keep bums!  And just like Wilson, just because he doesn't know the entire route tree doesn't make him a bum, especially when he came from Baylor it was SPECIFICALLY noted that he ran a limited route tree.\, which wasn't a concern for Gase but is a big concern for the current coaching staff.

Simple, if Mims is such a Bum and can't help the team, let him Go!  What is the point of keeping him????

• Upvote 1