PFF Grades: Week 2

Rhg1084

1 hour ago, Saul Goodman said:

Surprised that Garnder got charged with that TD. I only watched the play once but it looked like the receiver wasn’t his assignment. Oh well, not down on Gardner at all. 

This is one of the reasons why PFF grades are so controversial.  There are many aspects of the grade that are purely subjective.

On the Cooper TD, well before the ball is snapped, you can see Sauce telling the safety that he didn't have the coverage if Cooper ran a slant.  Watch the play again and you can see he was pretty adamant about it.

So PFF dings Sauce for the "coverage" on that play, when well before the play started, Sauce is saying I don't have coverage on this guy.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

That's great to see.

He really does have to be a top 5 G in the NFL to justify taking a G that early.  

As an example.  Would have rather have Mitchel and Sauce or Ekwonu?

Plus going against the ravens d and then Clowney.  It won’t get much harder than he’s already had.  If the jets get a functional RT starter in the 4th round that’s amazing.  

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, The Crusher said:

It's very likely they subtracted 33 Rob.

As the biggest critic of Quinine  Williams I must point out he is playing

a little better but hustles hardly at all. This game was indicative a screen

to his side he barely went after the ball. Next play Shepherd broke  his

running down the ball. Four years into his career he still shows nothing.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

I thought Sauce played pretty well, although his stats don't look great. No. Not his BEST game. But he was going up against Cooper and he did not give up anything big. The one TD he gave up was a 10yrd slant where he thought he had help inside and simply passed him off. Not sure who's fault that was (assuming a rookie mistake), but nonetheless, a result of miscommunication rather than getting purely beat. 

I have yet to see Sauce get beat by a receiver. And I'm not talking about a quick out or slant or dig. I'm talking about legitimately fooled or burned on a great route for a deep gain.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

5 hours ago, JiFapono said:

Interesting, not a big PPF but either way, I just shared that I thought JFM played terrible but gave Echols love.  Felt like JFM was pushed around all game long.  Just looked at the box score, he didnt record a single tackle but did have 1 QB hit.   Wonder what they saw that I didnt.

The Lawson grade is way too high as well I think 

1 hour ago, kevinc855 said:

Really need to address the LB position with the 1st round pick this year IMHO

OT.  

Duane Brown, Max Mitchell, Becton for hope, and draft pick.  Fant unfortunately walks because he will cost 3x the draft pick.

Round 2 is where we find a LB.  Round 3 Safety.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

On 9/19/2022 at 2:01 PM, Irish Jet said:

Why the **** are we paying Lawson and JFM so much money if we barely play them for half the snaps?

The constant rotation is awful.

Was saying this for a while now.  Use all these resources on the dline and then go totally over board in this rotation aspect.  Pay your best players, do they need a breather at times?  Sure but this whole 'we do not want them paying nay more than 50% of the snaps type thing is just stupid.

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Was saying this for a whole now.  Use all these resources on the dline and then go totally over board in this rotation aspect.  Pay your best players, do they need a breather at times?  Sure but this whole 'we do not want them paying nay more than 50% of the snaps type thing is just sutpd

Just don't compliment by playing QW, his effort is trash

4 hours ago, varjet said:

OT.  

Duane Brown, Max Mitchell, Becton for hope, and draft pick.  Fant unfortunately walks because he will cost 3x the draft pick.

Round 2 is where we find a LB.  Round 3 Safety.

Fant might cost upwards of 4-5x the draft pick, depending on the slot, and that’s if he’s taken in round 1.

The purpose to bringing back Brown + Becton is they’re not locked into a LT in round 1 because they don’t absolutely need an instant/week1 starter. I wouldn’t shy away from one they love in round 1, but I wouldn’t ruin my draft pigeonholing the position. 

But I do agree it’d be a near-ideal pipeline setup with Brown & Becton both having 1 year left on their deals. Also due to age for one, and recent non-production from the other, there’s no need to deal with either one feeling slighted by a LT pick no matter how high they take one. 

So far it looks like holding off on Fant was the right move. He’s not repeating his 2021 season + he’s never made it through a season as the starter without missing multiple games + part of at least one more. That plus a career of below-average run blocking means he wasn’t worth the $18-20MM/yr extension he was surely seeking. 

The more likely extension would be McGovern, and even that depends on how the rest of the season goes. The problem is, since he’s a center, in practical terms he can’t be franchise tagged with an expected tag amount pushing $18MM. If needed they could tag Fant, though, and let Brown go instead. No rush on picking which, just heading into week 3.

32 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

The more likely extension would be McGovern, and even that depends on how the rest of the season goes. The problem is, since he’s a center, in practical terms he can’t be franchise tagged with an expected tag amount pushing $18MM. If needed they could tag Fant, though, and let Brown go instead. No rush on picking which, just heading into week 3.

Duane Brown is $6.3 million dead money to cut in 2023, with $5.2mm in cap savings.  I don't see JD/Woody paying for Duane not to play, unless he is completely broken.,