Should the Jets play more man?

19 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Yes for sure, zone in secondaries is like the zone blocking scheme in the oline, in theory it looks good but one screw up and a guy is open like Davis was or your QB gets killed by a man coming untouched.

No scheme looks good when you don't get pressure on the QB.  This one is especially predicated on DL pressure.

7 hours ago, 92ShaunEllis92 said:

Whatever coverage Sauce & Reed prefer and excel in. They’ve been SPECTACULAR and a complete 180”‘degree turn around from the trash of a secondary the jets have trotted onto the field the last 5 years. 

Shame our linebackers couldn't cover a traffic cone.

We need to make some adjustments defensively. It was just was too easy for Brissett to find short easy yardage. The line rotation is frustratingly ineffective as well. 

17 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Jets have given up 4 passing TDs:

3 of the 4 were zone breakdowns that were so wide open that the 48 year old me (a pretty good two hand touch QB 35 years ago) arguably could have connected on all 3.

The remaining was a great throw and catch on good man coverage by Bryce Hall.  Someone posted a stat that showed .11 yards of separation, the lowest of any passing TD in 3 or so years.

Jordan Whitehead who has historically been good in zone was a central figure on 2 (half credit to Sauce against the Browns) while everyone’s favorite Jet Lamarcus Joyner appeared to be at fault on the other.  When I see multiple players out of position, logic points me in the direction of coaching, communication or a scheme the NFL has figured out.  Just go back to last season and this preseason to find an array of wide open zones against Saleh’s D.

Jets have 2 very talented man corners in Sauce & DJ and an already solid slot in Carter II.  They also have a good man LB in Kwon Alexander and potentially another in Jamien Sherwood.

Lastly, I’m a big proponent of stacking the box against running teams.  Man might just make this easier.

Your thoughts?

The sample size is small at this point but from what I can see, it looks like they've fully deployed the old Seattle cover 3 press and bail.  It's what Saleh wants to run and it's why he targeted corners who can play man.  Conceptually, he has corners who can press and jam at the LOS, in the scheme, based on formation and routes, the CB can then decide if they want to drop to the outside third in a traditional cover 3 shell.  From what I can tell, this is where there has been some communication issues and everyone has contributed.  He was furious each time he saw it happen too, I think this can be fixed, it's a brand new secondary playing together for the first time.  That said, there were a ton of routes that were defended by man last week but in this scheme, one side of the field could be in a cover 3 shell or run support, and the other side could be playing man, all dependent route combo/formation, since they dont follow for the most part.  

• Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

The sample size is small at this point but from what I can see, it looks like they've fully deployed the old Seattle cover 3 press and bail.  It's what Saleh wants to run and it's why he targeted corners who can play man.  Conceptually, he has corners who can press and jam at the LOS, in the scheme, based on formation and routes, the CB can then decide if they want to drop to the outside third in a traditional cover 3 shell.  From what I can tell, this is where there has been some communication issues and everyone has contributed.  He was furious each time he saw it happen too, I think this can be fixed, it's a brand new secondar playing together for the first time.  That said, there were a ton of routes that were defended by man last week but in this scheme, one side of the field could be in a cover 3 shell or run support, and the other side could be playing man, all dependent route combo/formation, since they dont follow for the most part.  

Wow, awesome post.  I’m assuming you played or coached, or have immersed yourself in Madden?!

17 hours ago, Claymation said:

Looks like they were playing man on these plays.

Exactly.  Wish we could see the whole field.  

The easy slant to Cooper, Sauce and the safety (I think Whitehead?) were an example of communication issues.  Sauce checked out of the jam to play the outside third and I dont think the safety picked up on it. 

8 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Wow, awesome post.  I’m assuming you played or coached, or have immersed yourself in Madden?!

I played in college.  The prestigious University of Florida.   Player/coach/defensive coordinator on my coed intramural flag football team.  Only lost 2 games in 3 years. 

• Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Exactly.  Wish we could see the whole field.  

The easy slant to Cooper, Sauce and the safety (I think Whitehead?) were an example of communication issues.  Sauce checked out of the jam to play the outside third and I dont think the safety picked up on it. 

It was clearly a communication issue.  Sauce wasn't beat, he handed the receiver off to no one.  

Does that count against his no touchdown streak?