Saleh's press conference - Sounds like Flacco does have a shot to be the qb this year

35 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

patience?  he's played 12 games in his career.

Usually followed by "come on, he's only played two years, you can;t know what a QB is till after the third year", then followed by "why are you still talking about X, he's gone, we got Y, and he has elite generational talent like no one ever had before!", lol.

give him this year

I don't give players this or that, the organization does.

I will continue to do two things:  1. Root for whomever is playing QB.  2. Evaluate that QB.

, if he doesn't improve (significantly) versus last year then we bring in real competition next year.

Will we?  Did we do that for Darnold in year 3?  Or Sanchez in year 3?  I'm not sure sure we do.

what exactly did you expect him to do last year.  our roster was terrible.

Not as terrible as he was.

and what is wrong with a game manager, we haven't gotten that in years.

You don't draft game managers #2 overall.

If that is what he turns out to be, and he's good at it, but (like most game managers) needs elite talent around him to carry him, well, ok.  At least JD has shown some ability at drafting.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, 56mehl56 said:

I'm not confident at all, but I'm also not abandoning hope based on 13 games.  Betting on something that's this subjective is foolish. 

Oh I’m not abandoning hope. Hope is always there. I’m a Jets fan what else do I have lol.

But I’m sure not betting on it!

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Good post.  Perhaps in hindsight Zach should have been on the bench last year.  Besides everything you just mentioned he didn't play for a big time program against high caliber competition.   Perhaps now that the coaching staff aren't rookies they won't make another rookie error in developing Zach.  

See but i think just the opposite , yes it was most likely he was going to struggle , but he got to learn the system lockstep with the team and OC which in my eyes is critical experience regardless of outcome. He wouldn't have got that sitting on the bench. I think and I hope he is much better now because of it.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, jgb said:

Ok I’m in on that. Most suck. So then why the hate for fans who just play the odds?

For some it’s just that they want to believe. Some people in here are just arguing that Zach should play if he’s healthy.

My thing is that Zach was a legit good prospect, his advanced metrics made him a solid bet to be at least good in the NFL. That’s a bigger sample size than 13 games so for me to move on from Zach the certainty of Zach’s failure has to be clear. I can reach that conclusion with a bigger sample size showing little to no improvement or if the coaching staff bails on him. 

Finally, going into every season believing every QB is a bust is a good way to be right, it also distracts from the excitement of the unknown which is really all we have as Jets fans.

• Upvote 2

Zach is looking thick oops he blew his knee out actually he’s tough and will be ready for the opener whoops of course he has to miss another week whoops four weeks but he’s not injury prone whoops he’s had four surgeries before he turned 23 but it’s only a meniscus whoops actually he should miss two more weeks to “ramp up” whoops look at this video of him sprinting and doing the karaoke drill whoops six weeks is normal

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

“A national guy” versus the New York Jets. Choose your adventure! 

A national reporter vs an organization that is either really bad at injury evaluation or bad at communicating is a fairly good matchup. You choose to keep believing Saleh and his motor mouth, that’s on you.

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Zach is looking thick oops he blew his knee out actually he’s tough and will be ready for the opener whoops of course he has to miss another week whoops four weeks but he’s not injury prone whoops he’s had four surgeries before he turned 23 but it’s only a meniscus whoops actually he should miss two more weeks to “ramp up” whoops look at this video of him sprinting and doing the karaoke drill whoops six weeks is normal

This is the best personnel management I’ve seen from the Jets in decades.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

who said what??

Prediction: Zach will achieve 110% at the exact moment Saleh feels Flacco isn't the best option anymore.

Which is fine but we haven’t reached a point where that isn’t more than just making something up in your mind. No one is stopping you from doing that but it isn’t based on anything yet.

3 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

A national reporter vs an organization that is either really bad at injury evaluation or bad at communicating is a fairly good matchup. You choose to keep believing Saleh and his motor mouth, that’s on you.

I need to know who the “national guy” is before I decide.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

For some it’s just that they want to believe. Some people in here are just arguing that Zach should play if he’s healthy.

My thing is that Zach was a legit good prospect, his advanced metrics made him a solid bet to be at least good in the NFL. That’s a bigger sample size than 13 games so for me to move on from Zach the certainty of Zach’s failure has to be clear. I can reach that conclusion with a bigger sample size showing little to no improvement or if the coaching staff bails on him. 

Finally, going into every season believing every QB is a bust is a good way to be right, it also distracts from the excitement of the unknown which is really all we have as Jets fans.

Belief and hope isn’t bad at all. But saying it’s something else isn’t productive.

12 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

He literally followed Becton’s footsteps and food steps. 

5 hours ago, doitny said:

we were fighting the refs too. that non catch on the sidelines that clearly showed grass between his foot and the white line killed the 1st drive.

or how about that fantom holding call on Fant that took away a 24 yd Carter run that would have made it 1st down at the 5 yd line.

and what garbage time are you talking about? do you really think they wanted us to score to make it a one score game with a chance at a onside kick? or maybe your talking about the wining 53 yd drive Flacco lead? 

I agree being a Jets fan, the refs were against us with some BS calls...If the Browns and Coach did not suck more then us that bomb to Davis and neither subsequent dink and dunk plays ever happen. Do you think any defense in the AFC east (our division) lets that happen. It usually just happens to us. So was it really Flacco or the Browns, the only team with worse history then the Jets.

This was one in a million for Flacco with a 0.1% chance. It should have been garage time like he did against the Ravens. Do you think he could do this again and again lol.

2 minutes ago, BigB said:

I agree being a Jets fan, the refs were against us with some BS calls...If the Browns and Coach did not suck more then us that bomb to Davis and neither subsequent dink and dunk plays ever happen. Do you think any defense in the AFC east (our division) lets that happen. It usually just happens to us. So was it really Flacco or the Browns, the only team with worse history then the Jets.

This was one in a million for Flacco with a 0.1% chance. It should have been garage time like he did against the Ravens. Do you think he could do this again and again lol.

Ref bias is a myth disproven by studies. In fact, those studies show Jets are slightly favored, although not  statistically significantly (no team is).

50 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

One wonders what Saleh can do if he outs Zach in and four weeks later the offense is dead in the water. Does he sit him down? Would be be allowed to sit him down? 

I don't really think so.  Narrative will be that at 4 weeks, he still needs more time to get up to speed.

By the time I think you could sell, "he's just no good" the season is basically over, and it's hard to make the argument that it's worth putting Flacco back out there at 3-10ish.

Just now, jgb said:

Ref bias is a myth disproven by studies 

I would think this is true, but also that on a game-by-game basis, there can be mistakes that favor one team more than another.  I think I'm pretty fair in my analyses of things like this, i.e., don't typically say things were 'unfair' to the Jets.  But, last week did not seem like a very accurate game from the officials and that seemed to help the Browns more than the Jets.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, ZachEY said:

I would think this is true, but also that on a game-by-game basis, there can be mistakes that favor one team more than another.  I think I'm pretty fair in my analyses of things like this, i.e., don't typically say things were 'unfair' to the Jets.  But, last week did not seem like a very accurate game from the officials and that seemed to help the Browns more than the Jets.

You caught me editing. The studies have been done and the results are clear. Of course, if you shrink the sample size to one game, outliers are always possible. But systemic ref bias doesn’t exist in the NFL. Or at least, I should say the evidence disproves it.

Everyone remembers the red lights they hit but not the greens…