Saleh's press conference - Sounds like Flacco does have a shot to be the qb this year

On 9/19/2022 at 5:41 PM, Joe W. Namath said:

Listening to the press conference, Saleh completely blew off the reporter who asked him if this zach's team when he is healthy.  He talked in circles and never answered the question.  I think that is very telling.  He has been adament that Zach plays the minute he is healthy.  He was not that way today.

He also made it clear that the earliest Zach will play is week 4.  But really concentrated on the "earliest" part of that statement.  He was very clear he is not playing week 4, that is just the earliest he would play.

I love Zach and want him out there ASAP.  But after watching the press conference, I think if Joe is playing well and we are wining, Zach is not getting the job back this year.  

WOW!  I am stunned but to me, if you can read through the lines, it was clear what Saleh is thinking.

Watch that part of the press conference and let me know what you think.  It was pretty early in the press conference.

So much for his BS speech about rebuilding. Like coaches before him…. He cant/wont develop a QB. Thats why we played Fitz and McCown and passed on many good QBs. Timid coaches and GMs.   So Jetsy…….   However, I believe he and your boy JD will see the light and develop Zach.    

31 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

So much for his BS speech about rebuilding. Like coaches before him…. He cant/wont develop a QB. Thats why we played Fitz and McCown and passed on many good QBs. Timid coaches and GMs.   So Jetsy…….   However, I believe he and your boy JD will see the light and develop Zach.    

you cant really blame them so much when this is a win now league. Gase got fired after 2 years and won 9 games. Saleh won 5 or 4 if you count the one Middleton won. 

6 hours ago, doitny said:

you cant really blame them so much when this is a win now league. Gase got fired after 2 years and won 9 games. Saleh won 5 or 4 if you count the one Middleton won. 

That's the attitude that got us to be the worst team in the league (bottom 3).  Passing on Mahommes and Watson because you have McCown.   If you sell the 3-4 year rebuild to get hired and afterwards play a 37 year old journey man you are a snake oil fraud or your current QB truly sucks.  When Zach is healthy. we will see which is true.  I believe they will play Zach.  We MUST know if he can play or not.  If not, we're drafting a new QB this year.

11 hours ago, dbatesman said:

I think some of the softhearted out there (like me) accepted last year because the staff was new, the roster was in shambles, Lawson got hurt, etc. But they’ve had two full offseasons to install everything, they made a ton of upgrades, and Lawson is healthy. To be this bad is really unacceptable. I’d give it two more games until Saleh takes over defensive playcalling. After that, who knows.

I think it’s as simple as Nick Bosa and Fred Warner are human erasers and this defensive system doesn’t work without them. The guys we have playing those spots are trash, generally, but also trash by comparison. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Zach sitting is to develop him.   Flacco playing is to develop the other young players on O.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

18 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I think it’s as simple as Nick Bosa and Fred Warner are human erasers and this defensive system doesn’t work without them. The guys we have playing those spots are trash, generally, but also trash by comparison. 

Did he rotate Bosa out for 40% of the plays? I can't imagine so.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

In theory sounds great....  BUT Zach is a question mark,  he sat quite a bit last year. He will now sit 4 weeks this year.  It's time to put the boat in the ocean.

Agreed. He needs to be on the field however if Flacco is keeping us competitive enough where the team actually believes they have a shot at a wildcard, well, team first. Welcome to big boy business.

• Sympathy 1

I'm shocked at how many people would put Zach back in no matter what. Was listening to the Let's Talk Jets guys and they were outraged at the idea of Flacco staying on at QB. 

We're so starved of competitive football that I'd be happy to stick with him until he gives you a reason not to. Not like Zach couldn't benefit from some more time to sit and watch the offence in the mean time. 

Joe Flacco wouldn't be where he is if he was a top level QB so I imagine he'll soon provide some more Baltimore like games and give good cause for Zach to come in but if he maintains that Browns game level then you can't justify taking him out. The players would f*cking revolt if Zach comes in and doesn't instantly produce. 

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

That's the attitude that got us to be the worst team in the league (bottom 3).  Passing on Mahommes and Watson because you have McCown.   If you sell the 3-4 year rebuild to get hired and afterwards play a 37 year old journey man you are a snake oil fraud or your current QB truly sucks.  When Zach is healthy. we will see which is true.  I believe they will play Zach.  We MUST know if he can play or not.  If not, we're drafting a new QB this year.

i cant argue with you, your right.  i am just looking at the coaches POV. i think those 10 wins in Bowles 1st year gave them the illusion we were a player or 2 away from making a serious run with a vet QB.

i looked this up a while ago so my memory might be off a little but i had checked 5 mock drafts from that year and most had i think it was Mahomes going in the late 1st rd. one might have had him in the top of the 2nd. so he was a shock to them. Watson wasnt that bad but they still had him at most around the teens. maybe one had Watson as high as 5. so maybe they might had drafted Mahomes if he made it to the 2nd rd. who knows.

thats why i think my plan is the best for Saleh and even us. you ride Flacco till he plays bad and gives you the opening. then you can say you went as far as you could with Flacco. look with a good QB we can win. our offense can move the ball. now if Zach plays bad that just might save their jobs. 

give Flacco 2 more games. if we are 1-3 you start Zach. 2-2 you give Flacco another game or 2. cant throw a season away this early to see what someone is. plenty of time for Zach to play. he doesnt need 14 games. 

1 hour ago, jgb said:

Agreed. He needs to be on the field however if Flacco is keeping us competitive enough where the team actually believes they have a shot at a wildcard, well, team first. Welcome to big boy business.

and the 9-7 season, like our 10-6, 2015 season will do what for us exactly????

@doitny  Your above post is reasonable. Didn't see it til after I wrote this.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

and the 9-7 season, like our 10-6, 2015 season will do what for us exactly????

That’s the funny thing about a 10-6 season… you don’t know it’ll be 10-6 until after the last game. Before that, you know you have a shot to make the dance.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Irish Jet said:

I'm shocked at how many people would put Zach back in no matter what. Was listening to the Let's Talk Jets guys and they were outraged at the idea of Flacco staying on at QB. 

We're so starved of competitive football that I'd be happy to stick with him until he gives you a reason not to. Not like Zach couldn't benefit from some more time to sit and watch the offence in the mean time. 

Joe Flacco wouldn't be where he is if he was a top level QB so I imagine he'll soon provide some more Baltimore like games and give good cause for Zach to come in but if he maintains that Browns game level then you can't justify taking him out. The players would f*cking revolt if Zach comes in and doesn't instantly produce. 

So you're OK with 10 wins, maybe playoffs and out we go??? They don't talk like that in NE, PITT, GB etc.  We must find a franchise QB and Flacco aint him.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

In theory sounds great....  BUT Zach is a question mark,  he sat quite a bit last year. He will now sit 4 weeks this year.  It's time to put the boat in the ocean.

The boat leaked and practically sank last year.  Time to take it out of the water and patch the holes before putting it in the Ocean. 

Just now, southparkcpa said:

So you're OK with 10 wins, maybe playoffs and out we go??? They don't talk like that in NE, PITT, GB etc.  We must find a franchise QB and Flacco aint him.  

10 wins and a watchable football team would be fantastic.   You okay with a 3 win team that's like watching paint dry?

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Irish Jet said:

It’s just a proxy for whether or not you think Wilson is good. If you do (or at least think he can be), you obviously want him out there ASAP. If you think he sucks, you don’t want to flush any more games on his behalf, especially when we’re trying to develop all these young skill position players, so you’d rather stick with Flacco.

• Upvote 4

21 minutes ago, Biggs said:

10 wins and a watchable football team would be fantastic.   You okay with a 3 win team that's like watching paint dry?

“There’s no point to go to the playoffs because we can’t win it all. So I’d rather go 4-13.”

And people call me negative because I think BYU stinks after he was the worst-rated starter at his position last season.

• Haha 3

20 minutes ago, jgb said:

“There’s no point to go to the playoffs because we can’t win it all. So I’d rather go 4-13.”

And people call me negative because I think BYU stinks after he was the worst-rated starter at his position last season.

I think it's too early to conclude that Zach stinks.  I think there's definetly something more than an injury that's holding him out of the lineup.  

2 minutes ago, Biggs said:

I think it's too early to conclude that Zach stinks.  I think there's definetly something more than an injury that's holding him out of the lineup.  

He has stunk to date. Hard to dispute that. But you are correct, the end result is not yet set concrete.

22 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

last 2 times we made the Wildcard we went all the way to two AFCCG. and one half from a SB. last time we made the playoffs with a dinosaur at QB we did the same. you never know what can happen if you make the playoffs. 

Zach isnt guaranteed to be good. maybe next year we draft a QB . maybe hes no good either. then you got to start paying some of these young guys. before you know it its over. it could be another 10 years before we make the playoffs.

you never turn down the playoffs. and if this happens and Zack sits so be it. we still have him for 2 more years even if you have to give him the extension. 

am im pretty sure those teams you mention if put in the exact same position which the history we have and no playoffs in 10 years would ride Flacco until they couldnt even if that means playoffs. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, doitny said:

last 2 times we made the Wildcard we went all the way to two AFCCG. and one half from a SB. last time we made the playoffs with a dinosaur at QB we did the same. you never know what can happen if you make the playoffs. 

Zach isnt guaranteed to be good. maybe next year we draft a QB . maybe hes no good either. then you got to start paying some of these young guys. before you know it its over. it could be another 10 years before we make the playoffs.

you never turn down the playoffs. and if this happens and Zack sits so be it. we still have him for 2 more years even if you have to give him the extension. 

am im pretty sure those teams you mention if put in the exact same position which the history we have and no playoffs in 10 years would ride Flacco until they couldnt even if that means playoffs. 

Playoffs is a successful regular season. Then as you say — anything can happen.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, Biggs said:

i think his injury is fine. IMO i think when they practiced him those 3 days he was off. missing targets and maybe even bouncing balls. he really needed the 4 weeks he missed so Saleh gave him 4 weeks. 

even though the doctors gave him 4 weeks more if you remember Saleh said it was health AND mentally prepared to play. 

56 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

It’s just a proxy for whether or not you think Wilson is good. If you do (or at least think he can be), you obviously want him out there ASAP. If you think he sucks, you don’t want to flush any more games on his behalf, especially when we’re trying to develop all these young skill position players, so you’d rather stick with Flacco.

Yes, but as a member of the JN administrative team I’m inclined to ask you to refrain from this 100% logical way of thinking. Thank you. 

• Haha 2

44 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

i think this is fair.

i dont think even the biggest Zach fans thinks he walks in here in his 1st game or 2 and start throwing for 300 yds. so at the beginning i think we lose Zachs 1st couple of games. if that happens you just flushed the season. i seen no reason to get him back ASAP.