Saleh's press conference - Sounds like Flacco does have a shot to be the qb this year

1 hour ago, Saul Goodman said:

I had the same takeaway. Saleh was a little squirmy with his words and body language when he was asked about Zach’s return and whether he’d start.

Saleh hasn’t mastered the no-information answers that most of our prior coaches were very good at, even if they weren’t great coaches. Mangini, Bowles and even Gase were really good with the media interviews as far as not indicating their true thoughts and plans. 

IMO Saleh is not happy that Zach didn’t tough it out, and Flacco will be the QB if he can maintain average to above average play. 

Gase was tight-lipped with the media?

1 minute ago, oatmeal said:

I understand but you have to find it strange Saleh not committing to Zach for the first time is weird af 

He's been consistently saying Zach's playing when he's ready.  He's said it over and over again.

Coming off a big win, where Flacco played well - if was a loaded questions so he blew it off.  One in which any answer would cause problems...so he blew it off.

It seems, more than anything else, Saleh is learning how to deal with the media.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I mean I was out on Darnold as a rookie, which ended up being right. CJ got sold by Gase and his work with Tannehill and yeah Sexton is an influential guy, especially for owners like the Johnson's. Gase then managed to get Douglas the big chair, who's still kicking but the seat is warm.

You definitely get props for that, but I don't really buy the Sexton thing. FYI, according to Costello, the guy who was really impressed by Gase was Macc, who supposedly really wanted a veteran coach after the Bowles experiment. 

And if CJ was sold by what Gase did with Tannehill, then I just don't get it. 

5 minutes ago, GangGreened said:

Would be a huge mistake. The biggest thing is still finding out if Zach sucks or not.

lol, yes, much more important than going to the playoffs with Flacco at QB, if he should have some sort of magical season with us

just “gotta know what Zach is”

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

He's been consistently saying Zach's playing when he's ready.  He's said it over and over again.

Coming off a big win, where Flacco played well - if was a loaded questions so he blew it off.  One in which any answer would cause problems...so he blew it off.

It seems, more than anything else, Saleh is learning how to deal with the media.

0CB3B5D2-6CE2-4CCB-A700-ACEE261DA694.png

8D9B545A-7A2F-42FD-AF42-C17FBAA17166.gif

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, MysticalJet2 said:

Could it be that Flacco has won the locker room over and players are responding better to him?  There is no doubt that Flacco has more presence than the young QB 498360092_giphy(5).gif.00d1db28a2b418096a8f6e9fa07ec6d2.gifand he dynamics may be working better with Flacco at the helm.

Good point. How do those two command the huddle. Don't think some of our vet o lineman are asked that by our coaching staff

11 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Zach comes back the moment he's 100%.

Zach is a better QB right now than Flacco...Zach gives the team the best chance to win.  The organization knows this - it's also why they'er waiting for him to get to 100% - as they know he's the future and don't want to mess around with it.

Zero evidence of that… yet.

with the comments about his mental and shying away from that question, it actually could be the opposite. I’m hoping they put him in sooner rather than later so he can prove he’s any good. But the entire situation seems a little off

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Integrity28 said:

lol, yes, much more important than going to the playoffs with Flacco at QB, if he should have some sort of magical season with us

just “gotta know what Zach is”

You laugh but some here have actually argued this.  That a playoff season really would be meaningless if it isn't helmed by Zach Wilson.  

19 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Lets break it down by game.

If Flaccid throws for 300 yards 3 tds and 1 int this Sunday and we beat Cincy, I dont know if you can take him out.  As a coach, how do you sell that to the other 52 guys?  I dont think you can.

Then lets say we go to pitt and he throws for 250 yards, 2 tds and 0 ints.  And we get another win.

I want Zach back in the worst way, but the next 2 games are against bad football teams.  

And then at 3-1 you are going to bring Zach back for the most important game in the last few years for this franchise?  Cause that is exactly what that Dolphin game would be if we are 3-1 at that point.  

This could get very interesting fellas.  Very interesting.

now you get it my friend. 

• Haha 1

Just listened to the press conference.

@Joe W. Namath, please, please, please stop jumping to conclusions.

First they were going to amputate Zach's leg after the injury. Ok, slight exaggeration.

Then Zach can't get back on the field because now Flacco is the man for the season.

I did not hear ANY of that.  He said Zach is progressing as expected and will be evaluated by the doctors next week.  As he said 2 weeks ago.

Please don't freak out.  Zach will be back when he is ready, and it will be sooner rather than later.

• Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

You laugh but some here have actually argued this.  That a playoff season really would be meaningless if it isn't helmed by Zach Wilson.  

I am not saying that whatsoever. I’m in the Zach sucks club but you really want to go into next season having the same conversations? I would gladly take a playoff appearance with Flacco but I’m not letting one win convince me we are playoff bound with Flacco at the helm. And he played excellent yesterday 

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Where do you dream up horrid takes like these?  Is there somewhere in the multiverse where Zach Wilson is capable of more than the 150-yard games he's put up to date?

More just made up stuff.

I don't make things up.

Your desire for the NY Jets #2 overall pick to fail simply skews your view.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, GangGreened said:

I am not saying that whatsoever. I’m in the Zach sucks club but you really want to go into next season having the same conversations? I would gladly take a playoff appearance with Flacco but I’m not letting one win convince me we are playoff bound with Flacco at the helm. And he played excellent yesterday 

No I want to go into next season adding someone else to the QB room because neither Zach Wilson nor Joe Flacco is "the guy".  

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

More just made up stuff.

I don't make things up.

Your desire for the NY Jets #2 overall pick to fail simply skews your view.  

You just made stuff up.  You said Zach Wilson is a better QB than a guy who just threw for 300+ and 4 TDs for the first time by any Jets QB since 1998.  Where's the evidence for such a take?  There is none.  Thus, you made it up.

• Upvote 2

Just now, GangGreened said:

It was one miracle win and your talking about the playoffs. Let’s pump the breaks.

No, I’m not, actually.

I am talking about putting competing/winning over evaluations. Zach can be evaluated AND we can stick with Flacco, if it’s working. My point being you don’t just bench Flacco to evaluate Zach. You bench Flacco if Zach gives you the better chance to win.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

No more ridiculous than those touting Zach Wilson as a future franchise QB when all he's done to date is sucked and get injured.  

I do not like Zach Wilson. I too, think he sucks.

but unless Flacco continues to play like he did on Sunday, I’d like the Jets to realize this also, so we can have a plan for 2023.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, GangGreened said:

but unless Flacco continues to play like he did on Sunday, I’d like the Jets to realize this also, so we can have a plan for 2023.

I imagine the magic for Flacco will go away before long so he'll get his shot.  But if Flacco plays anywhere close to the same level next week, I see no reason to rush Wilson into the lineup in Week 5.  Especially if we pull out a W.

My take is we should be taking this week to week at this point.  Not auto inserting Zach back into the lineup on a specific day purely because he's "fully healthy".  

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

Its Fitzmagic all over again. Flacco is not the long term solution. ZW might be. If Flacco starts all year we have learned nothing and we start next year being 2 years down on a rookie contract we don't know if we want the 5th year option. We aren't winning a SB with Flacco with his age and health issues. ZW should start as soon as healthy.

If Flacco starts we may win 7-8 games and then what, next year ZW learns what he should have this year without the cover of the last rebuilding year. Next year is when we need to make a serious run at the playoffs; we either need to know ZW is our guy or not.

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

Sure. But it seems like Saleh got a bit blindsided by something between Wilson’s team and the Jets and he’s rolling with it now. If Wilson doesn’t play this year  it means he’s a bust. Whether the Johnsons recognize that is a different story. Saleh gets paid either way and gets his Jersey mansion.

Everytime I read your dumb conspiracy theory posts about this issue I hear and see this guy: 

Area 51 Aliens GIF by Sky HISTORY UK

We aren’t saying different things. I think you’re just leading with the lesser priority. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

No I want to go into next season adding someone else to the QB room because neither Zach Wilson nor Joe Flacco is "the guy".  

Exactly. I don’t trust the Jets to do this if we don’t see Wilson play this year. I guess it’s a win-win. Either Flacco is playing well and the offense is developing and winning, or Zach can prove to us he’s not an NFL QB. But I would loathe going into next season with Wilson as QB1 with some washed up vet behind him if he doesn’t play this year:

• Upvote 2

Lets break it down by game.
If Flaccid throws for 300 yards 3 tds and 1 int this Sunday and we beat Cincy, I dont know if you can take him out.  As a coach, how do you sell that to the other 52 guys?  I dont think you can.
Then lets say we go to pitt and he throws for 250 yards, 2 tds and 0 ints.  And we get another win.
I want Zach back in the worst way, but the next 2 games are against bad football teams.  
And then at 3-1 you are going to bring Zach back for the most important game in the last few years for this franchise?  Cause that is exactly what that Dolphin game would be if we are 3-1 at that point.  
This could get very interesting fellas.  Very interesting.

Since we are playing the “IF” game, what if he does that but they lose because half of his yards and 2 of his TDs were garbage time stats?

I will say this, if Saleh starts Flacco in game 4 and Zach is healthy then I know we don’t have the right HC. Saleh would be looking out for his own career and not looking out for this franchise.

This year is about finding out if we have a QB in Zach. I would like to win, but not finding out what the Jets have in Zach would be catastrophic for the Jets. Flacco isn’t the long term answer. Zach might be, as of now we don’t know the answer.

Exactly. I don’t trust the Jets to do this if we don’t see Wilson play this year. I guess it’s a win-win. Either Flacco is playing well and the offense is developing and winning, or Zach can prove to us he’s not an NFL QB. But I would loathe going into next season with Wilson as QB1 with some washed up vet behind him if he doesn’t play this year:

Yes, regardless of the outcome of this season there needs to be a legitimate 1a/1b QB added to the QB room.  Or a big swing needs to be attempted on some pipe dream like an Aaron Rodgers/Sean Payton combo or something. 

Zach Wilson cannot be handed the job outright.  Even if he plays well this year, he's proven to be injury prone and can't be trusted to stay healthy for a full season.  

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Listening to the press conference, Saleh completely blew off the reporter who asked him if this zach's team when he is healthy.  He talked in circles and never answered the question.  I think that is very telling.  He has been adament that Zach plays the minute he is healthy.  He was not that way today.

He also made it clear that the earliest Zach will play is week 4.  But really concentrated on the "earliest" part of that statement.  He was very clear he is not playing week 4, that is just the earliest he would play.

I love Zach and want him out there ASAP.  But after watching the press conference, I think if Joe is playing well and we are wining, Zach is not getting the job back this year.  

WOW!  I am stunned but to me, if you can read through the lines, it was clear what Saleh is thinking.

Watch that part of the press conference and let me know what you think.  It was pretty early in the press conference.

He did NOT say anything of the sort. The reporter asked a completely convoluted question about whether Flacco playing well and the time Zach starts being connected and he said they are separate. IE when Zach is healthy he starts. He then said he is exactly on schedule. Stop seeing conspiracies where there are none. Flacco had one awful game and one good one mostly because the OL, Breece and especially GW stepped up big time.

• Upvote 1