Saleh's press conference - Sounds like Flacco does have a shot to be the qb this year

1 minute ago, GangGreened said:

Not trying to be a d*ck, but really? Of course the offense was built around Wilson and they are going to say that in August.

There's just more anti-Zach rhetoric.

Good about Zach - Lie

Back about Zach - Truth

Also, are you suggesting Flacco has gotten better since August and Wilson got worse?

24 minutes ago, GandWFan said:

Just listened to the press conference.

@Joe W. Namath, please, please, please stop jumping to conclusions.

First they were going to amputate Zach's leg after the injury. Ok, slight exaggeration.

Then Zach can't get back on the field because now Flacco is the man for the season.

I did not hear ANY of that.  He said Zach is progressing as expected and will be evaluated by the doctors next week.  As he said 2 weeks ago.

Please don't freak out.  Zach will be back when he is ready, and it will be sooner rather than later.

I just listened to the press conference and it sounds to me like Zach is going to be cozying up next to Mims on the heated bench for the next month imho

• Haha 3

10 minutes ago, Claymation said:

Since we are playing the “IF” game, what if he does that but they lose because half of his yards and 2 of his TDs were garbage time stats?

I will say this, if Saleh starts Flacco in game 4 and Zach is healthy then I know we don’t have the right HC. Saleh would be looking out for his own career and not looking out for this franchise.

This year is about finding out if we have a QB in Zach. I would like to win, but not finding out what the Jets have in Zach would be catastrophic for the Jets. Flacco isn’t the long term answer. Zach might be, as of now we don’t know the answer.

no HC is going to sacrifice his career to start a player that he believes doesn't give him the best chance to win.... unless Woody guarantees he will not fire him if Zach fails.

and my guess is no order has been given so Saleh and JD are going to do what they were brought here to do. try to win games with the best players they have.

and they are being evaluated by Woody. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

I just listened to the press conference and it sounds to me like Zach is going to be cozying up next to Mims on the heated bench for the next month imho

i hope Zach gets a nice soft cushion to sit on. i would hate for him to get a splinter on his ass and go back on the IR

• Haha 2

All you needed were eyes and some experience watching the NFL to conclude that Wilson is a total bust.  Saleh and even Douglas who drafted Wilson know the score. 

They are going with Flacco because he can play the pro game at least to a marginal level and Wilson cant.

And, please.  No more Mike white delusions.  He's a scrub.  Barely practice squad quality for the NFL.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, THE BARON said:

All you needed were eyes and some experience watching the NFL to conclude that Wilson is a total bust.  Saleh and even Douglas who drafted Wilson know the score. 

They are going with Flacco because he can play the pro game at least to a marginal level and Wilson cant.

And, please.  No more Mike white delusions.  He's a scrub.  Barely practice squad quality for the NFL.

OK you've got me torn here because I want to rep you for the first 2 paragraphs but want to neg rep you for the last one.  

I split the difference and went with tears.

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

There's just more anti-Zach rhetoric.

Good about Zach - Lie

Back about Zach - Truth

Also, are you suggesting Flacco has gotten better since August and Wilson got worse?

Your argument is just extremely weak, that’s all. Coach speak.

And not at all.. but since you brought it up, probably lol. Is Wilson getting better sitting on the bench healthy and Flacco getting worse while he is out there throwing for 300 yards and 4 TDs?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Biggs said:

Saleh self interest and the team winning are completely alligned.  That's a good thing.  The idea that your going to waste this talented roster on seeing what you have in Zach is absurd.  There are season ticket holders and lot of professional football players on the NY Jets who's livelyhood is on the line and you would hope that all the players want to get to the playoffs and have a shot at a ring.  

Either Zach shows in practice that he's the best QB on the team and is ready or you sit him until he is.  He's not the only young player that's being developed.  

You got this 110% right. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

Fans think their interest in the team is the same as the coach's. In this instance, they most certainly are not. 

The coach needs and wants to win. Now. He doesn't give a sh*t about next year. If Flacco continues to play well, Saleh will continue to start him.

He'll worry about Zach's development next year.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

3 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Slightly different take = maybe he just wants to win. No hot seat.

Maybe he felt Zach should have been developed like the 49ers did with Trey. Maybe it took a year for him to be proven right and he’s managing this situation towards what he wanted all along. 

I was thinking this way myself.

Hypothetically, the staff may feel the best thing for the Jets is:

1. Try and win games and produce a respectable W-L record/level of QB production, and get the young talent good experience. 

That may (stress may) be better done with the old slow Veteran.  So far (2 weeks only of course) but Flacco is producing at a Top 10-12 level.  I'm as shocked as anyone.

2. Develop Zach without the pressures of playing now.  Let him sit, get practice reps, learn from watching the Vet (a la Pennington), and give him time.

This could save Zach from a third knee injury happening this year, and perhaps give him time to really "be ready" if the staff thinks he isn't yet, mentally or physically.

ALOT of facts-missing, theory-crafting here, but there is at least a plausible scenario here that could align this way or something similar.

But who knows, there is so much mystery about Zach's status, it could be nothing, or it could be a huge something. 

No way to know till something changes.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

I was thinking this way myself.

Hypothetically, the staff may feel the best thing for the Jets is:

1. Try and win games and produce a respectable W-L record/level of QB production, and get the young talent good experience. 

That may (stress may) be better done with the old slow Veteran.  So far (2 weeks only of course) but Flacco is producing at a Top 10-12 level.  I'm as shocked as anyone.

2. Develop Zach without the pressures of playing now.  Let him sit, get practice reps, learn from watching the Vet (a la Pennington), and give him time.

This could save Zach from a third knee injury happening this year, and perhaps give him time to really "be ready" if the staff thinks he isn't yet, mentally or physically.

ALOT of facts-missing, theory-crafting here, but there is at least a plausible scenario here that could align this way or something similar.

But who knows, there is so much mystery about Zach's status, it could be nothing, or it could be a huge something. 

No way to know till something changes.

This used to be the standard approach to developing QBs.

• Upvote 1

I think the young coaching staff really appreciates how Flacco operates. Seasoned vet, not in the tabloids or on IG, and you can tell his teammates respect the hell out of him. Plus Flacco knows the AFC North better than anyone so it's gonna be a tough sell to bench him if/when he beats the Bengals.

If I'm Salah I go with the hot hand as long as possible.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Maybe. Most highly drafted QBs forced to start right away on terrible teams bust.

I get the rookie salary cap changes the game though.

wolf of wall street omg GIF

but you need a vet QB for it to work. like last year the choice was 2 QBs who never played a NFL game. in that case we go with the highly drafted rookie.