Saleh's press conference - Sounds like Flacco does have a shot to be the qb this year

4 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Listening to the press conference, Saleh completely blew off the reporter who asked him if this zach's team when he is healthy.  He talked in circles and never answered the question.  I think that is very telling.  He has been adament that Zach plays the minute he is healthy.  He was not that way today.

He also made it clear that the earliest Zach will play is week 4.  But really concentrated on the "earliest" part of that statement.  He was very clear he is not playing week 4, that is just the earliest he would play.

I love Zach and want him out there ASAP.  But after watching the press conference, I think if Joe is playing well and we are wining, Zach is not getting the job back this year.  

WOW!  I am stunned but to me, if you can read through the lines, it was clear what Saleh is thinking.

Watch that part of the press conference and let me know what you think.  It was pretty early in the press conference.

You are an epic troll.  Well played

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

No question it was an exhilarating miracle win, but let's not forget that before it was a win, it was a 30-17 loss.

Imagine Deshaun Watson pulling the trigger vs that awful pass defense  

Game would have been over by halftime, and Saleh is instead doing his usual Jet-splaining dance with the media

Jets were fortunate yesterday in many ways

Eagles look unstoppable 

Losing Joe Douglas looks like a net positive for them

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

So here's what's gonna happen. Saleh would prefer that Flacco continues to play well, grabbing wins here and there (he doesn't have to win them all, just play well in them all). But playing respectably that the other talent on the team loves and supports him. 

Continue to play Flacco to the bye, He gives our rookies their best chance to develop (we just saw Garrett grow up before our eyes) and Flacco gives our squad the best chance to win, so we'll have our max wins by the bye too. 

Announce today that Joe Flacco will be driving the ship thru the bye, at which time the Jets will thank Joe, give him a moment on the field where fans can cheer and thank him, then turn it over the Zack Wilson for the rest of the season and beyond.

Fans would have had it both ways.....our best option to win for the first half, then the second half we get to watch ZW develop. After watching and learning from Flacco the first 8 games, Zack might just surprise us to finish out the season.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

3 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

No question it was an exhilarating miracle win, but let's not forget that before it was a win, it was a 30-17 loss.

but despite all the stuff that Cleveland did to give us a chance we still had to make the plays.

onside kick...

Davis INT to end the game....

Flaccos last drive down 31-24. that was no garbage time yards. the game was on the line.

even Flaccos 66 yd TD pass to Davis. if White is in the game he doesnt make that throw because he most likely gets rid of it to the RB and hopes he gets a nice YAC. that play took a few seconds to develop.

miracle win...yes. but we still had to earn it.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, genot said:

Ok. Here we go. The year of the Wilson draft, they're we're multiple reports about a split in the organization with regards to drafting Wilson, or keeping Darnold. It's becoming clear that had more to do with Wilson, than a belief in Darnold. Reports we're that split also included members of coaching staff. Wilson could have played this week. They just can't take the bib of him and the pacifier out of his mouth. He's soft. Maybe, I'm wrong. That's the feeling I'm getting

Darnold sucks.

Zach sucks.

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 2

4 hours ago, Saul Goodman said:

I had the same takeaway. Saleh was a little squirmy with his words and body language when he was asked about Zach’s return and whether he’d start.

Saleh hasn’t mastered the no-information answers that most of our prior coaches were very good at, even if they weren’t great coaches. Mangini, Bowles and even Gase were really good with the media interviews as far as not indicating their true thoughts and plans. 

IMO Saleh is not happy that Zach didn’t tough it out, and Flacco will be the QB if he can maintain average to above average play. 

Reviewing the film now...stay tuned for the gospel on this.

5 minutes ago, FootballLove said:

So here's what's gonna happen. Saleh would prefer that Flacco continues to play well, grabbing wins here and there (he doesn't have to win them all, just play well in them all). But playing respectably that the other talent on the team loves and supports him. 

Continue to play Flacco to the bye, He gives our rookies their best chance to develop (we just saw Garrett grow up before our eyes) and Flacco gives our squad the best chance to win, so we'll have our max wins by the bye too. 

Announce today that Joe Flacco will be driving the ship thru the bye, at which time the Jets will thank Joe, give him a moment on the field where fans can cheer and thank him, then turn it over the Zack Wilson for the rest of the season and beyond.

Fans would have had it both ways.....our best option to win for the first half, then the second half we get to watch ZW develop. After watching and learning from Flacco the first 8 games, Zack might just surprise us to finish out the season.

depends on the record at the bye. your not changing QBs if we are 5-3. at that record the players are thinking playoffs. depending on what the AFC looks like we might be thinking playoffs at 4-4

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Hey here’s a theory. Zach is practicing with the team. What if he just sucks in practice? 

Didn't one of our top WRs say something along the lines of Flacco throws a more catchable ball.  Maybe the CS took note and began rethinking things.    

• Upvote 3

Reviewed the Press Conference:

-"Joe's been slinging it"--since training camp

-"you all saw training camp...you all saw how he performed against Atlanta"

-"you go over 3 bills and 4 TDs, that is STARTER QUALITY football, for sure"

-When asked "is week four still the expectation for Zach?"

-"(stumbles, groans) well...it's uhhhhh the earliest that we were given"

-"it's the earliest"

Conclusion: they are taking it day by day by day and Joe Flacco has a VERY GOOD CHANCE of starting when Zach returns.

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

Didn't one of our top WRs say something along the lines of Flacco throws a more catchable ball.  Maybe the CS took note and began rethinking things.    

well now that you mentioned it i dont Remember many if at all plays where our receivers had to turn around into a pretzel to try to catch a ball.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

57 minutes ago, tommyduhamelshouse said:

Reviewed the Press Conference:

-"Joe's been slinging it"--since training camp

-"you all saw training camp...you all saw how he performed against Atlanta"

-"you go over 3 bills and 4 TDs, that is STARTER QUALITY football, for sure"

-When asked "is week four still the expectation for Zach?"

-"(stumbles, groans) well...it's uhhhhh the earliest that we were given"

-"it's the earliest"

Conclusion: they are taking it day by day by day and Joe Flacco has a VERY GOOD CHANCE of starting when Zach returns.

Exactly how I interpreted the press conference.  Very different talk track about zach then last week.  

Whomever the QB is going forward, the biggest takeaway is that this young team believes in this coach and they played like a team. When you win a game like that there is no “ME” mentality, and that’s how you win in the NFL. I was way down on Saleh going into this game, but after watching the players press conferences I feel much different. I am still not sold on his ability to game plan, but he has his players balling and putting it all out there. With a very young squad, that means a lot! Especially when you have vets like Flacco, Davis and Mosley. I have no doubt that this team is 100% bought in to what Saleh Is selling!

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

6 hours ago, RoadFan said:

That win yesterday was a fluke.  Nice that it went in the Jets favor and the game will be remembered forever… but a fluke nonetheless.

A guesstimate?

85 out of 100x… Jets lose by 14.

14/15 out of 100x, they lose by 6 or 7.

1 out of 1000-2000; they win.  

If that fluke doesn’t happen… the Flacco vs. Wilson narrative doesn’t exist.

Was the 4 TD's a fluke too?

• Post of the Week 1

11 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Except they've been exceptionally clear that he's not 100% and are waiting until he is to get him back him.  They understand he's the long -term future of the franchise and forcing him back now would be short sighted.   

I mean, you can live in the anti-zach conspiracy world - I mean good for you if it helps you feel better.

But it doesn't make it true.

They have never said he isn't 100% ready to go.  They are waiting until he's 110% ready to go.  

It's not anti-Zach to not play him if he can't run the offense.  It might be in the team and Zach's interest to let him sit for awhile and learn.   He clearly was overmatched last year.  This anti-Zach  thing is sort of crazy.   Rodgers sat for 4 years.  It took Steve Young 7 years many  on the bench to develop into a great QB.  

There's nothing wrong admitting Zach isn't capable of running an NFL O in year 2.   He will get a shot and if he has the goods everyone will love him. 

12 hours ago, pointman said:

So you think we will find out if the 2021 #2 overall pick will be the man without real game action? 

I think they own him for 5 years if they want him.  I think he has a lot of talent.  I think he cleary wasn't ready to start in the NFL last year.  There are going to be blowout wins and losses this year.  He will get his chance to play.  You can't sacrifice the other young talent on the O to let a young player who's not ready to run the O competently wreck the team.  

He will get real game action.  If he does well when he gets it he will be reinstalled as the starter.  

Turns  out the front end of our schedule isn't as rock solid as we thought.  The Ravens, Browns, Bengals and Steelers are all decent not great football teams.  The Jets have lots of real good young talent and with competent QB play can compete.   Zach will get plenty of playing time to develop.  He's likely going to start in the critical year 3.  They don't need to fully evaluate him this year for a contract or a decision on his 5th year option. 

Saleh sounds like he did after the Mike White game vs Cincy lat year.

He's keeping his options open. It's called being smart.

The last thing anyone needs is have the team winning and having Zach go back in and fall on his face.

It's not in anyone's interest for that to happen. Zach included.

We should be so lucky that this becomes an actual problem. Right now, it isn't. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, FootballLove said:

It’s exactly what they should have done last year. Kid was never ever ready to start in the NFL, especially last year when the team was void of talent and learning the new schemes. 

Yet, watching Buffalo yesterday we are in another decade of playing for second place and the long shot at a wildcard. So at the end of the day it’s more about watching entertaining games than winning championships. 

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, GreenFish said:

Some of y’all are jumping the gun calling Zach a bust. Im pulling for Flacco and hope he plays so well that he takes us to the playoffs.

But Zach has the talent to be special. In due time,  believe he will prove that.

For now though, let’s go Flacco!!!

Playoffs? Playoffs? Remember that old clip I think from a Colts HC, even with Flacco playing well, we are at best the 3rd best team in the AFC. We pull 1 win out of thin air, and we are talking playoffs. Flacco at his age is not our future. He can take the Jets only so far. Best thing for the Jets is to get ZW out there and either get him the experience he needs to grow or determine that he is not the guy - winning 8+ games is of secondary concern this year.

If we want to be contenders next year, we need to make the proper long term adjustments. These past 2 years have been difficult and we are now beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Should we abandon that plan for a Fitzmagic year of just missing the playoffs?

24 minutes ago, SuicidalSince98 said:

Abso-*******-lutley

This fan base went from wanting to crucify Saleh for even considering playing dinosaur Flacco against Cleveland to now wanting Flacco to start 17 games because of a 2 minute miracle 

Absurd, delusional, idiotic, self destructive, schizophrenic fan base 

It’s not the fans keeping Zach Wilson benched

• Upvote 4

52 minutes ago, Biggs said:

They have never said he isn't 100% ready to go.  They are waiting until he's 110% ready to go.  

It's not anti-Zach to not play him if he can't run the offense.  It might be in the team and Zach's interest to let him sit for awhile and learn.   He clearly was overmatched last year.  This anti-Zach  thing is sort of crazy.   Rodgers sat for 4 years.  It took Steve Young 7 years many  on the bench to develop into a great QB.  

There's nothing wrong admitting Zach isn't capable of running an NFL O in year 2.   He will get a shot and if he has the goods everyone will love him. 

So, let me be clear of what you're saying here...

Are you suggesting the injury is fake? And reason Zach isn't playing is because the Jets don't think he's capable now?

but at the same time believe he'll be capable by he 4th week of the season?  So sitting out two weeks, playing limited snaps week 1 and 2 - will somehow get him to run the offense better?

Is that really the story you're going with?

Some of you guys really have to twist yourselves into pretzels to justify your dislike of Wilson.

Here's the reality...

• Zach Wilson is the Jets #1 QB
  • Zach Wilson got injured
  • The NYJ organization, in an abundance of caution, is keeping Zach out until he's 100% healthy.
  • When Zach Wilson is 100% healthy he will be back

Anything else and you're just trying to create some type of conspiracy theory with zero justification to support it.

• Upvote 1

On one hand we definitely need to evaluate Wilson and see what he is. On the other, everyone in the franchise including the fan base wants to win. If we come out Sunday and beat Cincinnati and Flacco has another real good game, he almost has to play against Pittsburgh. At this point we probably tell Zach, listen you’re the future but we’re gonna go with the hot hand until Flacco stumbles. It’s not like we have Aaron Rodgers hurt on the sidelines. For all we know, Flacco just may give us the best chance to win. This year was never about playoffs it was about figuring out what we have. Zach is going to play at some point this season and if he doesn’t, that means Flacco is putting out A Vinny Testaverde type year. Ride the hot hand and everyone will know when it’s time to have Zack start a game. Very well could be against Pittsburgh or very easily could not be. Day by day!!

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

9 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

If we want to be contenders next year, we need to make the proper long term adjustments. These past 2 years have been difficult and we are now beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Should we abandon that plan for a Fitzmagic year of just missing the playoffs?

Play Flacco until he starts killing you. When he’s good-ish, he moves the ball around, gets multiple receivers involved and runs the plays as designed. There’s value in that because the rest of the offense can develop with a predictable, if middling, guy playing with them. Getting guys like Garrett Wilson, Elijah Moore, Breece Hall, Max Mitchell, and Michael Carter going is worth so much more to Saleh/Douglas than watching Zach Wilson scuffle through ten starts of Berrios-ball just so you can figure out that he’s ass. Let him earn his way back onto the field, and they can slide Zach back in there if Flacco starts backsliding later in the year. At the end of the year, the Jets could look like a juicy landing spot for a veteran QB. Or, you can go into next season with a better version of Zach Wilson. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 2

Reading most of the posts in this thread you'd get the impression that our GM and HC don't talk to each other ... maybe even can't stand each other. I know we've got used to that over the years, but that doesn't mean that it is still the case.

Many posters are talking about Saleh "feeling the heat" and "needing to win to keep his job". Why? JD is the guy who decides whether Saleh stays or goes. If JD is pressuring Saleh to win at all costs, then he can't fire him if he starts Flacco. If he's pressuring Saleh to start ZW then he can't turn round and fire him if he does so.

Is it that inconceivable that these two guys are aligned? That they'll talk it through and come to a CONSENSUS decision about the next move? Because if they're not aligned then we're already done for, whoever starts at QB.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

So, let me be clear of what you're saying here...

Are you suggesting the injury is fake? And reason Zach isn't playing is because the Jets don't think he's capable now?

but at the same time believe he'll be capable by he 4th week of the season?  So sitting out two weeks, playing limited snaps week 1 and 2 - will somehow get him to run the offense better?

Is that really the story you're going with?

Some of you guys really have to twist yourselves into pretzels to justify your dislike of Wilson.

Here's the reality...

• Zach Wilson is the Jets #1 QB
  • Zach Wilson got injured
  • The NYJ organization, in an abundance of caution, is keeping Zach out until he's 100% healthy.
  • When Zach Wilson is 100% healthy he will be back

Anything else and you're just trying to create some type of conspiracy theory with zero justification to support it.

"The NYJ organization, in an abundance of caution"

The irony right...this is football after all...violence!