Saleh's press conference - Sounds like Flacco does have a shot to be the qb this year

13 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

So, let me be clear of what you're saying here...

Are you suggesting the injury is fake? And reason Zach isn't playing is because the Jets don't think he's capable now?

but at the same time believe he'll be capable by he 4th week of the season?  So sitting out two weeks, playing limited snaps week 1 and 2 - will somehow get him to run the offense better?

Is that really the story you're going with?

Some of you guys really have to twist yourselves into pretzels to justify your dislike of Wilson.

Here's the reality...

• Zach Wilson is the Jets #1 QB
  • Zach Wilson got injured
  • The NYJ organization, in an abundance of caution, is keeping Zach out until he's 100% healthy.
  • When Zach Wilson is 100% healthy he will be back

Anything else and you're just trying to create some type of conspiracy theory with zero justification to support it.

I thought Zach should start as a rookie.  I was dead wrong.  Zach should have sat last year with maybe some mop up duty.   Zach in one pre-season game this year looked horrible.  Zach got hurt, same injury as last year and had surgery.  Minor microscopic surgery.   If he was a starting NFL QB he would have started week 1.  He's not ready.

I'm not suggesting anything more than Zach Wilson isn't ready to start and it's because he doesn't get it yet.  That's not an indictment of Zach or hate of Zach.  That's reality.  The players know it and so does the coaching staff.   

That doesn't mean Zach won't be a great NFL QB.  That doesn't mean Zach sucks.  It just means he's not ready to be a good NFL QB and the expectation for the NY Jets this year is to win football games and develop the roster. 

The injury was real the reason he's not starting is he's not mentally ready.  In other words he can't run the O.  

• Upvote 4

10 hours ago, Warfish said:

I was thinking this way myself.

Hypothetically, the staff may feel the best thing for the Jets is:

1. Try and win games and produce a respectable W-L record/level of QB production, and get the young talent good experience. 

That may (stress may) be better done with the old slow Veteran.  So far (2 weeks only of course) but Flacco is producing at a Top 10-12 level.  I'm as shocked as anyone.

2. Develop Zach without the pressures of playing now.  Let him sit, get practice reps, learn from watching the Vet (a la Pennington), and give him time.

This could save Zach from a third knee injury happening this year, and perhaps give him time to really "be ready" if the staff thinks he isn't yet, mentally or physically.

ALOT of facts-missing, theory-crafting here, but there is at least a plausible scenario here that could align this way or something similar.

But who knows, there is so much mystery about Zach's status, it could be nothing, or it could be a huge something. 

No way to know till something changes.

Yes, to all of this.

At this point, I don’t care. Just give me a competitive team. The whole ‘see what we have’ thing is as naive as the whole ‘he needs a mentor’. All of these things are extensions of excuse-making narratives. 

It’s okay to compete and evaluate and develop all at once. The notion, by many if our fans, that these things can only happen in succession and not simultaneously is just an immature and/or inexperienced mindset.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 2

9 minutes ago, Biggs said:

I thought Zach should start as a rookie.  I was dead wrong.  Zach should have sat last year with maybe some mop up duty.   Zach in one pre-season game this year looked horrible.  Zach got hurt, same injury as last year and had surgery.  Minor microscopic surgery.   If he was a starting NFL QB he would have started week 1.  He's not ready.

I'm not suggesting anything more than Zach Wilson isn't ready to start and it's because he doesn't get it yet.  That's not an indictment of Zach or hate of Zach.  That's reality.  The players know it and so does the coaching staff.   

That doesn't mean Zach won't be a great NFL QB.  That doesn't mean Zach sucks.  It just means he's not ready to be a good NFL QB and the expectation for the NY Jets this year is to win football games and develop the roster. 

The injury was real the reason he's not starting is he's not mentally ready.  In other words he can't run the O.  

Again, what you're saying...

1) You don't like Zach, you don't want Zach to play, you don't think Zach is capable of running the offense.  That is fine.  I have no problem with people not liking him....

2) But there is nothing to support or any indication that the players, team and coaches think that -in fact it's contrary to everything they've said and or done.  Zach was having a solid camp - and before the injury was stacking really solid practices.

Zach got hurt and will be back as soon as he's 100%.  

44 minutes ago, Claymation said:

Outside of the last 2 minutes of the game, Joe Flacco has been ordinary this season.

If the Jets lose next week, no matter what Joe does. This fickle fanbase will want Mike White back as the starter.

stripes-bill-murray.gif

If the Jets lose this week, Zach will start in Pitt.  Win and Flaccid stays in.  Thats how they are going to do it.

11 hours ago, Warfish said:

I was thinking this way myself.

Hypothetically, the staff may feel the best thing for the Jets is:

1. Try and win games and produce a respectable W-L record/level of QB production, and get the young talent good experience. 

That may (stress may) be better done with the old slow Veteran.  So far (2 weeks only of course) but Flacco is producing at a Top 10-12 level.  I'm as shocked as anyone.

2. Develop Zach without the pressures of playing now.  Let him sit, get practice reps, learn from watching the Vet (a la Pennington), and give him time.

This could save Zach from a third knee injury happening this year, and perhaps give him time to really "be ready" if the staff thinks he isn't yet, mentally or physically.

ALOT of facts-missing, theory-crafting here, but there is at least a plausible scenario here that could align this way or something similar.

But who knows, there is so much mystery about Zach's status, it could be nothing, or it could be a huge something. 

No way to know till something changes.

Thank you for making a reasonable assessment of the situation - and not taking a theory and stating it as fake.

I think all of this is fair.

While I don't agree with the theory, it is surely a reasonable thought process.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

Playoffs? Playoffs? Remember that old clip I think from a Colts HC, even with Flacco playing well, we are at best the 3rd best team in the AFC. We pull 1 win out of thin air, and we are talking playoffs. Flacco at his age is not our future. He can take the Jets only so far. Best thing for the Jets is to get ZW out there and either get him the experience he needs to grow or determine that he is not the guy - winning 8+ games is of secondary concern this year.

If we want to be contenders next year, we need to make the proper long term adjustments. These past 2 years have been difficult and we are now beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Should we abandon that plan for a Fitzmagic year of just missing the playoffs?

you never give up on playoffs. 

if we are 2-2 and Zach is ready you dont take that chance just yet to throw the season away just to see what Zack is. its been 10 years since we made the playoffs. we dont know what the future is for us. if Zach plays and busts then were back to drafting another QB next year. then before you know it all these rookie contracts are up and people want to get paid and we dont have 5 #1 picks to replace them. it might be another 10 years until we get back to the playoffs. 

tomorrow is not guarantee for any of us. and neither is the playoffs.

last time we made the wildcard we went to 2 AFCCGs with a rookie and 2nd year QB, you never know what could happen.

plus you forget the team. you pull Flacco while he is playing good and Zach sucks they will resent him. these players were told Zach is the best QB on this team. Flacco and White sucks. but now they see that Flacco doesnt suck. he is moving the ball. 

and dont put it pass the fans to call for Joe if Zach sucks.  and that will kill this kids confidence. the fans have to see they can go no further with Joe for them to accept a switch. 

sorry pal but if we are 2-2 i want to see another week. 3-2 another 2 weeks. were not abandoning the plan, just got to wait for Flacco is play bad enough so we can make the switch. 

except for Fidelio and Joe W there is no one on this board who thinks Zach is going to match what Joe is doing ... at least not for a few weeks. 

45 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

1) You don't like Zach, you don't want Zach to play, you don't think Zach is capable of running the offense.  That is fine.  I have no problem with people not liking him....

2) But there is nothing to support or any indication that the players, team and coaches think that -in fact it's contrary to everything they've said and or done.  Zach was having a solid camp - and before the injury was stacking really solid practices.

but that was before the injury. i think when he came back they were ready to start him week1 cause he was healed enough but after practicing a few days seen he is not mentally there. he needed the reps he missed

its not coincidence that those practices were closed. they didnt want anyone reporting how he looked cause if he was bad it would hurt him. also he just happens to be out 4 weeks the same time he missed.

5 minutes ago, doitny said:

but that was before the injury. i think when he came back they were ready to start him week1 cause he was healed enough but after practicing a few weeks seen he is not mentally there. he needed the reps he missed

its not coincidence that those practices were closed. they didnt want anyone reporting how he looked cause if he was bad it would hurt him. also he just happens to be out 4 weeks the same time he missed.

This is so different than what's being said around here.

Your argument here - is, post injury, Zach hasn't looked good enough in practice yet to start.

Okay, as a theory, I must concede that's possible...however unlikely.

btw - practices open and closed are pre-scheduled - nothing changed because of ZW.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Ok I can’t take this anymore. Blatant lies. He will not be back when he is 100% like you keep saying and that’s a fact. Saleh CLEARLY said 110%. Please stop with this gross misrepresentation of facts. 

• Haha 4

Wilson is starting week 4... this is nuts haha.

So we avoided a season ending injury - fans are happy.

Zach isn't the week 1 starter because of this dodged bullet - fans throw a fit and want people fired for it.

The Jets actually did the right thing for a change and made sure their current future of the franchise is fully healed and ready to go before rushing him to play after GETTING KNEE SURGERY. Am I taking crazy pills? No way no how after week 3 will they start a 40 year old band-aid over last years first round pick... not a ******* chance.

I'm sick and tired of losing games, suffering through lost seasons, and rooting for draft position. I'm sick and tired of hearing coaches, GM's and owners talking about rebuilding. I'm sick and tired of waiting for our young QB's to finally "get it."  The Jets have been on a hamster wheel of all of this for a very long time. Of course I would love for our shiny new, young, blue chip, MILF loving QB to become the next Joe Montana, but goddamit, I want to start seeing this team stack W's, and if the decrepit and mostly pedestrian Joe Flacco has somehow caught lightning in a bottle this year, I'm totally here for it! Wilson can sit on the bench and learn until he's the next man up.  

If the Jets lost this Cleveland game, which was really miracle win and should have lost, everyone would be screaming that Joe Flacco sucks. Nothing has changed really or do you believe in weekly miracles. Zach needs to play and the sooner the better so at least we know what he is really. If he is not playing well then put back in Flacco or White or Streveler and JD will need to draft another QB, period.

7 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

I'm sick and tired of losing games, suffering through lost seasons, and rooting for draft position. I'm sick and tired of hearing coaches, GM's and owners talking about rebuilding. I'm sick and tired of waiting for our young QB's to finally "get it."  The Jets have been on a hamster wheel of all of this for a very long time. Of course I would love for our shiny new, young, blue chip, MILF loving QB to become the next Joe Montana, but goddamit, I want to start seeing this team stack W's, and if the decrepit and mostly pedestrian Joe Flacco has somehow caught lightning in a bottle this year, I'm totally here for it! Wilson can sit on the bench and learn until he's the next man up.  

Welcome to the Terrordome! 

6 minutes ago, BigB said:

If the Jets lost this Cleveland game, which was really miracle win and should have lost, everyone would be screaming that Joe Flacco sucks. Nothing has changed really or do you believe in weekly miracles. Zach needs to play and the sooner the better so at least we know what he is really. If he is not playing well then put back in Flacco or White or Streveler and JD will need to draft another QB, period.

Flacco was pretty good prior to the miracle. The Jets defense, specifically the secondary, was dreadful. As was the tackling overall.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Yeah, not a fan of the 110% thing. Would like to think your HC understand the most elementary principals of math.

You would think people wouldn’t take it so literal and believe he needs to be at 110%, that they would get the point

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Looks pretty spry to me. Certainly more spry than Becton looked in those videos you and @Mogglez posted over the summer trying to prove that Mekhi wasn’t morbidly obese.

Heard Wischusen in the car yesterday saying Wilson has no physical limitations with his knee. Went through full pregame on Sunday.

• Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Looks pretty spry to me. Certainly more spry than Becton looked in those videos you and @Mogglez posted over the summer trying to prove that Mekhi wasn’t morbidly obese.

I know, those hops over those 4 inch blocks, in shorts proves to all he’s ready to play.  
Hate to break this to you but Becton not being morbidly obese has nothing to do with ZW.  But do carry on.

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

Yes, to all of this.

At this point, I don’t care. Just give me a competitive team. The whole ‘see what we have’ thing is as naive as the whole ‘he needs a mentor’. All of these things are extensions of excuse-making narratives. 

It’s okay to compete and evaluate and develop all at once. The notion, by many if our fans, that these things can only happen in succession and not simultaneously is just an immature and/or inexperienced mindset.

Slow and steady wins the race  sluts !

- Joe Flacco 

• Haha 3