Saleh's press conference - Sounds like Flacco does have a shot to be the qb this year

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

What percentage do we think Justin Herbert will be playing at on Sunday?

If he doesn’t play what percentage of the Chargers fanbase would make claims to how much pain he’s in, what the risks are whatever after reading Conners tweets  

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Flacco was pretty good prior to the miracle. The Jets defense, specifically the secondary, was dreadful. As was the tackling overall.

Chubb takes a knee at the two..Flacco throws for 200 yards, putting up 17 points in - what would be being called - a pretty bad loss.

Flacco wasn't good until the last 1:55.  He wasn't terrible either, he left a ton of plays on the field. -Good for Joe, but let's not make things up. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

Yes, to all of this.

At this point, I don’t care. Just give me a competitive team. The whole ‘see what we have’ thing is as naive as the whole ‘he needs a mentor’. All of these things are extensions of excuse-making narratives. 

It’s okay to compete and evaluate and develop all at once. The notion, by many if our fans, that these things can only happen in succession and not simultaneously is just an immature and/or inexperienced mindset.

I agree completely.  +1

12 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Heard Wischusen in the car yesterday saying Wilson has no physical limitations with his knee. Went through full pregame on Sunday.

Do you have a link to this...Only because it's interesting that Robert Saleh said the opposite last week.  Saleh just said on Sunday that he expects Wilson to take further steps this week, but still not go fully.

So, either you're making this up or Wischusen has a source inside the Jets contradicting Saleh. (even if it's anonymous would love to read it) 

7 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Flacco was pretty good prior to the miracle. The Jets defense, specifically the secondary, was dreadful. As was the tackling overall.

Pretty good = 17 points in 58 minutes? 17 points does not win in the league any more. Well at least he was better then against the Ravens. The remaining 2 minutes could be considered garbage time but instead given a miracle starting with Chubb forgetting to just kneel down. If he does kneel the final score is 24-17. The bad tackling was from the DL in 2nd half and a lot of it was trying the rip the ball out in 4Q to get offense the ball back.

1 minute ago, Ghost420 said:

The fact that our 2nd yr qb who sucked as a rookie needs to sit for entire 2nd season. Essentially getting benched. 

Start with he’s not benched and isn’t going to be this season.  Since you’re in hypothetical land what if he comes in and plays well, then what?  What if all the young talent that has made Flacco look like a different QB does the same for ZW?  

Nah, it’s more fun to predict how much he’ll suck

3 minutes ago, BigB said:

Pretty good = 17 points in 58 minutes? 17 points does not win in the league any more. Well at least he was better then against the Ravens. The remaining 2 minutes could be considered garbage time but instead given a miracle starting with Chubb forgetting to just kneel down. If he does kneel the final score is 24-17. The bad tackling was from the DL in 2nd half and a lot of it was trying the rip the ball out in 4Q to get offense the ball back.

Zach Wilson threw for 200 or more yards and 2 TDs in three out of 13 starts last season. 

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Do you have a link to this...Only because it's interesting that Robert Saleh said the opposite last week.  Saleh just said on Sunday that he expects Wilson to take further steps this week, but still not go fully.

So, either you're making this up or Wischusen has a source inside the Jets contradicting Saleh. (even if it's anonymous would love to read it) 

was on Sirius around lunch yesterday I think on mad dog radio. 

11 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Chubb takes a knee at the two..Flacco throws for 200 yards, putting up 17 points in - what would be being called - a pretty bad loss.

Flacco wasn't good until the last 1:55.  He wasn't terrible either, he left a ton of plays on the field. -Good for Joe, but let's not make things up. 

But he didn't take a knee.

IF Fant isn't called for that phantom Holding call (a 40 yard penalty) on the Carter run and the Jets go ahead (instead of tying), what happens then?

No one knows. We only know what actually happened.

16 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Listening to the press conference, Saleh completely blew off the reporter who asked him if this zach's team when he is healthy.  He talked in circles and never answered the question.  I think that is very telling.  He has been adament that Zach plays the minute he is healthy.  He was not that way today.

He also made it clear that the earliest Zach will play is week 4.  But really concentrated on the "earliest" part of that statement.  He was very clear he is not playing week 4, that is just the earliest he would play.

I love Zach and want him out there ASAP.  But after watching the press conference, I think if Joe is playing well and we are wining, Zach is not getting the job back this year.  

WOW!  I am stunned but to me, if you can read through the lines, it was clear what Saleh is thinking.

Watch that part of the press conference and let me know what you think.  It was pretty early in the press conference.

And why does this surprise you? This is pretty much how any coach would answer this question. Why be pinned down by a quote. After the receipt quote and how much backlash there was, at least Saleh is recognizing  that he needs to choose what he says to the press carefully.  I think personally, Zach might benefit from watching Flacco play if he plays well. That said, I am pretty sure this Flacco love is not going to last. 

9 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Start with he’s not benched and isn’t going to be this season.  Since you’re in hypothetical land what if he comes in and plays well, then what?  What if all the young talent that has made Flacco look like a different QB does the same for ZW?  

Nah, it’s more fun to predict how much he’ll suck

If Flacco plays the season that's wilson being benched. I doubt Flacco starts all seaspn but its a possibility 

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Zach Wilson threw for 200 or more yards and 2 TDs in three out of 13 starts last season. 

With only Berrios. They have added TEs and Wilson and Hall who caught 3 TDs. The skilled positions are night and day from last year.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

But he didn't take a knee.

IF Fant isn't called for that phantom Holding call (a 40 yard penalty) on the Carter run and the Jets go ahead (instead of tying), what happens then?

No one knows. We only know what actually happened.

I do know that up to that point Flacco was average at best.

17 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

It’s the way this clown car of a frOnt office operates. Start QB from Himalayan University before.. have a single down   of experience for the HC-OC-DC, an OC that finally listened to a friend and found the OC booth, you install the brand new line zone  blocking scheme, cut GVR, have a wide receiver core made up of almost a  #2 receiver- a lost rookie slot receiver-a decent slot receiver- whatever the hell Cole was- a return man and a guy you would rather healthy scratch than play, a defense so bad you couldn’t dare try to established the run because you only got a series or two per half. 

Literally had to get Zach hurt before they let the other QB’s run the offense and found out ,” we got a couple players on offense  and the line looks better when our QB doesn’t run backwards 4-6 yards every play. 

So they try him again this year and first scrimmage  game he shows he’s not ready and a blade of grass bruises his knee. You play Joe “ slow Hand” Flacco and he proves to everyone it’s better to be lucky than good. It’s obvious that Zach isn’t very lucky.  If Zach plays a single snap before the bye this entire franchise should be banned from the NFL, 

They’re going to **** around, start Flacco the next two weeks, then drop Zach back in to play Miami, @Packers, @Denver, Belichick twice, and the Bills. It’s a no-win situation for Wilson at this point.

• Upvote 4

They’re going to **** around, start Flacco the next two weeks, then drop Zach back in to play Miami, @Packers, @Denver, Belichick twice, and the Bills. It’s a no-win situation for Wilson at this point.

Zach will be back for the Steelers games.

Zach is QB 1 - and when QB is ready to play - he plays.  He'll be ready next week.

10 hours ago, BloodGreen said:

Whomever the QB is going forward, the biggest takeaway is that this young team believes in this coach and they played like a team. When you win a game like that there is no “ME” mentality, and that’s how you win in the NFL. I was way down on Saleh going into this game, but after watching the players press conferences I feel much different. I am still not sold on his ability to game plan, but he has his players balling and putting it all out there. With a very young squad, that means a lot! Especially when you have vets like Flacco, Davis and Mosley. I have no doubt that this team is 100% bought in to what Saleh Is selling!

I'll definitely give Saleh credit for the team not giving up when down 30-17.  But other than that, I'm still unimpressed so far.  LaFleur is still the only coach that I have faith in at the moment.

And for all of this Flacco bluster, it was his first win in (I think) 7 starts for the Jets and it took a complete miracle.  Yet people are acting like he's suddenly a starting QB who has a future in that role for the Jets.

Reality check: Flacco is a 37 year old journeyman QB on his 4th team.  Robert Saleh is still the only HC in the NFL who thinks Flacco is worthy of being a starter.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Just to point out - Saleh, the HC of NYJ said the opposite..."ramping it up" means he wasn't going full.  

“Ramp it up” is just a way to say he’s not playing Wilson this week. You “ramp up” a pitcher coming off of injury by giving him progressively more pitches in warmups.

Just now, FidelioJet said:

Do you still think it's Mike White?

I really want the Jets to win this week - obviously wins are great, but also if the Jets win AND Zach comes back (which he will) - all this conspiracy non-sense will be put to an end.

The conspiracy stuff will end when Zach plays, that’s true. Until then, the Jets and Saleh are conjuring up ever more elaborate excuses as to why they’re not playing him.

• Upvote 2

“Ramp it up” is just a way to say he’s not playing Wilson this week. You “ramp up” a pitcher coming off of injury by giving him progressively more pitches in warmups.

Stop.

No it's not - it's saying he wasn't practicing 100% and he'll begin doing more this week.  that's fine, but this idea that someone on this site, heard someone on the radio say Zach was 100% and doing everything.

Yet the coach is saying the opposite. 

Now, what Wichusen likely said was - Zach looked to be doing everything in warm-ups.  Which means close to nothing - warming up - is not full practice or prepared for game day.

Yet, the anti-zach crew hears what they want.

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

The conspiracy stuff will end when Zach plays, that’s true. Until then, the Jets and Saleh are conjuring up ever more elaborate excuses as to why they’re not playing him.

Nothing is being conjured.  It's been steady since prior to week 1.

Now, what was going on that week leading up to week is strange.  

My best guess is, Saleh really thought it was gamesmanship and tried to give his team the best opportunity to win...- For better or worse - didn't really care how that was going to make his young QB look on JetNation.

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Play Flacco until he starts killing you. When he’s good-ish, he moves the ball around, gets multiple receivers involved and runs the plays as designed. There’s value in that because the rest of the offense can develop with a predictable, if middling, guy playing with them. Getting guys like Garrett Wilson, Elijah Moore, Breece Hall, Max Mitchell, and Michael Carter going is worth so much more to Saleh/Douglas than watching Zach Wilson scuffle through ten starts of Berrios-ball just so you can figure out that he’s ass. Let him earn his way back onto the field, and they can slide Zach back in there if Flacco starts backsliding later in the year. At the end of the year, the Jets could look like a juicy landing spot for a veteran QB. Or, you can go into next season with a better version of Zach Wilson. 

Let's all imagine for a second that we all like and believe Saleh.  In this case if he says Flacco is an NFL starter & that as a HC he is looking to win now then why wouldn't Zack have to earn his job back?

Seems to me thinking Zack SHOULD be handed the job back are the ones who doubt Saleh.  I'm not one of his fans but I am hoping that he is more qualified than I credit.   

• Sympathy 3

6 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Stop.

No it's not - it's saying he wasn't practicing 100% and he'll begin doing more this week.  that's fine, but this idea that someone on this site, heard someone on the radio say Zach was 100% and doing everything.

Yet the coach is saying the opposite. 

Now, what Wichusen likely said was - Zach looked to be doing everything in warm-ups.  Which means close to nothing - warming up - is not full practice or prepared for game day.

Yet, the anti-zach crew hears what they want.

We have copious video evidence that Zach is moving laterally and running without a brace and without physical limitations, though. The only thing they could be worried about physically is his ability to get hit, which isn’t going to happen in practice anyway

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

Let's all imagine for a second that we all like and believe Saleh.  In this case if he says Flacco is an NFL starter & that as a HC he is looking to win now then why wouldn't Zack have to earn his job back?

Seems to me thinking Zack SHOULD be handed the job back are the ones who doubt Saleh.  I'm not one of his fans but I am hoping that he is more qualified than I credit.   

Because the Jets believe Zach Wilson is QB 1 and gives them the best chance to win.

You love when you're #2 QB comes in a wins a game or two for you - that's great to have happen...

But when QB1 is ready - you start him.

30 minutes ago, BigB said:

we were fighting the refs too. that non catch on the sidelines that clearly showed grass between his foot and the white line killed the 1st drive.

or how about that fantom holding call on Fant that took away a 24 yd Carter run that would have made it 1st down at the 5 yd line.

and what garbage time are you talking about? do you really think they wanted us to score to make it a one score game with a chance at a onside kick? or maybe your talking about the wining 53 yd drive Flacco lead? 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Again, what you're saying...

1) You don't like Zach, you don't want Zach to play, you don't think Zach is capable of running the offense.  That is fine.  I have no problem with people not liking him....

2) But there is nothing to support or any indication that the players, team and coaches think that -in fact it's contrary to everything they've said and or done.  Zach was having a solid camp - and before the injury was stacking really solid practices.

Zach got hurt and will be back as soon as he's 100%.  

This post is complete nonsense.  I love Zach, I want him to play when he's ready to run the O.   Zach was having a solid camp last year.  It was rainbows and skittles last year until he saw live NFL action.  

Zach was promoted as a ready to start QB by the entire organization from day 1.  Hard worker, understood the playbook, looked great in practice.   At some point there are real results and real consequences.   The Jets and Zach created a  narrative that's not easy to walk back.  We may not like the way they are walking it back but there is evidence that's exactly what they are doing for very good reason.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1