103 vs. 30. Update after Week 3; 155 vs. 50

JustInFudge

6 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Is the number of pass attempts vs. rushing attempts after 2 games.  I realize they've been playing from behind in both games but that has to change.  

3 minutes ago, peebag said:

Couldn't the run averages also be because we're playing from behind?  Defense playing back and allowing medium gains?

Idk, maybe? 

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Gamescript and a really stout Baltimore run D week one probably skews these numbers, but I'm definitely surprised by how much we're passing.

But ehh, it's kinda nice when Corey Davis is your #3.

Fair, it's great having WR's for change but still, in general, it's bad ratio and needs to be more balanced.

• Upvote 4

25 minutes ago, peebag said:

Couldn't the run averages also be because we're playing from behind?  Defense playing back and allowing medium gains?

A 1-vs-3 (or was it 4) stuff for a loss + one bs call-back destroyed Carter's ypc from Sunday. On that low # of carries those 2 plays are the difference between 3.3 ypc and 7 ypc. The stuff counts, though hardly the RB's fault there, but the holding call alone robbed him of another 6 ypc game (ok, 5.9; same difference). 

More directly addressing your point, though:

• Hall's 23-yard run was the first play of the 2nd quarter when it was just a 7-0 game; no one keeps the D back to allow minimum gains at that point like they're in prevent. Let alone on 3rd & 2.

• The Fant penalty that negated Carter's 24-yard run was when the score was tied 17-17.

I'm not breaking down all their runs; just looking at Sunday's 2 biggest since those affect ypc the greatest, especially when they're carrying the ball so little. Most likely the ypc is for that reason; just a couple decent gainers has a disproportionate affect on "average" stats like ypc.

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, peebag said:

Doesn't look that way.  We are averaging 5.8 yards per carry (26 for 151) in the first half and only 2.3 (11 for 25) in the second half.

We have run the ball twice in the 4th quarter all season.  Flacco QB sneak on 3rd and 1 against Baltimore (didn't make it) and the kneel down at the end of the Cleveland game.  We also had two Michael Carter Q4 runs called back by penalty.

1 hour ago, JiFapono said:

Is the number of pass attempts vs. rushing attempts after 2 games.  I realize they've been playing from behind in both games but that has to change.  Carter is averaging 4.9 ypc and Hall is averaging 5.6 ypc.  I'd argue, the offensive line on paper is better suited to run block vs pass block.  With the emergence of Wilson, the threat of Davis/Moore to stretch the field, the Bengals should be a little bit more hesitant to sell out vs. the run.  Hopefully seeing less 8/9 men boxes, asking Flacco to throw the ball 40+ times a game is not a recipe for success.  I'd really like to see more balance from this offense.  I know score/situation dictates play calling but there were way too many calls IMO (and I like Lil Mikey) where they were running 5 wide, or motioning a RB out wide and not even giving the threat of the run, which I just think is a missed opportunity when you have backs like Carter and Hall.   Seeing that they brought Ty Johnson to pass block on a few plays, they might be concerned with Carter/Hall's ability to pick up the blitz but I really think they need to do a better job of committing to the run game to prevent from having to play from behind each week.

Not to mention that the D has been on the field way too much. Need to eat up some clock.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Totally agree.  They drafted Hall because he's exactly the type of back who will break through a crease for a big play.  They have been in both games and haven't run the ball enough.  Running the ball is also very good for the OL.  They get to dish out some punishment on the D instead of taking it all game long.  

Bengals have been pretty stout against the run and Burrow is going to light this defense up anyway, so it’s unlikely we see a ton of rushing attempts this week. 

I know I’m either an optimist or a fool but the Bengals got extremely lucky last year. I think their defense is shaky and their OLine is barely better than ours. Jets may lose this one but it will be closer than you think.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Randy Rasmussen said:

I know I’m either an optimist or a fool but the Bengals got extremely lucky last year. I think their defense is shaky and their OLine is barely better than ours. Jets may lose this one but it will be closer than you think.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

They are dangerous because of Burrow and their weapons on offense, but people forget that they were only 10-7 last year, and the Ravens were in control of that division (and leading the conference) when Lamar went down. 

The Bengals are good, but pretending the Bengals are a juggernaut is silly. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, JiFapono said:

Fair, it's great having WR's for change but still, in general, it's bad ratio and needs to be more balanced.

100% It's also a nightmare to defend our outside zone and jet sweeps with Berrios and Moore and the backs involved. We really have to start out faster in the first quarter.

Because, and I'm not sure if you've realized this, but we've been playing from behind.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, jgb said:

‘Member when all the geniuses said we’d be a run-first team?

Not me. 

As I pointed out over the summer, the WR room is loaded and LaFleur likes to pass the ball. Also, the whole league likes to pass the ball because most good teams can stop your running game and the rules greatly favor passing more than running. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, peebag said:

Game situations dictated this. Being behind all 2nd half in both games by 2 scores pretty much skewed these numbers. You cannot run because runs off too much clock. And incompletion at least stops the clock. 

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

Not me. 

As I pointed out over the summer, the WR room is loaded and LaFleur likes to pass the ball. Also, the whole league likes to pass the ball because most good teams can stop your running game and the rules greatly favor passing more than running. 

So then you’re not a genius ;) 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, jgb said:

As I said—Lawson and JJ lack the critical common factor that like 90% of elite pass rushers have—elite 3 cone.

Yeah, I don't see an elite pass rusher on the roster. 

The Jets have a lot of decent to good pass rushers - I think their ceiling as a unit is that they end up with multiple guys with between 5 and 8 sacks. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, JiFapono said:

Is the number of pass attempts vs. rushing attempts after 2 games.  I realize they've been playing from behind in both games but that has to change.  Carter is averaging 4.9 ypc and Hall is averaging 5.6 ypc.  I'd argue, the offensive line on paper is better suited to run block vs pass block.  With the emergence of Wilson, the threat of Davis/Moore to stretch the field, the Bengals should be a little bit more hesitant to sell out vs. the run.  Hopefully seeing less 8/9 men boxes, asking Flacco to throw the ball 40+ times a game is not a recipe for success.  I'd really like to see more balance from this offense.  I know score/situation dictates play calling but there were way too many calls IMO (and I like Lil Mikey) where they were running 5 wide, or motioning a RB out wide and not even giving the threat of the run, which I just think is a missed opportunity when you have backs like Carter and Hall.   Seeing that they brought Ty Johnson to pass block on a few plays, they might be concerned with Carter/Hall's ability to pick up the blitz but I really think they need to do a better job of committing to the run game to prevent from having to play from behind each week.

i think you're preaching to the choir.  people want to diss lafleur but i think he's trying to set the offense up for long term consistent success.  and that means having a solid run game.  both carter and hall are capable of breaking for long gains.  they need to get more touches.

• Upvote 1