Max Mitchell

HawkeyeJet

So I am not generally a “tape watcher” but usually do go back and watch the TV broadcast at least once.  That said, I haven’t been able to rewatch either game so far and wasn’t able to watch either game in its entirety.

My question for all you fine people is how good has Mitchell been?  I have barely noticed him in the pieces of live game I have watched, which is usually a good start.

Goof for a 4th rd rookie good?  Out playing his draft position good?  Damn we might have a serious steal good?

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, 68JET11 said:

I think this year was supposed to be a weight training and build some size year for Max, however he's not played bad, but needs more strength. Once he develops he will be the starting RT for a while.

This. Strength was his #1 goal this year. If he is even serviceable right now, he’s going to be really decent in the future as he gets stronger. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

Yeah he's looked better than Shell or Edoga ever did out there in a small sample.  He's had mistakes but in the grand scheme, nothing that can't be worked on.  He's going to get better whereas all the other RT's we've had for the past 10-15 years had peaked already at his level.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

He's actually the highest ranked rookie OT by PFF. He has been decent and he was really thrown into the fire in his first 2 games. He is I think our long term RT solution.

Hope this is true. I said over and over a RT could be found in this draft late. I didn’t expect a perfect player, but expected one that could eventually be good for us. Would be insane if he did it as a rookie.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

He's actually the highest ranked rookie OT by PFF. He has been decent and he was really thrown into the fire in his first 2 games. He is I think our long term RT solution.

He’s ranked below Charles Cross and Abraham Lucas but he’s clear ahead of Ekwonu and Neal.

Mitchell's scouting report offered rare praise for a player with a 3d round grade.  They opined that he could develop into a starter on either side because he had good feet.  He was a 4th round pick because the consensus was that he needed a year in the strength program.  That he needed to get stronger in his lower half.  

Based on both his scouting report and his play so far I would prefer to redshirt him.   It is not his play, which has been pretty good.  Like all young lineman, he has had issues in pass protection.  But he is getting out there, he is just losing the leverage battle out in space.  Once he develops the necessary strength, I too see the long term potential.  I would just prefer to get him some practice laps before throwing him into the deep end of the pool.

So far, so good.  Let's face it.  We have no right to expect him to be a bowl of cherries.  But he is holding his own.  You can sense when a young lineman is beginning to lose it.  I see no panic in him.  He stays square to his man.  He has also won a few battles and with repetitions come muscle memory.  Show me a street free agent - give him a full year of snaps and I will show you a mediocre starter for the next five years.  Unlike a street free agent, the professional scouts tell us that this 6' 6" 300 lb man has good feet.  A rare trait among the huge.   He has immense potential and there is no substitute for playing time.  Moreover - with the exception of AVT - his linemates have been the larger issue.

Edit - This is my predraft stuff on Mitchell.      

"Mitchell?  A good fit who needs a year in the program - not ready.  Ourlads had Marshall ranked 64th and we got him at 111.  He was the BAP at a position of need.  He cannot help us now but he measures and has the feet to play tackle in a zone scheme.  A great and lucky draft pick.  This could be our RT after a year in the program.  Just excellent."

• Upvote 1

On the fumble by Flacco it looked like Mitchell had Clowney tied up and had Clowney far enough past Flacco for Flacco to step up in the pocket.  Flacco just didn't move up in the pocket and Clowney was able to reach just enough to force the fumble.   He was fully engaged with Clowney it wasn't like he went around Mitchell for a strip.  I thought the kid looked pretty good.  

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

6 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Hope this is true. I said over and over a RT could be found in this draft late. I didn’t expect a perfect player, but expected one that could eventually be good for us. Would be insane if he did it as a rookie.

would also be insane how fantastic this draft was over all for us

9 hours ago, Spoot-Face said:

To my amateurish and untrained eye, he's struggled at times, but all-in-all, looked more promising than Chuma Edoga ever did. I have more confidence that he'll settle into the position and can anchor the right side of that line with AVT the way we hoped AVT and Becton would.

I saw the same struggles, personally.  Very untrained, very naked.

1 hour ago, Smashmouth said:

would also be insane how fantastic this draft was over all for us

It's very, very early.

But so far, every one of the 7 guys we drafted have been on the field.  And except for Ruckert so far, everyone of them has made plays.  It's pretty unprecedented in this place.  Enjoy the ride.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, slats said:

image.png

me , you and a few other were the biggest voices about not drafting an OT at 4. we kept telling everyone we could find a good one in the later rounds just like the rest of the league.

now these 2 guys might turn out to be good but it wont matter if Max keeps playing well.

and hopefully this board has learned a lesson and we dont have to go through that again next year where they want to draft the best OT they can get in the 1st rd. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1