Max Mitchell

HawkeyeJet

Just now, derp said:

Even the AVT trade, cute on paper, they got in before their tier drop - but I think there was a pretty clear drop after Slater. Wild that class had so much talent and the Jets potentially came away with a swing at a QB and a guard.

If we accept pff grades as gospel, avt has been above average while Darrisaw is playing like a pro bowler 

The Jets could have just stayed at 22 and taken Darrisaw 

I'm thrilled with Mitchell so far, and expect him to lock down the right side for years as he gets stronger and improves.  Would have much rather drafted studs like Sauce or Wilson than an OT.  AVT is on track to become a perennial pro bowler who will more than likely make us forget about trading two 3rd round picks to move up.

We also tried the drafting and developing mid round offensive lineman.  Didn't seem to work well across multiple regimes.  I'm sure there are a sprinkling of teams that are good at it.  Any stats to show the numbers?

Easy to point fingers when you lose 2 starting tackles and a third who didn't seem to be healthy and is now out.

JD's mistakes

1. Taking the risk to draft Becton

2. Taking the risk to draft Becton

3. Taking the risk to draft Becton

Now what do we do?  I'd spend some of Mosley's cap savings on a competent veteran swing tackle so we don't need to rely on Brown & Fant's health or McDermott.  In fact, I never want to see McDermott wear the color green again!  If that means trading the overhyped Denzel Mims, then so be it.  Just get someone in here not named Conor McDermott.

10 minutes ago, bitonti said:

If we accept pff grades as gospel, avt has been above average while Darrisaw is playing like a pro bowler 

The Jets could have just stayed at 22 and taken Darrisaw 

I don't think PFF grades are gospel, and I don't think they anticipated a tackle need at the time, but I do think the margin for error on a trade up to take a guard is quite slim and I'm not sure the AVT pick is meeting that criteria even if he's been good.

Same as first round safeties, right tackles, running backs, tight ends, off ball linebackers...you can make that pick in the second round and still feel like you've got a good chance to get a really, really good player who's impactful at his position.

I think that used to be true at wide receiver as well, but teams caught on and started taking all those guys who used to go day two and make huge impacts in the first round.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, bitonti said:

With the jets on their 4th left tackle of the season and Mitchell playing mediocre football this post aged like milk 

this post aged just fine. im not giving up Sause or GW for any OT.

and there was no guarantee if you did draft one he wouldnt be one of the 4 out right now.

• Upvote 1