Flacco Metrics Through 2 Weeks

First came to mind that Rodgers had a bad week one, Brady just played his nemesis the Saints in week 2 and Joe Burrow is living some hellish Rocky 1 remake every week - so weird two weeks.

But maybe... Joe Flacco is just... actually borderline elite?

If we beat the Bengals because of Joe Cool, then I'm squarely in camp "Gondor has no King... Gondor needs no King."

• Haha 4

23 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Two weeks is two weeks and there is not much you can take from this stuff from a predictive standpoint yet, but FO just updated and Flacco is 12th in DYAR and 15th in DVOA. Two things worth noting on that:

1. It means one of two things, either he hasn't been as bad as we all made it out to be over the two games total (mostly the first game re: that point), or this has been a funky year for QBs thus far and Flacco is handling that all quite well. 

2. I'm pretty sure this is the most efficient start to a season since Fitz. Not 100% sure, but pretty sure.

So we replaced our conquering hero with a reluctant hero and that’s the best this franchise can do at QB for about a decade? That’s some dismal shit right there Dog, 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

First came to mind that Rodgers had a bad week one, Brady just played his nemesis the Saints in week 2 and Joe Burrow is living some hellish Rocky 1 remake every week - so weird two weeks.

If we beat the Bengals because of Joe Cool, then I'm squarely in camp "Gondor has no King... Gondor needs no King."

If nothing else  at least we have seen less of the word Flaccid on the board  this week. So, that’s nice. I think. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Darnold's Forehead said:

Pretty this fanbase would think we were set for 10+ years if Zach started out with Flacco’s numbers.  If we manage to be 2-2 when he comes back, it should be a simple yes/no answer to whether he is “the chosen one.”

I would be ecstatic if he produces like Flacco’s first two games.

• Upvote 3

Just now, TuscanyTile2 said:

If Chubb didn't score and the Browns ran out the clock, Flacco would've lost 2 TDs and probably 100+ passing yards.  I wonder where he'd be ranked then.

“Big time players make big time plays in big time games.”

-The late great John Madden

Flacco played more than fine week one.  It was the horrible turnovers that cost the game to get away.  He played more than fine again week two the first 58 minutes, but again the turnovers.  I'd like to stop depending on Joe to throw the ball 50+ times game and get more balanced.  He's not Zach mobility wise, but he's more mobil than Peyton Manning and Manning ran a good play action offense. 

Open up the play book! 

• Sympathy 1

38 minutes ago, jgb said:

“The Jets are competent QB play away from being competitive.”

-“Negative” Jets Fans

”No QB could succeed in this environment.”

-“Positive” Jets Fans

As you know, "Positive Fans" are often just "Zach Above All Else" Fans, so the message has to be whatever maintains faith and hope in Zach being an elite franchise QB.  Same as usual, Sam, Geno, Sanchez, etc, etc, etc.

30 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

If you'd said "Borderline competent" I would have agreed and plus-repped.

21 minutes ago, slats said:

This fan base is emotionally unstable and this is a tiny sample size

We are what this franchise has made us.

21 minutes ago, slats said:

.....but his level of play is why I always supported playing the veteran.....

Did you?   :-k

• Upvote 3

58 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Two weeks is two weeks and there is not much you can take from this stuff from a predictive standpoint yet, but FO just updated and Flacco is 12th in DYAR and 15th in DVOA. Two things worth noting on that:

1. It means one of two things, either he hasn't been as bad as we all made it out to be over the two games total (mostly the first game re: that point), or this has been a funky year for QBs thus far and Flacco is handling that all quite well. 

2. I'm pretty sure this is the most efficient start to a season since Fitz. Not 100% sure, but pretty sure.

It stands to reason that starting the year with a veteran QB could help in the optics in this. Since the new CBA eliminated preseason, the league collectively takes the first 3-4 weeks to normalize. Veterans can certainly help mitigate sloppy play thru that period. Plus, Zach is teh suck.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

41 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

i have been the only guy saying week 1 wasnt a bad game. no matter how many times i point out how we lost points on mistakes by everyone but Flacco they still say he had a horrible game. whatever. thats why i love stats they dont lie.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

It stands to reason that starting the year with a veteran QB could help in the optics in this. Since the new CBA eliminated preseason, the league collectively takes the first 3-4 weeks to normalize. Veterans can certainly help mitigate sloppy play thru that period. Plus, Zach is teh suck.

Up until the last line I was

Jack Nicholson Reaction GIF

Then I hit that last line and I was

Loop Reaction GIF

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

If Chubb didn't score and the Browns ran out the clock, Flacco would've lost 2 TDs and probably 100+ passing yards.  I wonder where he'd be ranked then.

and if Carter doesnt drop that TD pass vs the Ravens he gets one back. see how this game is played? i got more if you want to keep going

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

I built a regression model in Python that shows just how much of an outlier that game was, but my dog ate it, so you'll just have to take my word for it.

Hey the argument was that no QB could succeed in last year’s environment but Mike White did and historically so. I can only work with what the other side gives me.

He was not good by any stretch of the imagination week 1, but last week was, quite honestly, as good as you could get.  I still want to see Zach…that hasn’t changed, but the leash has to be short.  Flacco showed he can run the offense effectively and efficiently.  Wilson needs to be able to do the same or be benched.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

51 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I think it’s probably mostly the bold. He was genuinely awful in week 1 (do they release these stats after 1 game? Curious where he would have ranked), but if you look around the league so far how many QBs have actually played well? Without looking at their rankings, I think it’s fair to say 15-20 teams around the league have gotten subpar QB play on the whole, with a bunch of the top guys laying an egg or two to start the year.

What we got out of Flacco week 2 is probably the most we can ask for. With good protection he can keep things mostly on schedule and hit a few chunk plays, while mixing in a few bonehead plays and errant throws. And when you look at the state of QB play in general you realize that’s not so bad. Just look at the NFC: I think it’s fair to say 10 of the 16 teams are trotting out mediocre at best to objectively bad QBs. Flacco is probably right on that borderline: with good protection he can get the ball to his playmakers and run an above average offense, with anything approaching worse than average protection you’re going to get a mediocre to awful offensive day. Not the worst thing in the world, and should provide minimum acceptable standards going forward.

• Upvote 1