Stefanski Mic'd up during loss

Claymation

53 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

The question I continue to have is...

Is getting the first down more important than accidentally scoring a TD?

I still think in a short yardage situation like that - it'll be tough for a guy like Chubb to go full steam ahead to make sure he got the first down and then stop within two yards.

If he's told to go down at the two - after the 1st down - it's surely possible he hits the whole more softly and doesn't get the first.

As a coach there - I would rather the RB get in the end zone than come up short of the 1st down.

Jets have a better chance to win the game if they come up short of the 1st.

He didn't need to stop on a dime, though no one else was in front of him. After breaking that last tackle he could've gone down on purpose or run out of bounds. 

Between that play and the two prior from Hunt, it's clear the coaches weren't drilling it into these guys' heads that they need to stay in bounds. Chubb's carry started at 2:02 so the clock would've stopped whether he took a knee or ran OOB. Either way they could've run out the clock. But that's a trio of RB mental errors in the same minute, so I blame the coaching staff for that, not the player(s).

3 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

He didn't need to stop on a dime, though no one else was in front of him. After breaking that last tackle he could've gone down on purpose or run out of bounds. 

Between that play and the two prior from Hunt, it's clear the coaches weren't drilling it into these guys' heads that they need to stay in bounds. Chubb's carry started at 2:02 so the clock would've stopped whether he took a knee or ran OOB. Either way they could've run out the clock. But that's a trio of RB mental errors in the same minute, so I blame the coaching staff for that, not the player(s).

Yeah, even if you want to make the excuse that they assumed it was clear they were bleeding the clock and expected the players to handle it as such, then still the moment Hunt rant out of bounds the very first time, the HC, OC, and RB coach should have all been tearing him a new one, and not casually just watching the repetition of the same mistakes right in front of them.

The win is historic because of the percentages involved that made it so unlikely, but it is actually greater than that. It is an amazing win because of the plays by Mann, Wilson, Flacco, Carter, Mitchell, Davis, Hardee. True team effort. This type of win is that should turn a roster into a team. I can´t wait to see how they react against Cincinnati.

5 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

The question I continue to have is...

Is getting the first down more important than accidentally scoring a TD?

I still think in a short yardage situation like that - it'll be tough for a guy like Chubb to go full steam ahead to make sure he got the first down and then stop within two yards.

If he's told to go down at the two - after the 1st down - it's surely possible he hits the whole more softly and doesn't get the first.

As a coach there - I would rather the RB get in the end zone than come up short of the 1st down.

Jets have a better chance to win the game if they come up short of the 1st.

I guess I don’t see how that’s the binary choice. 

9 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I guess I don’t see how that’s the binary choice. 

It's a binary choice because...

Getting the first down has to be the priority there.   and if you have to ALSO try and stop at the two - it can lessen the opportunity of getting the first down - because it would be close to impossible for a guy like Chubb to be going full speed, preparing to get passed the two - and then somehow also pull up and stop.  So he would have to go, say 50%, which would mean it would be more likely to be stopped.

So, therefor he would have to limit his chances of getting the first down.  Reality is - if he gets the TD the chances of winning are 99.98% (as we've heard all week) 

I think if they haver to kick a FG there - a lot more can go wrong.  

Look, I'm not saying the coach was thinking this way - based on the video of him - he wasn't...but it would be a reasonable excuse had he were.

What worries me more is why didn't Saleh tell the team to let him go?  It seems clear right after the run he was happy...which means he understood the situation - yet didn't fill in his team.

4 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

It's a binary choice because...

Getting the first down has to be the priority there.   and if you have to ALSO try and stop at the two - it can lessen the opportunity of getting the first down - because it would be close to impossible for a guy like Chubb to be going full speed, preparing to get passed the two - and then somehow also pull up and stop.  So he would have to go, say 50%, which would mean it would be more likely to be stopped.

So, therefor he would have to limit his chances of getting the first down.  Reality is - if he gets the TD the chances of winning are 99.98% (as we've heard all week) 

I think if they haver to kick a FG there - a lot more can go wrong.  

Look, I'm not saying the coach was thinking this way - based on the video of him - he wasn't...but it would be a reasonable excuse had he were.

What worries me more is why didn't Saleh tell the team to let him go?  It seems clear right after the run he was happy...which means he understood the situation - yet didn't fill in his team.

It’s not a binary choice, it’s not anywhere near “close to impossible” and, though he could have, he didn’t have to stop; just cut to go oob. The coaches were oblivious to the clock. They kept running sweeps & it’s clear they didn’t repeatedly stress to Hunt not to go OOB before Chubb’s TD either.

They don’t have to kick a FG and they don’t have to stay in bounds on this last one.

All added together, it’s as though it never even entered the coaches’ minds to just run out the clock. 99x out of 100 that lack of foresight doesn’t come back to bite them. This time it did.

9 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

It’s not a binary choice, it’s not anywhere near “close to impossible” and, though he could have, he didn’t have to stop; just cut to go oob. The coaches were oblivious to the clock. They kept running sweeps & it’s clear they didn’t repeatedly stress to Hunt not to go OOB before Chubb’s TD either.

They don’t have to kick a FG and they don’t have to stay in bounds on this last one.

All added together, it’s as though it never even entered the coaches’ minds to just run out the clock. 99x out of 100 that lack of foresight doesn’t come back to bite them. This time it did.

No need to go back and forth.  Look,

I agree that the the coach was oblivious to the clock and he surely shouldn't have been.  That's a fundamental of the job.  I'm not making excuses for him - because he didn't even contemplate the decision (and there's video evidence to prove it)

But, IMO, had he simply wanted to give his RB the best chance to get a first down - he wouldn't also tell him to try and get to the two - and then stop.  It would surely limit the chance of getting the 1stt.

Now, based on how the ACTUAL play - played out - he probably could have gotten the 1st and stopped - but the coach couldn't know  how easy that would have been - he needed his RB going full speed.

It's fine, you think he could have easily stopped on the two after going full-speed, I won't argue with you.  It's reasonable....

I just disagree, I think the better call was to get into the end-zone and not limit the chance of a 1st down.

Just a difference of opinion.