Brian Costello Zach Wilson is Jets’ future, but Robert Saleh must keep riding with Joe Flacco

doitny

14 hours ago, maury77 said:

I never thought Zach Wilson had to "earn" the right to play again. 

And that is exactly a huge part of the problem with this stupid franchise, and has been ever since Woody Johnson bought the team.

Every other position has to "earn" its way onto the field.....but if you're a highly drafted QB, you're the anointed one and there is generally no legitimate plan B.  Its madness.

It shouldn't matter that its year 2 of Wilson's career rather than his rookie year.  He still should have to earn back the job.  Contrary to popular opinion, players can and do lose their jobs due to injury all the time in this league.

• Upvote 3

17 hours ago, Claymation said:

Easy, Zach is our QB moving forward.

It's not like he dominated the last 2 games. He was stellar at the end of the game against the Browns.

Seriously. Over the first 58 minutes of the game, Flacco was 19/33 (57%), 184, and 2TD. Yes, he had an epic last two minutes (7/11, 123, 2TD) but anyone acting like Flacco played a great game is nuts.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Green Ghost said:

I could have worded that premise better than I did., but yes.
I think he probably cares about the pressure Wilson would be under in that situation, and I think it would be smart for them to look for a soft landing when he comes back.

You might not agree, which is fine, but I don’t think they’ll put Wilso back in the lineup if we’re coming off two straight wins, regardless of how Flacco looked getting them.

We shall see.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, jgb said:

Some are actively rooting against Flacco and the Jets though for some reason…

I don’t believe that any jets fan is rooting against the starting QB.

I don’t think people who want Wilson to start when he’s healthy are rooting against the Jets any more than the people who think Wilson sucks and never want to see him again. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

Haha of course is matters, especially if as you say the rebuild is ending - We've seen teams in worse states turn it round quicker than the Jets and coaches and GM's very often get fired in much less time. Neither guy has any more free hits and winning cures everything. 

Prioritizing "developing/winning" now is a contradiction. It's one or the other. If you are prioritizing winning then you play whoever you think the better QB is right now or at the very least you let that QB play well until he doesn't. 

Where in the world did I say Flacco is the answer? I probably rate him around the same level you do - When I say "if he's as bad" I just mean when he regresses to his usual standard. Flacco has been pretty bad every year since he left Baltimore - I'm saying you don't make the switch before that shows up - If he's putting up a 4 TD 0 INT 300+ yard game against Cincy you just can't roll Zach out there against Pittsburgh - That does no one any favours, least of all Zach.

200.gif

3 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I don’t believe that any jets fan is rooting against the starting QB.

I don’t think people who want Wilson to start when he’s healthy are rooting against the Jets any more than the people who think Wilson sucks and never want to see him again. 

I see Fake Fans everywhere

haley joel osment i see dead people GIF

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, jgb said:

I don’t have to prove people who devote hours on a Jets messageboard secretly want the team to lose. The accusation is enough apparently.

I find that hard to believe, the only player I openly rooted against as a Jet was Jason Taylor. Because "F" him.

I did buy my brother a Jason Taylor's jersey for Christmas, he punched me...hard. My father said I deserved it.

• Haha 2

Just now, Claymation said:

I find that hard to believe, the only player I openly rooted against as a Jet was Jason Taylor. Because "F" him.

I did buy my brother a Jason Taylor's jersey for Christmas, he punched me...hard. My father said I deserved it.

Now that is funny lol

29 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

Seriously. Over the first 58 minutes of the game, Flacco was 19/33 (57%), 184, and 2TD. Yes, he had an epic last two minutes (7/11, 123, 2TD) but anyone acting like Flacco played a great game is nuts.

End things right there and that's still better than all but one of Zach Wilson's performances last season.  

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

I hope he can learn from Flaccos catchable balls. Throw your receiver open and don't let them get killed. On the 1JD episode Joe was apologizing to GW for a throw (maynbe the one where he got injured), for making him have to run in traffic. 

11 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Meanwhile Justin Herbert's organs are nearly falling out of his chest but he'll still throw for 350 yards this week.

What happens if ZW comes back against the Steelers but gets a tiny scrape, causing his health to be just below 110%?  Does he return to the field?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

I only keep playing Joe if he's playing well and the team is winning.  If he plays poor but the team wins, Zach starts.  If he lights it up but we lose, why not lose with the future of the franchise getting experience?  

Because maybe you can win other games with Flacco that you wouldn't with Wilson even if you lose to a Super Bowl participant from the previous season?  Also, if you determine that all other players will grow/develop better with Flacco in there.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Wit said:

I hope he can learn from Flaccos catchable balls. Throw your receiver open and don't let them get killed. On the 1JD episode Joe was apologizing to GW for a throw (maynbe the one where he got injured), for making him have to run in traffic. 

Two things here:

1) Zach does throw his WR's open.  While does not throw balls that hurt his WR's.  Just not a thing....

2) The Flacco throw that he got GW hurt was a high ball - that floated and caused GW to have to go up to get it in traffic - and almost broke his back.  

When GW said Flacco throws a more receiver friendly ball - it was meant simply because it doesn't have as much heat on it. I got news for you - WR's have to catch balls that come with heat.  That's part of the job.  I suspect I would throw a more receiver friendly ball than Flacco.  Doesn't mean it's better.

• Upvote 1