We just need Zach to be average..

55 minutes ago, slats said:

If GWilson, Moore, Davis, MC1, Hall and Conklin can remain healthy another week or two, Zach will have -by far- the strongest cast he’s ever had around him, and dramatically better than the Smith/Black/Krofty combo he was playing with at the end of last season while looking better despite his surrounding cast. The weapons are in place for him to succeed. If he can come in and look “average” the first week or two, that’ll be fine, but he needs to be a lot better than that by the end of the year. If he can’t simply establish himself as clearly the best option on the team by then, the Jets will have some decisions to make. 

Very fair.  He surely should have to prove to be the QB that gives them the best chance to win. And he shouldn’t need the whole season to prove it.  

• Upvote 1

I'm a hard core value-matching-draft-position guy. But that model doesn't fit quarterback drafting. You hope for a home run and settle for a double if you need one; i.e., you take the risk of looking bad as to value.

If posters here want to excoriate JD for not hitting a home run that's fine, It's also fine if they want to tell me that they "knew" that say Mac Jones would be a double, with the bonus of additional draft choices thrown in. But they should understand that the shoot the moon approach is equally legitimate.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Alworth said:

I'm a hard core value-matching-draft-position guy. But that model doesn't fit quarterback drafting. You hope for a home run and settle for a double if you need one; i.e., you take the risk of looking bad as to value.

If posters here want to excoriate JD for not hitting a home run that's fine, It's also fine if they want to tell me that they "knew" that say Mac Jones would be a double, with the bonus of additional draft choices thrown in. But they should understand that the shoot the moon approach is equally legitimate.

Zach was a $20 scratch off ticket hoping for a million pay out.  The card has been scratched, no winners.  Not even a free ticket.  Time to trade him before that last line of numbers is scratched.

Hunger-Games-may-the-odds-be-ever-in-you

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 3

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

The college game is so different - just the speed of the NFL can’t be duplicated.
Which is why teams draft traits. Skills.   And hope he can handle it.  
Guys with elite traits will always go high.  They’re not over drafted, just where the demand is.  

In this, you won’t get disagreement from me.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, munchmemory said:

If Zach winds up as average after being the #2 pick?  It will be regarded as another of this franchise's colossal failures.  If we truly just want an average QB, they should have used that pick more wisely and just taken a QB in the second round.

At the risk of putting words in the mouth of the OP, I think he means Zach just needs to be average NOW, which is fine for a year 2 QB. And if he can be average NOW, after 2 more years of experience and his skillset he should be above average and on his way to even better.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Average by definition would be the 16th best QB in the NFL 

Not sure that would be a colossal failure.  He should certainly be better than that, but colossal failure is a bit much.  Would put him around Cousins and Carr.

I expect much more from him - and you should expect that with #2....

The odds of finding the 16th best QB in the NFL in the 2nd round shrinks substantially.  You take your best shot at the best QB you can find and do everything to support him.

Average on a rookie deal isn’t good enough. Look at what Goff and Wentz are right now and how they’re regarded around the league. Then go back and look at what they did as second year quarterbacks when their franchises were able to put great supporting casts around them because they were on rookie contracts.

That level of play is what should be the bar for Wilson, in my opinion. Neither set the world on fire as rookies or were playing with otherworldly skill talent as second year guys either.

I don’t think a guy who’s league average this year on a rookie deal is on a a trajectory to live up to a franchise QB contract after his rookie deal is up, and that’s what they need Wilson to be.

Not saying he’s absolutely a failure if he doesn’t reach that bar. But I think it’s a reasonable, attainable bar, and one that guys who are basically borderline NFL starters have reached. So I think less than that is a red flag.

He’s talented and the situation is adequate. Expectations should be high.

• Upvote 1

With the roster around him, the team could have some success with an average QB. That's not what you want from a #2 pick in the draft but not categorically a bust, either. 

The big question will be whether Douglas can sustain a roster good enough to support Wilson until an upgrade emerges. All these rookies need a lot more cash on a second contract. Also, they are going to think about whether they could make the same or more plus a shot at a ring somewhere else.

24 minutes ago, derp said:

Average on a rookie deal isn’t good enough. Look at what Goff and Wentz are right now and how they’re regarded around the league. Then go back and look at what they did as second year quarterbacks when their franchises were able to put great supporting casts around them because they were on rookie contracts.

That level of play is what should be the bar for Wilson, in my opinion. Neither set the world on fire as rookies or were playing with otherworldly skill talent as second year guys either.

I don’t think a guy who’s league average this year on a rookie deal is on a a trajectory to live up to a franchise QB contract after his rookie deal is up, and that’s what they need Wilson to be.

Not saying he’s absolutely a failure if he doesn’t reach that bar. But I think it’s a reasonable, attainable bar, and one that guys who are basically borderline NFL starters have reached. So I think less than that is a red flag.

He’s talented and the situation is adequate. Expectations should be high.

I don’t disagree with any of this.  I’m Just arguing  that it would t be a “colossal failure.” Goff almost won a super bowl.  
I’ve said we want a lot more and should expect it.  I just don’t see it as it would have a colossal failure If he ends up being In the middle third of the league of QB’s.  

2 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Average QB’s dint win Superbowls anymore. Yet, they do allow you to watch the entire games without getting so drunk you can’t get off the couch. Baby steps? 

First, I think about preserving my retinas. Then, I worry about a ring.

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I don’t disagree with any of this.  I’m Just arguing  that it would t be a “colossal failure.” Goff almost won a super bowl.  
I’ve said we want a lot more and should expect it.  I just don’t see it as it would have a colossal failure If he ends up being In the middle third of the league of QB’s.  

Goff’s second year wasn’t really middle third of the league, though. Don’t think it’d be a colossal failure if Wilson was middle third of the league, but anything shy of borderline top ten is probably an indicator he’s not going to get where he needs to be.

Even if he’s borderline top ten, like Goff and Wentz were, the jury will be out on whether he’s actually a franchise guy.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Joe Flacco, an aging shell of Peyton Manning and Nick Foles all won the Super Bowl in the last 10 years.  

Flacco had one of the most dominant playoff appearances ever. Peyton Manning with a broken neck still top 5 QB all time, Nick Foles? Took advantage of a perfect storm. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yet people want to bench Joe Flacco for Zach Wilson!

It's getting hard to tell if people are being sarcastic or serious in their support of Joe Flacco, a QB zero NFL teams have wanted for half a decade. Granted, he was able to win a game thanks to Nick Chubb not taking a knee, and a blown coverage and a onside kick. I mean he did play well enough to win if the football gods granted us 3 miracles. So that seems pretty sustainable.....

13 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

It's getting hard to tell if people are being sarcastic or serious in their support of Joe Flacco, a QB zero NFL teams have wanted for half a decade. Granted, he was able to win a game thanks to Nick Chubb not taking a knee, and a blown coverage and a onside kick. I mean he did play well enough to win if the football gods granted us 3 miracles. So that seems pretty sustainable.....

Much of the love directed at Flacco, Mike White, Streveler and Josh Johnson the last 2 years is more of an indictment of how people view Wilson than anything else.

I don’t ACTUALLY think any of these QBs are really any good.  They just all have been more appealing options than our # 2 overall pick and that’s the sad part.  

If Wilson were any good no one would give a single f**k about all these backup QBs.

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

We just need Zach Wilson to be more like Jimmy Garoppolo, or else the Jets sign Jimmy Garoppolo next off-season.

That's all this offense needs is someone capable of getting the ball to the playmakers with high percentage passing, a solid running game and minimal mistakes. I honestly don't give a rats ass that Zach has a strong arm, accuracy comes first in the short passing game and everything builds off of that. As you pass further and further down field the completion percentage goes down drastically. Main thing, don't miss on the short passes and start hitting players in stride and Wilson will be just fine.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Smashmouth said:

That's all this offense needs is someone capable of getting the ball to the playmakers with high percentage passing, a solid running game and minimal mistakes. I honestly don't give a rats ass that Zach has a strong arm, accuracy comes first in the short passing game and everything builds off of that. As you pass further and further down field the completion percentage goes down drastically. Main thing, don't miss on the short passes and start hitting players in stride and Wilson will be just fine.

Big arm means nothing if you don’t have a mastery of the basics.

• Upvote 2

Just now, jgb said:

Big arm means nothing if you don’t have a mastery of the basics.

Yup and we have seen it sooooo many times with big arm QB's coming out of college. Montana , Brees and Brady were all killers in the short passing game. You need a 3rd and 7 converted your not throwing the ball 30 yards down field your throwing it ten yards and moving the chains

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Flacco had one of the most dominant playoff appearances ever. Peyton Manning with a broken neck still top 5 QB all time, Nick Foles? Took advantage of a perfect storm. 

Nick Foles is a damn good QB and the reason he's damn good is because he's money in the clutch . For some reason some players just do great in the playoffs and under pressure but he may never have that chance again. Look at Terry Bradshaw's numbers, they were horrible, but in the playoffs the guy was insane. 

• Post of the Week 1

27 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Up until those last 2 drives Flacco stunk. And the Drive before when we were down 7 He airmailed a sure first down we were very very lucky to get the ball back. It was not only the Chubb TD run 2 times on that drive Kareem Hunt Ran out of Bounds or it might have been Chubb once and Hunt once.... just bad football.

• Upvote 1