The SI article

David Harris

Good article. Talent level of the roster is far better than previous years. I like the direction JD is going with this team.  You can tell he actually has a plan unlike previous gms.

But now it’s time to actually show some progress. He’s been on the job for 3 years now. Team needs to be competitive week in and week out. No more blowouts. 

Personally, I like JD but I think His 2 biggest mistakes are Wilson and saleh. I didn’t understand the Wilson hype coming out of college. and I thought saleh was equally overrated when he came here.( Personally I wanted pederson or daboll.)

I hope Wilson and saleh can both prove me wrong. Theres nothing I want more than to have those 2 positions to be set in stone. But If Wilson busts I’d give JD 1 more crack at picking a QB. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

“You can get it like they did in 2015, but it’s not going to last,” Saleh says, referencing the team’s 10–6 season with Ryan Fitzpatrick at quarterback, during which they finished a game out of the postseason. “You’re getting into salary cap hell and you’re just chasing all the time. We want to build a roster that can weather the storm. Be consistently good.”

The 2022 Jets are one of the top-five highest cash-spend rosters in all of football. The 2023 Jets are currently slated to have a mere $8,345,000 in cap space next season. Get this excuse-making loser off of my ******* football team. 

He ain’t wrong!! 2015 the core of that team was veterans for 1 or 2 years. Nothing beyond that. 

Bob is setting us up good. So unappreciative. Thank you Saleh. Thank you!!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

“You can get it like they did in 2015, but it’s not going to last,” Saleh says, referencing the team’s 10–6 season with Ryan Fitzpatrick at quarterback, during which they finished a game out of the postseason. “You’re getting into salary cap hell and you’re just chasing all the time. We want to build a roster that can weather the storm. Be consistently good.”

The 2022 Jets are one of the top-five highest cash-spend rosters in all of football. The 2023 Jets are currently slated to have a mere $8,345,000 in cap space next season. Get this excuse-making loser off of my ******* football team. 

Well the season is too young to determine if the cash injection was a positive

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

He ain’t wrong!! 2015 the core of that team was veterans for 1 or 2 years. Nothing beyond that. 

Bob knows where the money has been spent on this team. All he’s saying is that the reason they’re losing is because they won’t rent a quarterback, which is just him saying, “I am 4-14 as a head coach because of Zach Wilson.” Robert Saleh is a loser. 

• Thumb Down 4
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

wolf of wall street omg GIF

• Haha 2

I got a good laugh out of this lol

• Haha 2

But you are only telling part of the story.  We are 4th in the league in active cap sepnding according to over the cap.  But we are last in dead cap spending.  When the two are combined, Jets are 21st in NFL in total cap spending for 2022.

Also according to Over the Cap, we are at about $9M cap space for next season based on current roster, not too far off of your number, but that is middle of the pack -- 18th in the league.

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space

But that said, none of it matters if we don't start to play competitive football and win games on a more regular basis than we have for most of the last decade.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 4

7 minutes ago, Lith said:

But you are only telling part of the story.  We are 4th in the league in active cap sepnding according to over the cap.  But we are last in dead cap spending.  When the two are combined, Jets are 21st in NFL in total cap spending for 2022.

Also according to Over the Cap, we are at about $9M cap space for next season based on current roster, not too far off of your number, but that is middle of the pack -- 18th in the league.

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space

But that said, none of it matters if we don't start to play competitive football and win games on a more regular basis than we have for most of the last decade.

I took offense to Saleh’s characterization that he’s running out there every week with some threadbare roster chock-filled with UDFA’s and castoffs. They’ve used a lot of money and resources in a lot of different areas and it’s a team that, you’d think, a lot of coaching staffs could produce a competitive season with. He was clearly implicating the QB position, which is ofd considering he made his bones on a San Francisco team with Garoppolo, and the last two Super Bowl winners fielded veteran add-ons at QB. 50% of his career wins came with Flacco and White at QB. I also find it distasteful that he mentioned the 2015 team specifically. Like he would turn his nose up at going 10-6 with Ryan Fitzpatrick? As it stands, Saleh won’t see his tenth coaching victory until his third season. 

• Upvote 3

24 minutes ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

To be a fan of this team with the media, the fans and all the BS that comes with it you need to be either mentally strong, drink plenty of booze, or take some numbing narcotics. 
I will power through until I’m in the grave.

How about all three? Asking for a friend ...

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

Personally, I like JD but I think His 2 biggest mistakes are Wilson and saleh. I didn’t understand the Wilson hype coming out of college. and I thought saleh was equally overrated when he came here.( Personally I wanted pederson or daboll.)

I think JDs biggest mistakes are Becton and Mims and most of that draft class. Wilson obviously has a ton of talent and is just going to take some time. Saleh seems like a good head coach to me. He talks and explains things to the media. His team is organized and plays hard for him. Saleh is good and he's learning on the job like a ton of other Jet rookies. The Jets had only 2 good drafts out of the last 10 - the rest have sucked. The last 2 will help built a foundation for this team - but we want it to get us to the Super Bowl now - that's not going to happen. Jets need more that 2 good drafts to be in that conversation and we need Zach to become what we think he can - and if he doesn't and we've had 3 good drafts under our belt we can then pick up a good free agent QB or trade for one and then we are a playoff team.

2 hours ago, Zachtomims47 said:

He wasn’t wrong at all, lmfao.  I’ve been saying the same thing since 2016 regarding that run.  It was a total waste of a season that led this team to years of toxic turmoil, spearheaded by Bowles and Macc deciding to bend themselves over a barrel to bring Ryan Fitzpatrick back.

Should have canned all three of them in 2017.  Especially when it came out that Wilkerson was showing up late to meetings, drunk or hungover, and Todd did absolutely nothing about it.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

40 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I took offense to Saleh’s characterization that he’s running out there every week with some threadbare roster chock-filled with UDFA’s and castoffs. They’ve used a lot of money and resources in a lot of different areas and it’s a team that, you’d think, a lot of coaching staffs could produce a competitive season with. He was clearly implicating the QB position, which is ofd considering he made his bones on a San Francisco team with Garoppolo, and the last two Super Bowl winners fielded veteran add-ons at QB. 50% of his career wins came with Flacco and White at QB. I also find it distasteful that he mentioned the 2015 team specifically. Like he would turn his nose up at going 10-6 with Ryan Fitzpatrick? As it stands, Saleh won’t see his tenth coaching victory until his third season. 

I have no issue with his comments.  2015 was not sustainable.  We won 14 games the next three years.  He did inherit an awful roster.  The team is better now.  Another 4-win season this year will be a failure.  Time to start showing some progress on the field.

I am never going to either kill a coach or pat him on the back over what he says to the press.  Judge him based on what his team does on the field.  This year's team should be considerably better than last year.  Will it be?  Time will tell.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

8 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

He wasn’t wrong at all, lmfao.  I’ve been saying the same thing since 2016 regarding that run.  It was a total waste of a season that led this team to years of toxic turmoil, spearheaded by Bowles and Macc deciding to bend themselves over a barrel to bring Ryan Fitzpatrick back.

Should have canned all three of them in 2017.  Especially when it came out that Wilkerson was showing up late to meetings, drunk or hungover, and Todd did absolutely nothing about it.

I am loath to defend Maccagnan, but the 2015 draft was the Jameis and Mariota draft. The QBs Maccagnan could be accused of passing on were Garrett Grayson and Sean Mannion. 

Bob knows where the money has been spent on this team. All he’s saying is that the reason they’re losing is because they won’t rent a quarterback, which is just him saying, “I am 4-14 as a head coach because of Zach Wilson.” Robert Saleh is a loser. 

200.gif

We’re in the spin zone baby.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I am loath to defend Maccagnan, but the 2015 draft was the Jameis and Mariota draft. The QBs Maccagnan could be accused of passing on were Garrett Grayson and Sean Mannion. 

He could have just as easily stuck with Geno Smith, the QB who thoroughly outplayed Fitzpatrick in camp.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Lith said:

I have no issue with his comments.  2015 was not sustainable.  We won 14 games the next three years.  He did inherit an awful roster.  The team is better now.  Another 4-win season this year will be a failure.  Time to start showing some progress on the field.

I am never going to either kill a coach or pat him on the back over what he says to the press.  Judge him based on what his team does on the field.  This year's team should be considerably better than last year.  Will it be?  Time will tell.

That’s fair. What I dislike about Saleh, so far, is that he’s been treating the Jets job like he has multiple redshirt seasons until Zach Wilson gets better, and while that’s probably true in actuality, it’s still not how any coach should comport themselves. The Jets need to win. They don’t need their head coach explaining why they don’t win. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

#Sustainable

Nothing Maccagnan did was sustainable, but not giving big contracts to Ryan Fitzpatrick, Mo Wilkerson, Matt Forte, or Ryan Clady because him and Todd got fooled into believing that 2015 meant that the team was very close to a Super Bowl, would have helped.

Again: Wilkerson was showing up late to meetings, drunk or hungover, Todd did absolutely nothing about it…and they STILL paid him.  That situation is a microcosm of everything that got us to where we are at now.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Nothing Maccagnan did was sustainable, but not giving big contracts to Ryan Fitzpatrick, Mo Wilkerson, Matt Forte, or Ryan Clady because him and Todd got fooled into believing that 2015 meant that the team was very close to a Super Bowl, would have helped.

Again: Wilkerson was showing up late to meetings, drunk or hungover, Todd did absolutely nothing about it…and they STILL paid him.

Maccagnan sucked sh*t, but his handling of Fitzpatrick was way down on the list. The QBs In the 2016 draft were Goff, Wentz, and Paxton Lynch. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Maccagnan sucked sh*t, but his handling of Fitzpatrick was way down on the list. The QBs In the 2016 draft were Goff, Wentz, and Paxton Lynch. 

Dak Prescott says hello.

There were a number of posters here, myself included, who wanted Dak in the mid-rounds.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Great Article. 

The key is the Jets are FINALLY IMO building an organization! 

And that is key winning in the NFL isn't an accident, you must have a coherent organization to win on a consistent basis.

And for once in forever we have a Jets organization trying to really do it right and we have to give them a chance...

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1