The SI article

David Harris

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Ryan Fitzpatrick didn’t keep them from drafting a quarterback in the fourth round

I didn’t say that.  I’m contesting the notion that Maccagnan didn’t have options other than “Pay Ryan Fitzpatrick whatever he wants”.  

Geno Smith as the 2016 starter, along with Dak Prescott as a mid round pick, while also using our first round pick on anything other than a tiny LB our HC wanted would have been infinitely better than what ended up happening.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Bob knows where the money has been spent on this team. All he’s saying is that the reason they’re losing is because they won’t rent a quarterback, which is just him saying, “I am 4-14 as a head coach because of Zach Wilson.” Robert Saleh is a loser. 

Lying Season 4 GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I didn’t say that.  I’m contesting the notion that Maccagnan didn’t have options other than “Pay Ryan Fitzpatrick whatever he wants”.  

Geno Smith as the 2016 starter, along with Dak Prescott as a mid round pick, while also using our first round pick on anything other than a tiny LB our HC wanted would have been infinitely better than what ended up happening.

Playing a vet is a mistake when it keeps you from tanking, and the Jets didn’t have a QB worth tanking for in 15 or 16. They weren’t keeping Idzik’s quarterback around after Rex slimed the sh*t out of him and the Enkempali face-punch. 

• Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, Zachtomims47 said:

He ain’t wrong!! 2015 the core of that team was veterans for 1 or 2 years. Nothing beyond that. 

Bob is setting us up good. So unappreciative. Thank you Saleh. Thank you!!

Then Flacco shouldn’t be here…. Streveler would be our better back up. I agree with his comments, but his actions dont support his words. 

15 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Playing a vet is a mistake when it keeps you from tanking, and the Jets didn’t have a QB worth tanking for in 15 or 16. They weren’t keeping Idzik’s quarterback around after Rex slimed the sh*t out of him and the Enkempali face-punch. 

Turns out they should have is all I’m saying.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Becton has been in the coaches’ doghouse since day one.  LaFleur basically told him to get his sh*t together last season and he was demoted to RT off the rip this year.

Mekhi Becton would have started every snap this year if his leg didn’t give out on him. The fact is, they haven’t, and weren’t, doing sh*t to Becton and Becton was laughing in Saleh’s face the whole way. 

And as for the 2015 season where Wilkerson allegedly dogged it? He had twelve sacks, 64 tackles, made the Pro Bowl, and was second-team All Pro.

Todd Bowles has been producing elite defense for multiple franchises for decades in the league. Robert Saleh produced one good statistical season on a team that, coincidentally, finished 2nd in the league on offense, first in rushing, and first in time of possession. That was his resume.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Lith said:

I have no issue with his comments.  2015 was not sustainable.  We won 14 games the next three years.  He did inherit an awful roster.  The team is better now.  Another 4-win season this year will be a failure.  Time to start showing some progress on the field.

I am never going to either kill a coach or pat him on the back over what he says to the press.  Judge him based on what his team does on the field.  This year's team should be considerably better than last year.  Will it be?  Time will tell.

With our biggest liability on the bench, the world is our oyster.  When BYU is behind center, it's just a cluster fu(^.

Saleh seems like a great guy and has some really strong/positive leadership traits.  I think the long term vision, pairing the HC and GM and giving them a long leash, and focusing on football character are all excellent ways to build a strong foundation for the organization.

That being said, to echo what most of us are saying, being a HC in 2022 means you are also great at the in-game management type things. The days of the rah-rah motivator coach are gone and he needs to improve that part of his skill set in order to be succesful.

11 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Maccagnan sucked sh*t, but his handling of Fitzpatrick was way down on the list. The QBs In the 2016 draft were Goff, Wentz, and Paxton Lynch. 

If memory serves me correctly I believe it was you that was all gung ho on Paxton Lynch!

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Mekhi Becton would have started every snap this year if his leg didn’t give out on him. The fact is, they haven’t, and weren’t, doing sh*t to Becton and Becton was laughing in Saleh’s face the whole way.

Actually Becton was in Texas most of the off season having a baby so maybe he was laughing at Saleh from afar, but not in his face.

As an aside, he never lost his baby fat which probably contributed to his getting injured!

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, T0mShane said:

That’s fair. What I dislike about Saleh, so far, is that he’s been treating the Jets job like he has multiple redshirt seasons until Zach Wilson gets better, and while that’s probably true in actuality, it’s still not how any coach should comport themselves. The Jets need to win. They don’t need their head coach explaining why they don’t win. 

Can you delete all your posts in this thread except this one? 

• Haha 3

Not considering last year as a rookie HC with a lackluster roster is what it is. 

Through 2 games this year though is that the CS game planning seems to suffer tunnel vision.  Last week it feels like the plan was focus on DE and week 1 it felt like it was all about lamar with little attention paid to the rest of the game. 

I don't know if anyone else has seen this or if it's just me? 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

The key is the Jets are FINALLY IMO building an organization! 

Apart from decisions re: the QB position, placekicker and O-line, JD has been an improvement over his recent predecessors.

But his misses (noted above) are serious, meaningful misses.  So far, JD likely still has time to sort them out, even if this year goes south as most expect.

I like his general style, he's been great trading away subpar previous talent, and I'm much more supportive of many of his draft picks (first GM to pick players I wanted to pick, how can I complain, lol).  He and I agreed on Wilson, Hall and Ruckert for example this year.  So clearly I like those moves.  But he's been less good at Free Agent talent eval, and most of his FA picks have fizzled or worse so far (2022 TBD of course).

He needs to fix the O-line more permanently before next season (at least he's trying, unlike many prev. GM's), and he cannot waste several more years on Zach is Zach doesn't meaningfully prove his a FQB in 2022 AND remain available the rest of this season once he is back.

Saleh has done nothing to mark him as special as a Head Coach, but he also hasn't done anything to show he's inept either.  I almost forget he's there most Sundays.  Not sure that's a good thing.  Our O-Co is the guy that demands attention, not Saleh.  Which is disappointing given how much I supported his hire, is he fails, I was wrong, and I hate being wrong, lol.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Apart from decisions re: the QB position, placekicker and O-line, JD has been an improvement over his recent predecessors.

But his misses (noted above) are serious, meaningful misses.  So far, JD likely still has time to sort them out, even if this year goes south as most expect.

I like his general style, he's been great trading away subpar previous talent, and I'm much more supportive of many of his draft picks (first GM to pick players I wanted to pick, how can I complain, lol).  He and I agreed on Wilson, Hall and Ruckert for example this year.  So clearly I like those moves.  But he's been less good at Free Agent talent eval, and most of his FA picks have fizzled or worse so far (2022 TBD of course).

He needs to fix the O-line more permanently before next season (at least he's trying, unlike many prev. GM's), and he cannot waste several more years on Zach is Zach doesn't meaningfully prove his a FQB in 2022 AND remain available the rest of this season once he is back.

Saleh has done nothing to mark him as special as a Head Coach, but he also hasn't done anything to show he's inept either.  I almost forget he's there most Sundays.  Not sure that's a good thing.  Our O-Co is the guy that demands attention, not Saleh.  Which is disappointing given how much I supported his hire, is he fails, I was wrong, and I hate being wrong, lol.

Wish I could say you were wrong but you are not with your caution concerning results!

I am just happy that except for the OL I have felt that JD has done what he could to build the team despite results.

JD got Saleh, my pick for HC, improved the defensive talent, and got quality offensive talent but the key is Zach Wilson who I think can be good but who wasn't my pick, wanted Fields, so I am giving Saleh & JD this year and yes next but like you said if I'm wrong it will suck, and I like you hate being wrong.... :)

Let's Go Jets!

• Upvote 1