The Rebuild Isn't Working

freestater

40 minutes ago, freestater said:

Plus a couple tackles, some linebackers, a passrush, couple players in the secondary and a DT or two. 

After that, we're all set. 

If Zach plays at a very high level we will compete and win games.   This game had a huge mismatch at be QB position.  You close that gap and these are close winnable games.  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, freestater said:

Newsflash, I know. We've been sold a bill of goods. There isn't a single unit on this team that Joe Douglas has assembled, competent and talented enough to compete in this league. Thats the harsh reality. 

Yea, well we're in the rebuild of the rebuild now so you can't judge it for another six years. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Integrity28 said:

“Rebuilding” in and of itself is a farce. It’s what bad organizations tell fans they are doing when they are saddled with a long history of bad decisions, investments and culture.

No team legitimately plans for rebuilding. It’s just a cop out. This is one of the primary reasons Saleh and Douglas make me cringe. They actively talk about rebuilding like it’s a legitimate, non-competitive state. Reality is”rebuild” is simply how multi-million dollar orgs with terrible leadership placate their fans/consumers.

Rebuilding is a polite way of saying ‘give me time’.  Unlike other ‘rebuilds’ here you can see talent.  The hope is that Zach can find the end zone enough to give the fans hope.  We will see.  The LT spot is not encouraging. 

The d is more concerning b/c there are systemic issues which transcend the personnel.  Miscommunication, penalties and giving up a td on the first drive every single game regardless of who is playing.  The coaching on defense is a disaster.  It’s possible the o can be salvaged with wilson and wilson.

2 hours ago, TBJ said:

Remember that guy who killed the Bengals last year?

Mike White was his name. That's why I have been questioning Saleh's decision making. We all knw Flacco wasn't going to get better in the second half, so why not give the team a spark and put White in at QB. For one thing Fant was hurt and McDermott played the second half at LT, so a more mobile QB was certainly called for, so why not White? This is the kind of hesitant or non decision making moves that have been a historic failure of our HC's.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Rebuilding is a polite way of saying ‘give me time’.  Unlike other ‘rebuilds’ here you can see talent.  The hope is that Zach can find the end zone enough to give the fans hope.  We will see.  The LT spot is not encouraging. 

The d is more concerning b/c there are systemic issues which transcend the personnel.  Miscommunication, penalties and giving up a td on the first drive every single game regardless of who is playing.  The coaching on defense is a disaster.  It’s possible the o can be salvaged with wilson and wilson.

Does anyone know who Quinnen got into the shouting match with on the sideline? I think it was the d-line coach and NOT Ulbrich

2 minutes ago, Ex-Rex said:

Mike White was his name. That's why I have been questioning Saleh's decision making. We all knw Flacco wasn't going to get better in the second half, so why not give the team a spark and put White in at QB. For one thing Fant was hurt and McDermott played the second half at LT, so a more mobile QB was certainly called for, so why not White? This is the kind of hesitant or non decision making moves that have been a historic failure of our HC's.

Because saleh is more concerned about losing the respect of the veterans in the locker room than he is about doing everything he possibly can to win.  It’s the same thing with gase and bowles.  

• Upvote 2

Douglas was getting fawned over by many from day one, despite nothing having happened at that point to justify it.  Extremely little has been done since then to change that, other than excessive praise of completely unproven decisions followed by the same laundry list of excuses given to the newest guy arbitrarily deemed to be the blameless for his own failures.

At this point, it really is little more than Bowles/Maccagnan Part Deux, we just have to hope this team is smart enough to have learned something from that, regardless of how some may be so adamant about repeating the same exact mistakes.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, Bleedin Green said:

Douglas was getting fawned over by many from day one, despite nothing having happened at that point to justify it.  Extremely little has been done since then to change that, other than excessive praise of completely unproven decisions followed by the same laundry list of excuses given to the newest guy arbitrarily deemed to be the blameless for his own failures.

At this point, it really is little more than Bowles/Maccagnan Part Deux, we just have to hope this team has is smart enough to have learned something from that, regardless of how some may be so adamant about repeating the same exact mistakes.

It's not his fault the coach he hired or the free agents he signed suck! Look at his draft this year (don't look in year 2)! 

I think that is how this goes..

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Disgusted by how many of you were rooting for this team to fail today.  Absolutely disgusted.

Huh? Who rooted for them to fail today? I never read one sentence from anyone wanting them to fail. They really don't need any help anyway

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

Or something like, “We’ve failed, but here is why we shouldn’t be held accountable.”

I don’t know why the hell Douglas escapes the ire of so many.

Yeah, he’s drafted a couple of talented young guys over the last two years.

Awesome

That just means the next GM won’t have to completely start from scratch.

Saleh is his hand picked HC and Wilson is his hand picked QB, the highest we’ve drafted since Namath.

Either those two start producing or they can all f*ck off together. This bozo doesn’t get another HC and highly drafted QB just because he’s not a completely useless sh*tstain like Macc and Idzik.

• Upvote 1

This isn't JD's fault. It's the coaching staff's fault for sucking so badly. And if you say that JD hired the coaching staff, somebody hired JD too, so your argument has to go higher than that. Either way, JD has constructed multiple position strengths that just aren't utilized right. We have some really good WRs on the team in Garret Wilson and Elijah Moore (Although to be fair Moore hasn't been to great lately). The corners are pretty good, and I am liking the TE group. RBs are pretty good too. The offense has been stuttering partly due to some injuries (Brown being the big one) and I think also due to bad coaching on LaFleur's part (Yea, I know a lot of you love LaFleur, but 4 field goals as a total score doesn't look good even with a pretty bad roster.). Saleh doesn't look like he knows what's going on, and who knows what's going through Ulbrich's head. Safety position is a real issue and the DL and OL crapped out today. Either way, JD is not the problem on this team. It's the coaches.

1 minute ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

I'll go Willams at DC, but want to avoid the buffoon at all costs. 

Just looking at his face gives me PTSD. 

It’s not about whether Rex is good… it’s about zero faith that Woody can do better. Rex was peak Woody as a talent acquirer. That’s all there is in this well, folks.

1 minute ago, TBJ said:

Flacco was awful today. Would have much rather seen Mike White.

Mike White would have been worse than Flacco. He can't or won't throw far, he's very interception prone, and his only good game was due to there being no footage of him and Michael Carter carrying the team for him.

2 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

Rebuilding is a polite way of saying ‘give me time’.

yes exactly, except Saleh doesn’t really have a plan or a clue

he didn’t have a plan for the Bengals and he has no big picture road map for building a successful football team

all he’s doing is buying time hoping things will somehow “flip” at some magical moment down the road