Fair assessment of game

Phillyjet

8 minutes ago, Phillyjet said:

Another week for a team that arguably should now be 0-3 and ranked near last, if not last, in the NFL power rankings.  Last week’s feel good story glossed over terrible mistakes and poor execution, particularly by the defense.  I, for one, have started watching the games on NFL replay, condensed.  Much less distressing, and with just about 1 hr kicked, you can’t feel too bad for wasting another Sunday.

Now to the positives and negatives:

First the few positives, and there weren’t many:

1) Yes, we have a good receiving corps, and good to see Wilson’s toughness.  We can move the ball for sure, but all that talent seems to me to be used haphazardly and without a coherent game plan.  More to that on the negatives.

2) I’ll give Conklin some credit for emerging with some solid catches.  Anyone else play TE on this team?  A couple of two tight end sets now and then might help.  While it didn’t work early week 1, the solution was not to abandon it outright.

3) Sauce had some good coverage plays, as did DJ Reed, our corners are good, they’d be even better if we had a consistent pass rush.

4) Run D has been pretty solid all season, apart from the arm tackling in the 4th quarter.  A little flash by JJ, but still mostly underwhelming for the rooks so far.

Now to the negatives:

1) Gameplan/coaching:  No balance on offense… letting the statue just gun it all day was a recipe for disaster.  Flacco’s an easy target, but he doesn’t call the plays.  There was no attempt to balance the attack.  And when we did run, we actually had some nice reps.  Made no sense.  There was no rhythm out there.  That falls on LaFleur, and I like the guy.  But he’s off to an ignominious start this year.

2) The offensive line: First Fant, then McDermott; they have been turnstiles this year.  And the interior line has been inconsistent, even though they are a supposed to be a strength of this team.  Another example of sloppy play.  If Fant is out (did he get hurt?), we are in serious trouble now.  

3) The vaunted d-line pass rush.  Has been virtually nonexistent on the edge.  Lawson clearly not yet 100% after the Achilles, the rookies are not flashing, and the result is that for most of the game when it mattered, Burrow had plenty of time.  We expected a much improved defense, and what we have gotten is mediocre.

4) The safeties:  Terrible all around.  Lamarcus Joyner gets a reprieve this week only because Whitehead bails him out with an even worse game.  Disappointing to say the least.  Why not play the younger guys?  The vets are not getting it done. 

5) Flacco:  You’ve been in the league for 15+ years, you can’t be fumbling like that.  The clock has to go off and you have to get rid of it.  

Bottom line: The sloppiness and lack of discipline continue.  THere are playmakers on both sides of the ball, but between the sloppy play and the coaching mismanagement, this team lacks rhythm and discipline.  This looks like a poorly coached team.  Two blow-outs at home to start the season.  Saleh’s seat has to get warmer if this doesn’t improve quickly.

I agree.

Pretty sure the safety issue is communication related.  That doesn't excuse the bad tackling or penalties, but I think they are consistently 3 yards out of position.  It could be partially the CBs fault as well on some of these plays, its difficult to judge without knowing the assignments.

The pass rush is a problem, and yea it's really coming from that wide spot not getting to the qb.  Its basically the most crucial piece of Saleh's defensive needs.  Without it, the defense doesn't really make sense.

OT is a complete disaster.  That Moses decision has been (imo) the most significant aspect of the lack of success we've had this year.  I think that situation is related to why we aren't running as much.

44 minutes ago, Phillyjet said:

Another week for a team that arguably should now be 0-3 and ranked near last, if not last, in the NFL power rankings.  Last week’s feel good story glossed over terrible mistakes and poor execution, particularly by the defense.  I, for one, have started watching the games on NFL replay, condensed.  Much less distressing, and with just about 1 hr kicked, you can’t feel too bad for wasting another Sunday.

Now to the positives and negatives:

First the few positives, and there weren’t many:

1) Yes, we have a good receiving corps, and good to see Wilson’s toughness.  We can move the ball for sure, but all that talent seems to me to be used haphazardly and without a coherent game plan.  More to that on the negatives.

2) I’ll give Conklin some credit for emerging with some solid catches.  Anyone else play TE on this team?  A couple of two tight end sets now and then might help.  While it didn’t work early week 1, the solution was not to abandon it outright.

3) Sauce had some good coverage plays, as did DJ Reed, our corners are good, they’d be even better if we had a consistent pass rush.

4) Run D has been pretty solid all season, apart from the arm tackling in the 4th quarter.  A little flash by JJ, but still mostly underwhelming for the rooks so far.

Now to the negatives:

1) Gameplan/coaching:  No balance on offense… letting the statue just gun it all day was a recipe for disaster.  Flacco’s an easy target, but he doesn’t call the plays.  There was no attempt to balance the attack.  And when we did run, we actually had some nice reps.  Made no sense.  There was no rhythm out there.  That falls on LaFleur, and I like the guy.  But he’s off to an ignominious start this year.

2) The offensive line: First Fant, then McDermott; they have been turnstiles this year.  And the interior line has been inconsistent, even though they are a supposed to be a strength of this team.  Another example of sloppy play.  If Fant is out (did he get hurt?), we are in serious trouble now.  

3) The vaunted d-line pass rush.  Has been virtually nonexistent on the edge.  Lawson clearly not yet 100% after the Achilles, the rookies are not flashing, and the result is that for most of the game when it mattered, Burrow had plenty of time.  We expected a much improved defense, and what we have gotten is mediocre.

4) The safeties:  Terrible all around.  Lamarcus Joyner gets a reprieve this week only because Whitehead bails him out with an even worse game.  Disappointing to say the least.  Why not play the younger guys?  The vets are not getting it done. 

5) Flacco:  You’ve been in the league for 15+ years, you can’t be fumbling like that.  The clock has to go off and you have to get rid of it.  

Bottom line: The sloppiness and lack of discipline continue.  THere are playmakers on both sides of the ball, but between the sloppy play and the coaching mismanagement, this team lacks rhythm and discipline.  This looks like a poorly coached team.  Two blow-outs at home to start the season.  Saleh’s seat has to get warmer if this doesn’t improve quickly.

wasn't Whitehead a top 5 safety just last season?

The big problem? Turnovers. The Jets committed 4 turnovers (2 INT and 2 FUM). The Jets only got 1 turnover in their favor. The Jets aren't gonna win a game if they really commit more than 2 turnovers in it, let alone 4. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SuicidalSince98 said:

We have 1 good receiver 

A bunch of players on this offense are super overrated, the rookie pops off the screen the most and they don’t use him as much as Davis/Moore, go figure LaFleur and Saleh know it all I guess 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

offence was a clown car without Garrett 

• Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1

Just now, k-met57 said:

at least we didn't pay fant stupid $ coming off last seasons performance. he's clearly regressed back to his career levels.

How can you really blame him when he was moved all around the line like a cheap whore 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

26 minutes ago, Hex said:

The big problem? Turnovers. The Jets committed 4 turnovers (2 INT and 2 FUM). The Jets only got 1 turnover in their favor. The Jets aren't gonna win a game if they really commit more than 2 turnovers in it, let alone 4. 

Good point, but the turnovers are the tip of the iceberg:

1) Flacco throwing 50 times behind a dreadful o-line

2) No outside pass rush, limiting the big plays on Defense; communication breakdowns as well. 

All traces back to discipline and execution.  This team has been so poorly coached thus far this year.  Not surprised Q went off on his coach today.  I was on the fence on Saleh heading into this season, but thus far, I am unimpressed.  Look at what McDaniels is doing in Miami?  You think that’s just because of Tyreek?  Or Daboll in NY.  They are going to lose a lot of games this year, playing well.  They may even surprise by winning more than they lose.  Can you really say you have confidence in Saleh right now to right the ship?

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Phillyjet said:

Good point, but the turnovers are the tip of the iceberg:

1) Flacco throwing 50 times behind a dreadful o-line

2) No outside pass rush, limiting the big plays on Defense; communication breakdowns as well. 

All traces back to discipline and execution.  This team has been so poorly coached thus far this year.  Not surprised Q went off on his coach today.  I was on the fence on Saleh heading into this season, but thus far, I am unimpressed.  Look at what McDaniels is doing in Miami?  You think that’s just because of Tyreek?  Or Daboll in NY.  They are going to lose a lot of games this year, playing well.  They may even surprise by winning more than they lose.  Can you really say you have confidence in Saleh right now to right the ship?

Agreed. I currently have almost no confidence in the coaching staff. I keep hearing people say LaFleur is good, but having Flacco throw most of the time is a bad decision. Saleh is a wuss, and Ulbrich should be working at Walmart or something

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, thebuzzardman said:

The offensive line sucks. The defensive line sucks. Same problems the Jets have had for like 10 years. Yay. I though JD was building this team from the lines on out.  Apparently not. 

They call it the grift.  We've been fed the same bullsh!t for decades.  A new "savior" leading us suckers every few seasons.  How there is one fan paying to watch this team is beyond me...a life-long Jet idiot.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

How can you really blame him when he was moved all around the line like a cheap whore 

if you are a good player, you have to figure out a way to not suck. in these 3 games...he's been the weak spot on the line at least 2.

• Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

wonder how much he is benefiting from Saleh system

Nobody is benefiting from Saleh system, because it’s basically prevent defense if you don’t have a real pass rush and/or 49ers star players.

Plus, our coaching staff is clownish.

Just now, Integrity28 said:

Nobody is benefiting from Saleh system, because it’s basically prevent defense if you don’t have a real pass rush and/or 49ers star players.

Ulbrich is the Emmett Kelly of HCs without Kelly's skill and talent.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

What happened here? Why did Q snap?

These coaches man 🤦‍♂️

22 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

They call it the grift.  We've been fed the same bullsh!t for decades.  A new "savior" leading us suckers every few seasons.  How there is one fan paying to watch this team is beyond me...a life-long Jet idiot.

Same here. And I'm a Knick fan. I guess that explains why I like hooking up jumper cables and alligator clips to my nuts. 

• Haha 1

No more coaching staffs that learn on the job......just like the mets did getting a true coach in buck showalter, the jets need to do the same and get a coach who has won in the league before...his name is sean payton......look what doug pederson is doing for the jaguars, payton will get the most of the talent we have on offense

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

56 minutes ago, thebuzzardman said:

The offensive line sucks. The defensive line sucks. Same problems the Jets have had for like 10 years. Yay. I though JD was building this team from the lines on out.  Apparently not. 

Oh my god it's horrifying when you think about it.

Maybe, what, a decade of drafting d-lineman every other year and followed by 'righting-the-ship' and investing heavily in offensive line under responsible management, and both groups still suck?

image.png.9ea38e8b3cd814f3cd206b81c517fcc4.png

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, oatmeal said:

What happened here? Why did Q snap?

These coaches man 🤦‍♂️

Q Was pissed off because he didn't want the Jets to sell out and blitz on the TD pass.

Whitecotton may have explained that the Jets DL is grossly overrated and they need to blitz 16 guys just to get a pressure.

• Sympathy 1

8 hours ago, Jets4Life1979 said:

No more coaching staffs that learn on the job......just like the mets did getting a true coach in buck showalter, the jets need to do the same and get a coach who has won in the league before...his name is sean payton......look what doug pederson is doing for the jaguars, payton will get the most of the talent we have on offense

I agree.  This shouldn’t be an entry level position anymore.  Yes I know Gase wasn’t a first time head coach but we knew that was going to be a disaster.  I think the only way to get Payton besides money would be giving him total control.  Despite what some say there is talent on this team.  If you want to say ZW is a question mark that’s totally fair.  But if ZW does pretty well and we still lose it just confirms that the coaching is atrocious.