Fair assessment of game

Phillyjet

12 hours ago, Phillyjet said:

Another week for a team that arguably should now be 0-3 and ranked near last, if not last, in the NFL power rankings.  Last week’s feel good story glossed over terrible mistakes and poor execution, particularly by the defense.  I, for one, have started watching the games on NFL replay, condensed.  Much less distressing, and with just about 1 hr kicked, you can’t feel too bad for wasting another Sunday.

Now to the positives and negatives:

First the few positives, and there weren’t many:

1) Yes, we have a good receiving corps, and good to see Wilson’s toughness.  We can move the ball for sure, but all that talent seems to me to be used haphazardly and without a coherent game plan.  More to that on the negatives.

2) I’ll give Conklin some credit for emerging with some solid catches.  Anyone else play TE on this team?  A couple of two tight end sets now and then might help.  While it didn’t work early week 1, the solution was not to abandon it outright.

3) Sauce had some good coverage plays, as did DJ Reed, our corners are good, they’d be even better if we had a consistent pass rush.

4) Run D has been pretty solid all season, apart from the arm tackling in the 4th quarter.  A little flash by JJ, but still mostly underwhelming for the rooks so far.

Now to the negatives:

1) Gameplan/coaching:  No balance on offense… letting the statue just gun it all day was a recipe for disaster.  Flacco’s an easy target, but he doesn’t call the plays.  There was no attempt to balance the attack.  And when we did run, we actually had some nice reps.  Made no sense.  There was no rhythm out there.  That falls on LaFleur, and I like the guy.  But he’s off to an ignominious start this year.

2) The offensive line: First Fant, then McDermott; they have been turnstiles this year.  And the interior line has been inconsistent, even though they are a supposed to be a strength of this team.  Another example of sloppy play.  If Fant is out (did he get hurt?), we are in serious trouble now.  

3) The vaunted d-line pass rush.  Has been virtually nonexistent on the edge.  Lawson clearly not yet 100% after the Achilles, the rookies are not flashing, and the result is that for most of the game when it mattered, Burrow had plenty of time.  We expected a much improved defense, and what we have gotten is mediocre.

4) The safeties:  Terrible all around.  Lamarcus Joyner gets a reprieve this week only because Whitehead bails him out with an even worse game.  Disappointing to say the least.  Why not play the younger guys?  The vets are not getting it done. 

5) Flacco:  You’ve been in the league for 15+ years, you can’t be fumbling like that.  The clock has to go off and you have to get rid of it.  

Bottom line: The sloppiness and lack of discipline continue.  THere are playmakers on both sides of the ball, but between the sloppy play and the coaching mismanagement, this team lacks rhythm and discipline.  This looks like a poorly coached team.  Two blow-outs at home to start the season.  Saleh’s seat has to get warmer if this doesn’t improve quickly.

The rookies and the younger players on this team have been fine, the frustrating part about this season is all the egregious mistakes that have been back breaking are from the veterans on this team. 

Flacco - 3 fumbles and 2 picks a lifeless performance where guys were wide open all over the field, apparently he cant see Braxton Berrios who legit, was just running around free when they let him run routes.  He has no feel for anything and he's just a miserable bum to watch play Football. 

JFM - absolutely moronic and unnecessary roughing penalty, oh and about JFM, lets call a spade a spade, he's ******* terrible.  He is the most worthless Football player I've ever watched.  He gets pushed around more than anyone on this team and he cant make a play to save his life.  He could have a dude standing under his feet, still cant tackle him.  What a terrible ******* waste of money.  Go ahead PFF, tell me how he really was great yesterday failing to record a single stat for 2 games in a row.  He's ******* worthless and should not give up another down to JJ or Clemons for the rest of the season.  

Fant - just GFY.  You're terrible.  You wanted starting LT money?  lmfao

Whitehead/Joyner - twiddle dee and twiddle dumb.  Just pure liabilities who suck out loud. 

Carl Lawson - doing his best Trumaine Johnson impression.  Go away.  You had the audacity to tell Sauce he's not allowed to have that nickname?  In 3 games, he's 100x better than you, you ******* thief. 

And then, the coaching. FIRE THEM ALL.   Nothing they're doing makes any sense.  None of it.  The scheme was built to stop the pass, I havent looked but if I had to guess, the Jets have to be one the easiest teams to pass on in the NFL.  Seems like the comp percentage is way high and I have to imagine were close to the bottom in passing TD's.  The rotation, I really didnt think they were serious based on how things played out in San Fran under Saleh but they're serious and they're doing it and it's terrible, nobody is fresh, it isnt working, you're taking talent of the field for worthless players for the sake of what?  You're getting blown out every game.  Q.Will is by far the best player on this team, he needs to play 70+% of the snaps.  Eat sh*t Saleh and Ulbrich, you're frauds.

Lil Mikey, I want to like this dude, I think he's got some talent and is probably the best coach on the team, but unfortunately, that aint saying sh*t with what he's surrounded by.  Bottom line, 155 pass attempts. vs 50 runs in 3 weeks with the corpse of Joe Flacco at QB is unacceptable and dont give me the playing from behind bull sh*t excuse @Barry McCockinner  At no point until late in the 4th were the Jets in a position where they needed to abandon the run.  It was a 2 score game, you can still be balanced.  Asking the worst QB in the NFL to throw 50 times a game is utter stupidity that I cant even understand how anyone's brain could be so dumb.  You traded up, significantly for Hall, you have an insanely talented 2 headed monster and a 37 year old QB w/ a line who cant pass protect and is better suited to run block and Hall had 8 carries on the day?  GFY Lil Mikey!  GFY!!!!

In the end, I blame JD for all of this and the banner needs to fly!!!  Time to clean house and hit reset.  This is a disaster.  This is his mess and he needs to be sh*t canned first.  I'm not impressed that "he added talent", when you're the worst roster in the NFL, "adding talent" that gets blown out week after week, is not impressive. 

200.gif

• Upvote 2

For those who say Flacco threw too much, other teams are loading the box and daring Flacco to throw 

Put it another way breece hall does not need more hand offs when he's getting 10 targets as a check down 

The defense, the line, the coach all could be better but the worst problem with this team is qb. Flacco should be retired and Zach is a fraud. 

Zach Wilson got the largest signing bonus in franchise history, 24 million dollars and we're here talking about the defensive line. It's classic denial 

• Post of the Week 1

21 minutes ago, bitonti said:

For those who say Flacco threw too much, other teams are loading the box and daring Flacco to throw 

Put it another way breece hall does not need more hand offs when he's getting 10 targets as a check down 

The defense, the line, the coach all could be better but the worst problem with this team is qb. Flacco should be retired and Zach is a fraud. 

Zach Wilson got the largest signing bonus in franchise history, 24 million dollars and we're here talking about the defensive line. It's classic denial 

We have to wait until Zach's docs and the Jets docs agree he's 110%.

Jameis Winston is playing with cracked vertabrae (not an orthopedist, but sounds completely insane, but I digress).

Justin Herbert is playing with broken ribs. 

Ben Rothlisberger once played half a season with a torn meniscus.

A bone bruise; right!

Job of a QB is to show up. And Wilson is not showing up. Not about tough guy, playing through injuries bravado; it's the job. If he isn't doing it now, no reason to think he'll ever do it. 

DL is a mess though.

• Upvote 1

I didn't think it was that bad.  The QB mismatch was ridiculous.   I do agree having Flacco drop back so many times was crazy.  Fant is probably hurt and can't move.  I don't believe he sucks as bad as he looks if he's 110 percent.  

If Zach is the real deal we should be much better.  

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, thebuzzardman said:

The offensive line sucks. The defensive line sucks. Same problems the Jets have had for like 10 years. Yay. I though JD was building this team from the lines on out.  Apparently not. 

Exactly. What is most annoying is the amount of draft capital and FA additions the team has spent and this OL is about as bad as it has ever been. The flipping Fant back and forth argument is a weak one. He started camp at LT. When Brown was finally cleared to practice he went to RT but how long was it before Brown went on IR, a week? He went right back to LT and it has been about a solid 4 weeks practicing there. He sucks. I hope he was benched yesterday because that would mean Saleh is actually  noticing in game how bad he is playing during the game. I  mean he looks so slow getting into his block. And now if he is hurt we have McDermott? We may actually be hoping for Fant. 

When JD came here, he said job 1 was to fix the OL. IMO we have driven a clown car here to fix it starting with Kahil. The OL is still in the bottom third. We are seeing why Fant has always been a backup. That is all he is. I am ready for the next draft to spend the first 3 picks on OTs. The way this team looks, we will be picking in the top 3 again. I have no confidence  that ZW can play behind this line as constructed. The problem is, JD sucks at picking OT. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, More Cowbell said:

Exactly. What is most annoying is the amount of draft capital and FA additions the team has spent and this OL is about as bad as it has ever been. The flipping Fant back and forth argument is a weak one. He started camp at LT. When Brown was finally cleared to practice he went to RT but how long was it before Brown went on IR, a week? He went right back to LT and it has been about a solid 4 weeks practicing there. He sucks. I hope he was benched yesterday because that would mean Saleh is actually  noticing in game how bad he is playing during the game. I  mean he looks so slow getting into his block. And now if he is hurt we have McDermott? We may actually be hoping for Fant. 

When JD came here, he said job 1 was to fix the OL. IMO we have driven a clown car here to fix it starting with Kahil. The OL is still in the bottom third. We are seeing why Fant has always been a backup. That is all he is. I am ready for the next draft to spend the first 3 picks on OTs. The way this team looks, we will be picking in the top 3 again. I have no confidence  that ZW can play behind this line as constructed. The problem is, JD sucks at picking OT. 

Fant is playing hurt.  He probably should have been shut down but he's not a typical Jet player that needs to be 110 percent.

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, bitonti said:

I'm not feeling great about him either but shouldn't we at least let ZW get on the field this season?  

48 minutes ago, bitonti said:

When Curtis Martin was getting the ball 30 times a game we faced loaded boxes.  We matched up on the loaded boxes and ran the ball.   Sometimes an OL needs to inflict a little punishment on the DL rather than taking it in pass protection all day long.   When you face a QB like Joe Borrow you might want to take the air out of the ball and limit the oppositions offensive plays.  

4 minutes ago, Biggs said:

When Curtis Martin was getting the ball 30 times a game we faced loaded boxes.  We matched up on the loaded boxes and ran the ball.   Sometimes an OL needs to inflict a little punishment on the DL rather than taking it in pass protection all day long.   When you face a QB like Joe Borrow you might want to take the air out of the ball and limit the oppositions offensive plays.  

And in playoff games, against superior defenses(Denver, Pitt) Martin was pretty much worthless and the Jets got eliminated  when they couldn't throw the ball effectively. Since his career ended the trend toward more passing under the rules as now enforced has only accelerated. Yes, would be nice to run the ball, but if you cannot have a QB pass effectively, you are gonna lose most of the time. If you really think the Jets' biggest problem is failing to establish the run, you are not paying attention; it's not 1975. 

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Phillyjet said:

Good point, but the turnovers are the tip of the iceberg:

1) Flacco throwing 50 times behind a dreadful o-line

2) No outside pass rush, limiting the big plays on Defense; communication breakdowns as well. 

All traces back to discipline and execution.  This team has been so poorly coached thus far this year.  Not surprised Q went off on his coach today.  I was on the fence on Saleh heading into this season, but thus far, I am unimpressed.  Look at what McDaniels is doing in Miami?  You think that’s just because of Tyreek?  Or Daboll in NY.  They are going to lose a lot of games this year, playing well.  They may even surprise by winning more than they lose.  Can you really say you have confidence in Saleh right now to right the ship?

Simply put, No.

1 minute ago, Bugg said:

And in playoff games, against superior defenses(Denver, Pitt) Martin was pretty much worthless and the Jets got eliminated  when they couldn't throw the ball effectively. Since his career ended the trend toward more passing under the rules as now enforced has only accelerated. Yes, would be nice to run the ball, but if you cannot have a QB pass effectively, you are gonna lose most of the time. If you really think the Jets' biggest problem is failing to establish the run, you are not paying attention; it's not 1975. 

Not arguing that point.  We had a 37 year old washed up Joe Flacco going head to head with Joe Burrow.  We have an OL that is getting their asses handed to them in pass protection.   We weren't playing a playoff game.  It was game 3 against a team that presented a complete mismatch at the QB position.  You know the guy who actually triggers the passing game.

The two biggest problems on the Jets right now is the OL isn't very good in pass protection and we have a washed up statue at QB.  Teams in this NFL win games by running the football down peoples throats despite the rules favoring the passing game.  It's not a formula for winning the SB.   In order to get to the SB you have to win ugly games when your starting QB isn't playing.  If Zach isn't the real deal we may have to win a lot of games by taking the air out of the ball.  

FYI the Browns are 2 and 1 and should be 3 and O.  They have a second rate QB and are running the ball down teams throats.   They currently have the 25th ranked passing attack and the No. 1 rushing attack.  They are killing teams who are loading the box by matching up and running the ball down their throats.  

There has been an adjustment to faster lighter players in the back 7 of NFL defenses.  Teams are running the ball to adjust.  You need a very good QB to win playoff games.  You can win a lot of games running the ball down teams throats.  The Jets hired Saleh who hired Lafleur to run the Shanahan system.  The system is all about zone blocking and running the football.  

7 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Not arguing that point.  We had a 37 year old washed up Joe Flacco going head to head with Joe Burrow.  We have an OL that is getting their asses handed to them in pass protection.   We weren't playing a playoff game.  It was game 3 against a team that presented a complete mismatch at the QB position.  You know the guy who actually triggers the passing game.

The two biggest problems on the Jets right now is the OL isn't very good in pass protection and we have a washed up statue at QB.  Teams in this NFL win games by running the football down peoples throats despite the rules favoring the passing game.  It's not a formula for winning the SB.   In order to get to the SB you have to win ugly games when your starting QB isn't playing.  If Zach isn't the real deal we may have to win a lot of games by taking the air out of the ball.  

FYI the Browns are 2 and 1 and should be 3 and O.  They have a second rate QB and are running the ball down teams throats.   They currently have the 25th ranked passing attack and the No. 1 rushing attack.  They are killing teams who are loading the box by matching up and running the ball down their throats.  

There has been an adjustment to faster lighter players in the back 7 of NFL defenses.  Teams are running the ball to adjust.  You need a very good QB to win playoff games.  You can win a lot of games running the ball down teams throats.  The Jets hired Saleh who hired Lafleur to run the Shanahan system.  The system is all about zone blocking and running the football.  

You think the Browns are winning anything? Would wager by the time we get to the conference championships, at least 3 if not all 4 of the finalists will have superior QBs. Last year all 4-Brady, Stafford, Mahomes and Allen. Jets have nothing close to that. Grant you there are days you need to run it down people's throats when things go awry. But when push comes to shove, you gotta have great QB play. Everything else is 2nd place. That's what Wilson was drafted to be. Looks like Lawrence is on the cusp of being one of those guys. Problem here is so far Wilson gives every indication of not being one of those guys. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Bugg said:

You think the Browns are winning anything? Would wager by the time we get to the conference championships, at least 3 if not all 4 of the finalists will have superior QBs. Last year all 4-Brady, Stafford, Mahomes and Allen. Jets have nothing close to that. Grant you there are days you need to run it down people's throats when things go awry. But when push comes to shove, you gotta have great QB play. Everything else is 2nd place. That's what Wilson was drafted to be. Looks like Lawrence is on the cusp of being one of those guys. Problem here is so far Wilson gives every indication of not being one of those guys. 

We don't have it so why would you try to win with something you don't have.  You go to war with what you have not what you want.   We aren't forfeiting games.  

3 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Holy sh*t.  lmfao  I knew it was bad but that's ******* pathetic.  Straight up pitch and catch type level of easy.  I get it last year, but this year?  Completely unacceptable with the investment they made in the secondary.  The entire concept of cover 3 press and bail is to stop the pass while being susceptible to the run and to sit here and point at communication issues, year 2 in a system that is now veteran led?  Whoa.  

1 minute ago, dbatesman said:

It’s mind-boggling. Basically, if a QB got to play the Jets every week, that QB would be the league MVP.

Every week, there are defensive breakdowns all over the field.  They just showed highlights from yesterday's game.  The blown blitz for a TD and Chase wide open in the endzone for another are completely crazy.  

There isn't (and hasn't been) a NFL quarterback who could succeed behind this line. And the OC isn't helping any with his terrible playcalling. I don't blame them for the devastating injuries on the OL, but I do blame them for not having quality backups. And did Elijah Moore go into the witness protection program?

Here's an idea...  if someone makes a bonehead play (like incredibly stupid personal fouls) SIT HIS ASS ON THE BENCH. If the safeties can't do the job, GET SOMEONE ELSE. I am trying to be patient, but if there are continuous communication problems, then get someone who can communicate or simplify the system.

Quite frankly, I have little confidence in either of the coordinators, and that reflects badly on Saleh, who I do like. He'll be here next year, but not longer than that if things don't turn around soon.

48 minutes ago, Bugg said:

There are 100 roads to a championship, 95 start with a great QB.

Sure it’s possible to win with a super team helmed by a game-manager type but it’s actually harder — and takes more skill from a team-building perspective — than finding a FQB, and the Jets can’t even do that…

• Upvote 2

Just now, SickJetFan said:

true , but bad owner, poor drafting over the years (only now getting better), and questionable coaching (not playing younger players)

Too many cooks in the kitchen for the Knicks as well and too many people in Dolans ear. It feels the same with the Jets and the Johnson’s.

• Upvote 1