Not taking a Tackle early is killing us.

Neilos

On 9/27/2022 at 12:24 PM, derp said:

Was thinking about this.

That folks still think the Jets should've taken a tackle at 4 is indicative of the belief at the time that there was a blind belief that a tackle drafted at 4 would've improved the tackle situation this year.

Some of us largely pushed back on that idea because there was uncertainty that a tackle drafted in the at 4 would've actually improved the tackle situation this year.

And now the tackles drafted early are struggling. Even if one was playing well, how did the Jets ensure they took the right guy? But none of them are playing better than Mitchell or fifth round pick Braxton Jones right now.

The big issue with the offensive line has been the approach where depth consists of replacement level veterans instead of developmental young guys with upside.

This is what I’m saying he tackles in this draft blew and we got one of the top ones at a later pick

win

17 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

It may seem so in a vacuum, but it becomes less likely they take Mitchell in the 4th if they go OL in the 2nd or 3rd.

Not just because of doubling up at the position, though that's a legitimate reason. Rather also because taking one more OT off the board on day 2 might have meant Mitchell should've then moved up the board of next-best available tackles, and therefore very possibly may have been drafted by someone else ahead of the 4th round pick used to draft him.

It's easy to plan in hindsight with the premise that there is no butterfly effect if we'd instead taken different players & positions. I've made mistakes over the years; had I not made the exact mistakes I did, at the times I did, my offspring wouldn't have been born; or maybe I'd have been hit by a bus 5 years ago because I was in a different place due to an alternate timeline.

Philosophical feelgoodism aside, take the good things as they happen. Wirfs/Becton is a better hindsight shoulda-woulda because they're both tackles & both expected to be drafted at around the same spot (also because anything that'd have then shaken up the rest of that Jets draft would be a plus by definition); the shoulda-woulda here would be a different edge rusher instead of JJII. Or just leave it be and maybe he'll be good but just not stellar in his first rookie games while the team plan is to rotate everyone on/off so frequently that none of them get into a zone. Too early to tell.

Sure it's easy in hindsight, but that's what JD gets paid for. He made the moves he did in the 2022 draft and they have ben good picks. So he has proven he's intelligent enough to be able to map out players he wants to go after. I'm just saying if he wants to put together an OL that can stick together for at least 5 years , then he has to have that same intelligence to pick those type of players. next year. This team only goes as far as it goes with a superior OL and DL, Football starts and ends there. Only my opinion

5 hours ago, 68JET11 said:

Sure it's easy in hindsight, but that's what JD gets paid for. He made the moves he did in the 2022 draft and they have ben good picks. So he has proven he's intelligent enough to be able to map out players he wants to go after. I'm just saying if he wants to put together an OL that can stick together for at least 5 years , then he has to have that same intelligence to pick those type of players. next year. This team only goes as far as it goes with a superior OL and DL, Football starts and ends there. Only my opinion

It's just an unrealistic amount of hindsight, is what I mean. Plus this hindsight also makes the assumption that, after we take a tackle off the board, that another tackle-needy team wouldn't have then taken Mitchell ahead of where we took him.

I'm just content with the GM finding a tackle worthy of instant-starting in round 4 instead of complaining that we didn't add 2 instant-starting rookie tackles (without burning a top 4 draft pick).

• Sympathy 1