***OFFICIAL*** FIRE JEFF ULBRICH THREAD

RoadFan

I'm pretty sure the offense was the problem today. Couldn't stay on the field. Couldn't get into the endzone. Couldn't throw downfield. Turned the ball over. The defense was fine. The Bengals have plenty of playmakers. We beat them in a shootout last year. This game was an offensive dud.

What is the theory as to why Q was yelling ?
This is what I want to know. I was waiting for someone to bring it up or address it. You never see Q mad and he was LIVID. In fact I wish he played with that kind of anger but I digress.

Sent from the NY Jets /Zack Wilson Suicide Watch desk.

24 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

This is what I want to know. I was waiting for someone to bring it up or address it. You never see Q mad and he was LIVID. In fact I wish he played with that kind of anger but I digress.

Sent from the NY Jets /Zack Wilson Suicide Watch desk.

Jets’ Quinnen Williams explains sideline screaming match with assistant coach during loss to Bengals

By 

Andy Vasquez | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

The Jets’ defense was a disaster in the first quarter Sunday, making mental mistakes and digging a hole from which they would never extricate themselves against the Bengals. But things somehow got worse on the sideline before the start of the second quarter, as defensive tackle Quinnen Williams and defensive line coach Aaron Whitecotton got into a shouting match and had to be separated by players.

The whole interaction was caught on CBS cameras, all part of the Jets’ nightmarish27-12 loss to the Bengals at MetLife Stadium.

Williams explained away the moment saying it looked worse on television than what actually happened. He said he was challenging Whitecotton and the Jets coaching staff to put the burden on the defensive line to beat the Bengals with a four-man rush.

“It wasn’t really an argument like it seemed,” Williams said. “Just a loud conversation.”

But it wasn’t a good look for the Jets, who made mistake after mistake on the way to another frustrating and demoralizing loss.

“Quinnen’s a competitor,” Jets coach Robert Saleh said. “I love the fire … obviously, we don’t need them to go jawing at each other, but he’s being competitive, so it was fine.”

CBS footage showed the conversation between Williams and Whitecotton escalating as Williams stood up from the bench and began shouting at his defensive line coach, who stood up and returned loud words himself before the two were separated.

Saleh said it happened after the Jets gave up a 56-yard touchdown from Joe Burrow to Tyler Boyd on the final play of the first quarter. The Jets sent a blitzer on that play and got burned. And Williams wanted to send a message to the coaching staff that they needed to trust the defensive line.

“He was challenging us as coaches to give him his four-man rush so he could go win his one-on-one,” Saleh said of Williams. “And deservedly, he’s not wrong. He challenged us, and he’s fine.”

Williams said that he and Whitecotton immediately resolved their issues in another conversation on the sideline, and Williams has no issue with his defensive line coach moving forward.

“In the game, man, you just get heated,” Williams said. “I love my coach, man. My coach love[s] me … We talked right after that, got on the right page and heard each other

out. There’s no love lost. He’s one of the best D-Line coaches I ever had.”

And Williams also explained what was going through his mind as the incident unfolded.

“We’re all competitors out there,” Williams said. “We got dogs in our room, bro. And everybody on the staff knows it. Everybody in the organization knows it. I just trust my D-Line so much that – put it on our back to win this game, man. That came out of me to just challenge my D-Line coach and be like: ‘Put it on our back, coach. You know what we got in this room. Four-man rush! We don’t need all this blitzing and stuff. Let’s put it on our back.”

The Jets’ defensive line is supposed to be the strength of this team, but they struggled to generate a pass rush in the first two games leading to Saleh and several defensive linemen admitting that the group had to do a better job of getting to the quarterback.

But Burrow, who was sacked 13 times in the first two games, had plenty of time to throw early and picked the Jets apart.

Burrow finished the first quarter completing 11-of-15 passes for 169 yards and two touchdowns. After Williams challenged Whitecotton the Jets’ defense was much better, holding Burrow to 12-of-21 passing for 106 yards and a touchdown with two sacks.

“I feel like once they got settled and we started four-man rushing the whole defense got settled,” Williams said. “We were hitting the quarterback, getting to him, getting sacks.”

Williams said he wasn’t trying to question or change the game plan. He just wanted to let them know that the defensive line was up to the task. According to NFL NFL NextGen Stats, the Jets rushed five or more players just five times in the final three quarters after blitzing heavily in the first quarter.

“This team and defense is going to go as the D-Line go[es],” Williams said. “So we have to step up and put the whole defense, the whole team on our back and execute to the best of our ability. That’s just how I am because I’m in the room every single day and I watch those guys work every single day. I feel like those guys feel the same way and don’t try to shy away from that challenge.”

But by then, with Joe Flacco and the offense struggling, the damage had been done. The Jets had their chances to get back in the game in the third and fourth quarter, but never actually threatened the Bengals.

And when Williams was asked about the defense’s struggles in the first quarter – the Bengals converted on all four of their third-down opportunities with Burrow going 4-of-4 for 109 yards and two touchdowns on those four plays when the defense couldn’t get off the field – the No. 3 overall pick didn’t go into detail about what went wrong.

“It’s all about executing,” Williams said.

Thank you for relying on us to provide the journalism you can trust. Please consider supporting us with a subscription.

Andy Vasquez may be reached at avasquez@njadvancemedia.com.

• Upvote 1

While I am unhappy with the way the D is playing, remember 2 things we are still missing key players on D - LBs, and Safties that can cover. Also, everyone was saying the same thing about LaFleur early last season. We are going to have to wait until at least week 6 until we know what this D is going to be this year. And, without Saleh going anywhere this season, I doubt there will be any shake ups either.

54 minutes ago, sirlancemehlot said:

I'm pretty sure the offense was the problem today. Couldn't stay on the field. Couldn't get into the endzone. Couldn't throw downfield. Turned the ball over. The defense was fine. The Bengals have plenty of playmakers. We beat them in a shootout last year. This game was an offensive dud.

weren't we down 2 scores before the coin toss was finished?

Quinnen Williams actually showed some talent AFTER getting heated with his Dline coach. Otherwise? Invisible.

Guy is a slouch ballplayer. Still a solid player but never in the backfield within 2 secs. Good 2nd rd or 3rd rd pick kinda guy.

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, Barton said:

Quinnen Williams actually showed some talent AFTER getting heated with his Dline coach. Otherwise? Invisible.

Guy is a slouch ballplayer. Still a solid player but never in the backfield within 2 secs. Good 2nd rd or 3rd rd pick kinda guy.

Looking at the dline effort of the 49ers tonight it is repulsive how undisruptive our guys are.

I still think they over rotate, keep guys fresh?  Sure but the best guys need to play most of the game, these guys are in shape. 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

While I am unhappy with the way the D is playing, remember 2 things we are still missing key players on D - LBs, and Safties that can cover. Also, everyone was saying the same thing about LaFleur early last season. We are going to have to wait until at least week 6 until we know what this D is going to be this year. And, without Saleh going anywhere this season, I doubt there will be any shake ups either.

Fair. I'm willing to give them a few more weeks but hear this. This defense has talent, I don't want to hear about the excuses of last year when there really was no talent. Rex worked miracles with 1 shutdown CB and no dominant player on the dline. Saleh seemingly has 2 shutdown corners and at least 2 or 3 good pass rushing options. Figure it out already, we shouldn't be giving up 30ppg.

• Upvote 1

I am really glad this thread has been started. I think Ulbrich is possibly the worst DC this team ever had and that is saying something. When I think of him talking about his stupid DL rotation where nobody plays more than 35% of the snaps, it infuriates me. Not because I think it is a dumb idea, but basically it is not doing anything positive. There is virtually  no push from the DL and we barely blitz and when we do, the blitz doesn't  get there. On top of it when these players do get to the QB, they let him roll away and throw a completion. I personally can't  stand this D. JD went out and got players, drafted JJ, 2 new S's, 2 new CB's and they still suck. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, More Cowbell said:

I am really glad this thread has been started. I think Ulbrich is possibly the worst DC this team ever had and that is saying something. When I think of him talking about his stupid DL rotation where nobody plays more than 35% of the snaps, it infuriates me. Not because I think it is a dumb idea, but basically it is not doing anything positive. There is virtually  no push from the DL and we barely blitz and when we do, the blitz doesn't  get there. On top of it when these players do get to the QB, they let him roll away and throw a completion. I personally can't  stand this D. JD went out and got players, drafted JJ, 2 new S's, 2 new CB's and they still suck. 

Mike Nolan in 2000

Donny Henderson 2005

Bob Sutton 2006-2008

Dennis Thurman 2014

Kacy Rodgers 2016-2018 (decent in ‘15)

13 hours ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Sucks for Saleh because he prob won’t fire Ulbrich. Prob thinks they just need time! Just need to adjust! Blablabla. And that will be his downfall. Sticking with what’s not working and it just all goes in the toilet. 

Last year at some point around the middle of the season Ulbrich was asked about making defensive adjustments. His answer was shockingly, that he would make adjustments in the offseason. I am not joking.

This year, the defense looked good in the first half of the first game. Since then teams have basically been running their offense against air when facing the Jets. 

My point is just this. What if the adjustments Ulbrich waited until the offseason to make have been solved in one half and he's now planning on waiting for next offseason to make adjustments? I know this all sounds incredibly stupid, but so did the answer of waiting for the offseason to make defensive adjustments last year.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Shelbyblue said:

Ulbrich was bad last year, his units are always mis communicating and out of position. Saleh has to make changes when good coaches become available. Vic Fangio should have been given whatever he wanted to get this defense playing .

Saleh needs to go, why keep giving losing  regimes chance after chance? 

18 hours ago, Sammybighead said:

Fair. I'm willing to give them a few more weeks but hear this. This defense has talent, I don't want to hear about the excuses of last year when there really was no talent. Rex worked miracles with 1 shutdown CB and no dominant player on the dline. Saleh seemingly has 2 shutdown corners and at least 2 or 3 good pass rushing options. Figure it out already, we shouldn't be giving up 30ppg.

Valid points, but Rex had a different D scheme and brought over a LB and S to run it. So there was veteran leadership, including the signal caller that knew the D; Again, not saying Saleh is going to be a good/great HC, but we need to give him time. Hopefully he turns it around and grows as a HC, but he likely isn't gone mid-season, so we are stuck with him this year.

Hopefully you are wrong. Hopefully. Not saying you are, but only time will tell.

And, Rex's teams were embarrassed all of the time; Pats put up 45 points on him. This can happen, especially when the offense only puts up 3 points and has too many 3 and outs.

So, lets hope for a vast improvement on both sides of the ball.

The scheme is just bad.

Does not take advantage of your best players.

Does not put any offense under duress.

Very very easy to play against and so predictable easy to game plan against.

I'll say one thing if I am joe douglas i flat out tell Saleh we are not drafting any dlineman  or edge rusher until after the 4th round.  No use, why draft guys high if they play 40% of the snaps and the system does not put them in positions to make a difference?

• Upvote 2