Jets Could be Down to Fourth Left Tackle as Zach Wilson Prepares to Return

JetNation

10 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Every one of the people you would decry as "Zach Haters" has said this or something equivalent, most of them several times over.

For example: 

I evaluate Zach to have played very poorly so far, as in he was completely unready to play at the NFL in my opinion and it showed in his league-worst level of play last year.  His injury-prone nature also concerns me.

I predict that Zach will not become a FQB, or even an adequate game-manager QB in his time here, I do not agree he has "elite traits" beyond arm strength, and it takes a hell of alot more that "traits" or "potential" to be a great NFL QB.  I predict his lack of accuracy, his poor decision making, his size and body strength and his fragility will continue to be a problem for him. 

I hope/root for Zach to prove everything I just wrote wrong, in spectacular fashion, so that "Zach Wilson" will live forever right next to "Patrick Ramsey" as the most wrong I have even been in 30 years of online NFL football discourse.  I hope he becomes a 5,000 yard, 40 TD a year stud, and that jokes are made at my expense for the next 15 years of Jets winning seasons for how deeply wrong my evaluation of Zach was.

Because winning > everything*, and it certainly comes before my e-pride over posts at JN.

*exceptions include violence towards women, killing innocent people, dogfighting, and hurting kittens, who the **** does that?

Because you don't understand the concept of hatred, so you misapply the word where it is completely inappropriate to do so.

I don't think most people disagree with others taking that position.

It's that it takes over every thread and is relentless.

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

13 minutes ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

Calling the end of last season progress is strange. He didnt play well. He played scared and in a shell, terrified of throwing an INT. It was as bad as the early part of the season, just for different reasons.

That is the way the dug in are going to see it.

This will happen - I can assure you.  Zach will play well - and instead of Jet Fans being excited about it, this board will be full of people finding reasons that he wasn't good.

He clearly progressed in many ways over the last quarter of the season.  He fixed many of his the reasons for his failures early.  

If you choose to look at the progress he made last year and put a negative spin on it - so be it.   It just must be tough.

• WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

This will happen - I can assure you.  Zach will play well - and instead of Jet Fans being excited about it, this board will be full of people finding reasons that he wasn't good.

He clearly progressed in many ways over the last quarter of the season.  He fixed many of his the reasons for his failures early.  

If you choose to look at the progress he made last year and put a negative spin on it - so be it.   It just must be tough.

This is where you’re wrong. If he plays well they get to celebrate and enjoy the day. You are not rewarded for your loyalty on the message board. As captain I suggest you instate a plan to kick all the naysayers and doubters in the balls if Zach Wilson thrives.

1 hour ago, SuicidalSince98 said:

Let me get this straight, being down to your 4th LT should not have a measurable impact on QB performance? 

Surely there is a middle ground between Zach needing to step up and play better and also realizing having a warm body at left tackle could hurt the offense. Just maybe not here lol

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

What does "play well" even mean? LOL. 

Better question, is that your standard? Just "play well"?

Here's my standard for Zach or any QB:

Do your job, don't throw any dumb INT's and move the chains. Score more points than the Steelers. Manage the clock. Throw the ball away instead of getting sacked for a loss. No delay of game penalties. No false starts. That's why we pay you the big bucks.

13 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

It's the nature of things.  When you don't have a franchise QB, every conversation will ultimately come back to the current QB.

You can hate it all you want, but it's never going to stop.  It is what it is.  One person brings up the QB in relation to X, Y or Z, and off you go.

Because in the NFL, QB is everything, sadly.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

10 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

There is no need to put a negative spin on Wilson last season. He was a bad QB the entire season and the facts back that up.

If you want to spin something positive from it, so be it. It must be tough to wring positivity from that.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

to whom much is given, much will be required 

Zach Wilson was given a 22.9 Million dollar signing bonus last season 

he's >11% of the cap  in 1 person 

a guy like that will have high expectations and deservedly so 

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

This is where you’re wrong. If he plays well they get to celebrate and enjoy the day. You are not rewarded for your loyalty on the message board. As captain I suggest you instate a plan to kick all the naysayers and doubters in the balls if Zach Wilson thrives.

I believe this to be incorrect.

There are people seriously dug in on this one.  I think you're right with most players..

But for some reason - that I really don't understand, there are people that never liked Zach and it will take a year maybe 2 of denying his quality play before they will have to reluctantly accept it.

He's going to be good against the Steelers - but surely he'll make some mistakes - and those mistakes will be what many focus on.

You'll see.  Watch it.  

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, bitonti said:

to whom much is given, much will be required 

Zach Wilson was given a 22.9 Million dollar signing bonus last season 

he's >11% of the cap  in 1 person 

a guy like that will have high expectations and deservedly so 

Zach Wilson is less than $8mm against the cap. 

It's not enough to just attack him on his play - now we're just making sh*t up about him.  

Wilson's base pay for 2022 will be 2,257,758 dollars, and he will have a cap hit of 7,988,791 dollars 

https://www.marca.com/en/lifestyle/celebrity-net-worth/2022/08/07/62ef74a3ca47416f7b8b4596.html

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Zach Wilson is less than $8mm against the cap. 

It's not enough to just attack him on his play - now we're just making sh*t up about him.  

Wilson's base pay for 2022 will be 2,257,758 dollars, and he will have a cap hit of 7,988,791 dollars 

https://www.marca.com/en/lifestyle/celebrity-net-worth/2022/08/07/62ef74a3ca47416f7b8b4596.html

I knew that math was wrong when I posted it 

He got a way big check and they spread out the hit over 4 years. I agree with you on those numbers 

Here's some actual math no one in NY Jets history has ever gotten a bonus bigger than Zach did last year 

Not even sanchito extended or Keyshawn at 1 or any other player 

I'm not adjusting for inflation though. 

But The basic premise is that he's supposed to be their best player. And he's paid very well for it. The rising tide that lifts all boats. 

If their best player misses at least one month every year he's hurting the team hugely by not being available 

Fwiw I believe sauces 20 million might be 2nd most in team history but at least he's earning it 

Zach wilson is a ghost by comparison. Zero impact but takes huge amount of resources. Not just cap hit or cash spend but draft capital 

• WTF? 1

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

It's not that he didn't improve over the course of the rookie season.  He did.  It's just that his improvement was so slight it was borderline meaningless.  He went from an embarrassment at the QB position to merely awful/bad while being neutered (easily the lowest air yards per attempt rate in the league during the span you're speaking of) so that he wouldn't turn the ball over.  That's not meaningful improvement.  Sam Darnold showed more improvement at the tail end of his rookie year, with a weaker supporting cast.  Geno Smith even more so.

If he's QB27 this year that would also be improvement, but it wouldn't be meaningful improvement.  

• Upvote 1

Lets hope he's starting and balling out.   I wouldn't be worried about the fan base if he does that.  

2 hours ago, Maxman said:

I get that but Mitchell is doing such a good job, I would hate to screw him up. I say keep Mitchell at RT and game plan to provide help on the left side.

I guess you can motion the TE over on some plays and have The RBs chip on the wat to the flat. I can see your point but it will require a lot if scheme to protect the blind side 

If he plays well you will have earned those captain’s bars and the only bark of pessimism you will hear from me is “now do it again.”

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It's not that he didn't improve over the course of the rookie season.  He did.  It's just that his improvement was so slight it was borderline meaningless.  He went from an embarrassment at the QB position to merely awful/bad while being neutered (easily the lowest air yards per attempt rate in the league during the span you're speaking of) so that he wouldn't turn the ball over.  That's not meaningful improvement.  Sam Darnold showed more improvement at the tail end of his rookie year, with a weaker supporting cast.  Geno Smith even more so.

If he's QB27 this year that would also be improvement, but it wouldn't be meaningful improvement.  

I think the second part of your statement is very fair.  He needs to show he's FQB worthy.  

First part is where I'll disagree - the reality of what he was playing with was tough to truly gauge how far he really came.  Watching the Bucs game, the Eagles game, even the Jags game...

He was a different player - completely.  If you have time go rewatch weeks 1-4 or so..watch the way he played, the way he moved, his accuracy etc...

Then go back and watch the last 4 weeks - he was entirely different player...mostly from a composure stand point.  And that translated to better decisions - better footwork (therefor better accuracy and just looking like an NFL QB.  

That is all I'm saying - it's more than the numbers - and it's why I'm so confident in what he's going to do with the talent around him right now.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, PorP said:

North!?!?!?

Digging the optimism from a normally pessimistic guy! 

I’m saying complaining about the line as the cause if BYU looks like a turd is not going to sway free-thinking folk who know that a FQB may not be at his best behind a poor line but he won’t look like straight dogrel.

8 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I think the second part of your statement is very fair.  He needs to show he's FQB worthy.  

First part is where I'll disagree - the reality of what he was playing with was tough to truly gauge how far he really came.  Watching the Bucs game, the Eagles game, even the Jags game...

He was a different player - completely.  If you have time go rewatch weeks 1-4 or so..watch the way he played, the way he moved, his accuracy etc...

Then go back and watch the last 4 weeks - he was entirely different player...mostly from a composure stand point.  And that translated to better decisions - better footwork (therefor better accuracy and just looking like an NFL QB.  

That is all I'm saying - it's more than the numbers - and it's why I'm so confident in what he's going to do with the talent around him right now.

Snails also progress. But by morning they are 8 feet from dusk day prior.

• Haha 1

@kdels62 Crusher locked the previous thread just as I was responding, lol.

RE:  Rookie year data being a wash

I think this is a farce at this point.  The rules have made it so easy to play the QB position relative to how it used to be that its the OLDER data that needs to be thrown out.  We've seen QB's shattering rookie records left and right of late.  It's a completely different game than it was even when, say, the Eli-Rivers-Roethlisberger class debuted.  Let alone the Steve Young's, Rich Gannon's and Peyton Manning's of the world.  

Wilson needs a massive year 2 leap, similar to the one Trevor Lawrence is making at the moment, for there to be a legitimate hope of Wilson being "the guy". 

57 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Lets hope he's starting and balling out.   I wouldn't be worried about the fan base if he does that.  

Yeah imagine that you’re so invested to a position that if proven correct, you care more about how others will react than being happy for the franchise. Fake fans who put messageboard warz above the Jets.

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

@kdels62 Crusher locked the previous thread just as I was responding, lol.

RE:  Rookie year data being a wash

I think this is a farce at this point.  The rules have made it so easy to play the QB position relative to how it used to be that its the OLDER data that needs to be thrown out.  We've seen QB's shattering rookie records left and right of late.  It's a completely different game than it was even when, say, the Eli-Rivers-Roethlisberger class debuted.  Let alone the Steve Young's, Rich Gannon's and Peyton Manning's of the world.  

Wilson needs a massive year 2 leap, similar to the one Trevor Lawrence is making at the moment, for there to be a legitimate hope of Wilson being "the guy". 

You didn’t add the disclaimer: “And I hope he does it” to the last sentence. They gonna come getcha.

• Haha 1