Your Expectation from Zach Wilson on Sunday*

Warfish

I expect him to be a bit Rusty since he hasn’t played in awhile.  However I’m very excited to see him getting to play with actual nfl weapons this time around including a budding star in Garrett Wilson.  So in all honesty I expect some good things and some mistakes.  As long as those mistakes aren’t game altering I could live with it.  My bigger concern is the defense and if our coaches can actually stop being stubborn by making adjustments and showing accountability 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

I expect him to be a bit Rusty since he hasn’t played in awhile.  However I’m very excited to see him getting to play with actual nfl weapons this time around including a budding star in Garrett Wilson.  So in all honesty I expect some good things and some mistakes.  As long as those mistakes aren’t game altering I could live with it.  My bigger concern is the defense and if our coaches can actually stop being stubborn by making adjustments and showing accountability 

I think gameplanning on the road with that LT situation is critical.  They need to have him rolling to his right.  Quick hits to the rbs and TEs.  Efficient passing.  Nothing too fancy early on.  Get him going.  Use breece in the running game.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

I think gameplanning on the road with that LT situation is critical.  They need to have him rolling to his right.  Quick hits to the rbs and TEs.  Efficient passing.  Nothing too fancy early on.  Get him going.  Use breece in the running game.  

Oh I completely agree.  We NEED to start running the ball more and using out TE which we spent a lot of money.  If nothing else we need a TE to help out blocking in the left side 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

Oh I completely agree.  We NEED to start running the ball more and using out TE which we spent a lot of money.  If nothing else we need a TE to help out blocking in the left side 

The problem with the run game is that the d can’t stop anything in the first quarter so they’re usually down 2 scores early and have to throw more.  If the score were 3-3 in the 2nd quarter they could start establishing the run.  But when you’re playing lamar jackson and you’re losing 14-0 you’re not running a lot. 

• Upvote 1

Running for his life on a bunch of plays, rusty especially in the first half, a few good plays to hang your hat on, some baffling over/under throws, when sacked we pray he gets up... couple of passes to Braxton and conklin, one ugly interception ... 150 yards, 1 TD/1 INT

13 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

The problem with the run game is that the d can’t stop anything in the first quarter so they’re usually down 2 scores early and have to throw more.  If the score were 3-3 in the 2nd quarter they could start establishing the run.  But when you’re playing lamar jackson and you’re losing 14-0 you’re not running a lot. 

That’s true.  The sad thing is that we have talent on the defense but our coaches are the sh*ts.  Ulbrich has shown less than zero and Saleh refuses to either take over the playcalling or show accountability 

2 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

That’s true.  The sad thing is that we have talent on the defense but our coaches are the sh*ts.  Ulbrich has shown less than zero and Saleh refuses to either take over the playcalling or show accountability 

Saleh is coasting.   More interested in running steps, or predicting player injury times, than holding his DC and team to account.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Definitely? Ok, let's bet. Like, money.

Sorry but I do not bet against other people - only bet with legal sites.

I take it from your response you have an issue with my take. That is fine and while I do not owe you an explanation I will at least provide.

odds are Zach is rusty and combine that with a Swiss cheese ol and the ingredients are there for a rushed or tipped throw. 
If that happens in their own territory, you have a pick 6.

my comment was I def see a pick 6. Not guarantee or bet your life on it but the potential given the circumstances are certainly there.

last comment is I am a zach supporter and want him to do well. That does not blindly mean I have any expectation other than a suspect qb who’s has played less than 1 year and coming off 8 weeks of inactivity.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Saleh is coasting.   More interested in running steps, or predicting player injury times, than holding his DC and team to account.

I don’t agree he is coasting.  I don’t think he is lazy.  I think he’s stubborn and simply isn’t a head coach unless he proves otherwise by making adjustments, showing more accountability, and getting more involved in playcalling on defense which is what got him this job to begin with 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Trotter said:

Sorry but I do not bet against other people - only bet with legal sites.

I take it from your response you have an issue with my take. That is fine and while I do not owe you an explanation I will at least provide.

odds are Zach is rusty and combine that with a Swiss cheese ol and the ingredients are there for a rushed or tipped throw. 
If that happens in their own territory, you have a pick 6.

my comment was I def see a pick 6. Not guarantee or bet your life on it but the potential given the circumstances are certainly there.

last comment is I am a zach supporter and want him to do well. That does not blindly mean I have any expectation other than a suspect qb who’s has played less than 1 year and coming off 8 weeks of inactivity.

Oh, I thought you said definitely in the classical definition of the word

9 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

I don’t agree he is coasting.  I don’t think he is lazy.  I think he’s stubborn and simply isn’t a head coach unless he proves otherwise by making adjustments, showing more accountability, and getting more involved in playcalling on defense which is what got him this job to begin with 

Good post.  I can live with your appraisal of Saleh as lazy rather than coasting.

I'm with everybody saying he's going to come out rusty. He barely played in the preseason and hasn't even had a lot of scrimmage practice since injury. I also expect/hope that the coaches advise him not to take chances with his knee scrambling or evading sacks and throws the ball away in any risky situation. That's going to lead to worse production, but better than losing him to injury again. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, munchmemory said:

Misread it.  Apologies.

No problem.  Look I’m very down on Saleh but I don’t think the issues have anything to do with being lazy.  I do think he is working but I feel he just isn’t looking at thing the right way.  He’s confident in his approach but he had to realize that it’s simply not working and it’s time to change it up 

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

*presuming he is named the starter as is expected, and that he doesn't have a "setback" that costs even more time away.

We'll be playing a Steelers team that is a shadow of it's former glory.  Currently ranked 31st on Offense, 24th on Defense.  A 1-2 record, same as us, with losses to New England and the Browns (who we beat), but a win vs. Cincy (who just beat us).

In 2022 so far, Flacco has produced a 58.7% comp rate, 918 passing yards, and 5:2 TD to INT ratio, playing the 16th ranked Defense (Cincy), 15th ranked Defense (Browns) and 32nd ranked Defense (Ravens, wow).

So with the facts at hand, what is your expectations for production from Zach Wilson on Sunday vs. the Steelers, what do you expect, and what would you be ok with, and what wouldn't you be ok with.

He will be amped up and sail a few passes in his first series, then settle down and have a solid game

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, rex-n-effect said:

I'm with everybody saying he's going to come out rusty. He barely played in the preseason and hasn't even had a lot of scrimmage practice since injury. I also expect/hope that the coaches advise him not to take chances with his knee scrambling or evading sacks and throws the ball away in any risky situation. That's going to lead to worse production, but better than losing him to injury again. 

He's had 3 weeks to study tape on Pittsburgh's D.  He should be the most prepared player on the Steelers the Jets have.   He needs to feel he's fully healthy and play his game.  This is the NFL balls to the wall, and inflict your will and talet on the opposition.  

2 minutes ago, rex-n-effect said:

Agreed.  Look I would love for him to be Superman out there but like you said he hasn’t played for awhile.  As long as he manages the game well thats fine for his first game back from injury.  As he goes along expectations will get higher which is perfectly reasonable 

So here is my own floor for expectations:

Joe Flacco has now led this Jets offense for three weeks.  He is a horrible QB, with horrible mobility, a statue who missed many wide open guys and couldn't buy any time in the pocket.

Yet he was able to produce an average-game statline of 30 for 51, 58.7%, 300 yards passing, with 1.6 TD and 1.0 INT per game.

Zach Wilson should be better than Joe Flacco.  IMO materially better.

With that said, I see no universe where the Jets will allow Zach Wilson to throw it 50 times a game vs. the Steelers.

So my expectation, the floor of acceptable production from Zach IMO, is him putting up 75% of Joe Flacco-level production.

23 for 39, 58.7%, 225 yards passing, and retaining the 1.6:1 TD:INT ratio at minimum.

This level is considerably below acceptable, long term, in my view. But it will suffice for a first game back and start to prove he "gives the Jets the best chance to win" by at least matching the old broke down Flacco.

Long term, he must ultimately meet the 62%+, 250 YPG+, 2:1 TD:INT+ I always harp about.  

• Upvote 1