2022/23 NY Rangers thread (Rebuild's Over)

TBJ

"What we're hearing about a potiential Patrick Kane Rangers-Blackhawks trade"

Blackhawks defenseman Connor Murphy first sensed something was different when Patrick Kane sat out Friday’s practice in San Jose.

That feeling only grew Saturday, as the Blackhawks and Kane decided the star winger would sit out the team’s game against the Sharks and return to Chicago to determine what he wants to do next.

ADVERTISEMENT

“Even when you kind of know, all year, that there’s chances for anyone going — you hear rumblings for a long time — it still sucks … that initial day when a guy doesn’t come in,” Murphy said after the Blackhawks morning skate. “It feels just weird. I think it’ll hit harder when or if things are official.”

And when that guy is Kane, a future Hall of Famer who’s played all 1,161 of his career regular-season games for the Blackhawks, the feeling is even stronger.

“It’s kind of hard to put in words, the impact that he’s made over the years and the career he’s had with Chicago and what he’s helped make the Blackhawks into,” Murphy added. “It’s hard to express the meaning of him not being in a Blackhawk sweater.”

That seems more and more like a reality as of Saturday. Here’s what we know as of now:

What’s the latest with Patrick Kane?

Multiple teams have expressed their interest in Kane, but with his full no-movement clause, he has control of his destination. And in the past few days, he let the Blackhawks know that his preferred destination is the Rangers.

Kane did leave the Blackhawks behind in San Jose on Saturday morning and flew back to Chicago. No one has come out and said he has officially waived his no-movement clause, though.

“Based on the current status of Patrick’s situation, we collectively felt it was more appropriate to have him not play during this period of reflection,” Kane’s agent Pat Brisson told The Athletic’s Pierre LeBrun.

Blackhawks coach Luke Richardson framed Kane’s departure similarly.

“He was with the team yesterday, but as of today, he has flown back to Chicago, just until the situation rectifies itself, either way,” Richardson said.

Kane accepting a trade to the Rangers feels inevitable at this point, but there are a couple of variables that make it not an absolute.

What’s the latest with the Rangers?

Well, there’s a lot, even if you leave out the 6-3 shelling they took from the Capitals in Washington on Saturday afternoon, their third straight regulation loss.

ADVERTISEMENT

The Rangers traded Vitali Kravtsov to the Canucks for AHL forward Will Lockwood and a 2026 seventh-rounder during Saturday’s game, moving Kravtsov off the roster in one of a few necessary moves to clear cap space for Kane. We’d all thought Kravtsov, who’s been a healthy scratch in all but one game over the past month, would go to the Hawks in the eventual Kane deal, but teams have been scared off by the possibility that the 23-year-old Kravtsov will go back to Russia once his one-year deal is up this summer.

And Jake Leschyshyn went on waivers, also during Saturday’s Rangers game. Removing his cap hit from the roster, plus Kravtsov’s exit, will allow a Rangers-Hawks Kane deal to go through a couple of days earlier than Friday’s deadline day. According to the good folks at PuckPedia and CapFriendly, the Rangers will accrue enough cap space by Wednesday to make the presumed $2.625 million of Kane’s cap hit fit.

Of course, the one thing that could scuttle a Kane trade is an injury since the Rangers likely wouldn’t be able to keep more than 21 players on the roster through the end of the regular season. Ryan Lindgren took what coach Gerard Gallant called “a bad hit, a dirty hit” from T.J. Oshie in the first period Saturday, and Lindgren left Capital One Arena with his left arm in a sling.

If Lindgren is out long-term, it’s a huge blow to the Rangers defense, but if he is done for several weeks, the Rangers could put him on long-term injured reserve and use his $3 million cap hit and go above the regular cap limit. That would allow a Kane trade to go through the day Lindgren goes on LTIR and would allow the Rangers to fill out their roster, either with defense help from the AHL or even another trade for a left-handed defenseman.

What can we expect in a trade?

It sounds as if the parameters of a deal are already in place and that Rangers general manager Chris Drury stuck to his position on not giving up another first-round pick, either in June’s draft or any upcoming year. All along, even before the Rangers traded one of their two 2023 first-rounders for Vladimir Tarasenko and Niko Mikkola, the feeling around the league was that Drury would only acquire Kane if it was on the Rangers’ terms — meaning not surrendering a first nor a prime prospect like Brennan Othmann.

ADVERTISEMENT

With Kravtsov off to Vancouver, the list of bodies available to move from the prospect pool is still the same. Zac Jones might be the most attractive piece given he’s played NHL games and is as close to being an NHL regular as anyone in the system. It’s unlikely Drury would be willing to give up Matthew Robertson, Will Cuylle or Dylan Garand; 2022 second-rounder Adam Sykora might be off-limits too.

But the main goal of the deal is to avoid surrendering a first, and it appears Drury has succeeded there.

While the package will satisfy the Rangers, the Blackhawks can’t be that pleased. They were hoping for a much bigger return for Kane. The Blackhawks were always going to do right by the franchise icon, but they were hoping to get a first-round draft pick and quality prospect for him. With how long Kane was indecisive and by him just giving the Blackhawks one team to deal with, general manager Kyle Davidson lost any leverage he might have had.

Are the Rangers feeling distracted?

The players said no after Saturday’s ugly loss, but Gallant wasn’t so sure.

“It sure looked like something was going on,” he said. “We didn’t play the game we needed to play.”

They have scored just six goals during an 0-3-1 slide. Igor Shesterkin got pulled after allowing five goals in two periods Saturday and has allowed at least four in four straight starts, a career-worst skid. Tarasenko, who will presumably slide up to the right side with Chris Kreider and Mika Zibanejad, hasn’t adjusted to his new team yet. And the Rangers are still struggling to play consistent defense, especially against teams on the rush.

The sooner the Kane saga ends the better it will be.

(Photo: Jonathan Daniel / Getty Images)

WTF do the Rangers dress Schneider but he is not going to take a shift ? Now Miller get ejected for spitting so now you are going to tell me the Rangers are going to play with just 4 defenseman ?

Is Schneider going to be part of this trade for Kane ? I don’t like it now as much as I did before when it was Kratsov and whatever else. 

47 minutes ago, nj meadowlands said:

Yeah I have one are you mad that the Devils are still better?

Yes. 

46 minutes ago, section314 said:

These are the things you have to do when you can’t draft.

Also correct but I guess these are the things you have to do (post in the Rangers thread) when you have no fans. 

21 hours ago, JustEndTheSuffering said:

Patrick Kane and Panarin suck together. SUCK. 

Both guys aren't the best defenders, which is a problem playing on the same line. 

They seems to go out their way to pass the puck across the zone to one another. Don't like the pairing at all. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

Both guys aren't the best defenders, which is a problem playing on the same line. 

They seems to go out their way to pass the puck across the zone to one another. Don't like the pairing at all. 

They need to be broken up immediately there will be no production if they keep forcing it to each other like this. Panarin was giving the puck away against Boston like it was Halloween candy.

I've also noticed some of the more positive posters are very quiet lately in this thread. Can't accept the fact that this team actually isn't that good and going all in with Kane and Tarasenko will more than likely still result in an early exit. Don't give me any bullsh*t about playing down men, no excuses.

On 3/5/2023 at 3:36 PM, JustEndTheSuffering said:

They need to be broken up immediately there will be no production if they keep forcing it to each other like this. Panarin was giving the puck away against Boston like it was Halloween candy.

I've also noticed some of the more positive posters are very quiet lately in this thread. Can't accept the fact that this team actually isn't that good and going all in with Kane and Tarasenko will more than likely still result in an early exit. Don't give me any bullsh*t about playing down men, no excuses.

It doesn't guarantee anything but this team is loaded talent-wise.  

51 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

It doesn't guarantee anything but this team is loaded talent-wise.  

Definitely a lot of talent on this team I just don’t like the way we’ve been playing lately. Even the last couple of games we won I don’t think the Rangers have been playing at a high enough level. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, JustEndTheSuffering said:

Definitely a lot of talent on this team I just don’t like the way we’ve been playing lately. Even the last couple of games we won I don’t think the Rangers have been playing at a high enough level. 

Agreed.  I think we need to be patient though.  When we acquired Marty St Louis, he had something like 3 points in his first 14 games (I forget what the stat was but it wasn't pretty).  I think we'll be fine.  The biggest questions, imo, are team health and can these offensive forwards play enough defense (or can Gallant split them up to hide any issues).

2 hours ago, TBJ said:

Id like to see Gallant put these lines together and stick with them.

Kreider, Zibanejad, Kane

Panarin, Trouchek, Tarasenko

The Kid Line

Vesey, Goodrow, Motte

I would switch Panarin and Kreider.