Jump to content

Sauce shut down Jamaar


Rhg1084

Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Maybe we should, but I don't think that is a particularly fair assessment of what Rex did.  Rex had an asset in Revis and he funneled it so that teams had to throw at him.  I don't think his blitz stats were so high either.  Whatever he did against the pass, I don't remember ever getting run on like we did last season under Rex..  I am hopeful that is better this year, but it remains to be seen.

Rex had his corner play man almost exclusively. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Rex had his corner play man almost exclusively. 

Yes.  That doesn't mean that everything is just super simple.  He never rolled safety coverage.  Never mixed things up.   A perfect example was the Cowboys game in 2011.  After not doing it most of the night, they rolled Pool behind Revis so that Revis could undercut Dez Bryant and get the takeaway.  I recall reading several articles about how Revis had very high target numbers for a premier WR and there were items that mentioned both help on the other side and blitz packages designed to force a QB to throw a specific direction.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Sauce has been good in 1-1 situations. The communication errors and the tackling need to be better. Overall the secondary has been bad collectively.

Tough to blame a rookie for all the errors though.  If sauce needs coverages simplified, then that’s what you should do as a coach.  It’s all the worse they give up these big plays with a cb who can cover basically anyone, in an nfl where virtually no teams have someone like this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Augustiniak said:

Tough to blame a rookie for all the errors though.  If sauce needs coverages simplified, then that’s what you should do as a coach.  It’s all the worse they give up these big plays with a cb who can cover basically anyone, in an nfl where virtually no teams have someone like this.

I think he just needs more practice reps. The two EZ brain farts weren’t due to complex coverages. As far as the tackling goes, he looks like Cro, which is manageable if he makes his way as a cover guy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, jamesr said:

Wasn't that what led to a long TD vs Cincy?

You live with those plays and the safety should have made the tackle.  Same as Hall’s good coverage that still led to a TD against the Ravens.

But easy zone TDs due to communication issues?!  Still after a year plus.  Unacceptable.  The goal is to make the QBs make hard plays, not easy ones.

Jets D is a joke.  Leverage your elite corner talent and simplify by playing man.  Don’t send 7 on all all out blitz, send 5.  And get Huff in the game!!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I think he just needs more practice reps. The two EZ brain farts weren’t due to complex coverages. As far as the tackling goes, he looks like Cro, which is manageable if he makes his way as a cover guy.

My main point is that secondary coverage should be easier when you have someone like sauce who can cover a good wr most of the time.  Your coaches should simplify the scheme for the talented rookie so the other guys, some of whom are veterans, can cover the rest of the guys. I have a feeling saleh and ulbright are too in love with their scheme and are confusing all the young dbs when they should just let sauce cover someone and scheme the rest.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

My main point is that secondary coverage should be easier when you have someone like sauce who can cover a good wr most of the time.  Your coaches should simplify the scheme for the talented rookie so the other guys, some of whom are veterans, can cover the rest of the guys. I have a feeling saleh and ulbright are too in love with their scheme and are confusing all the young dbs when they should just let sauce cover someone and scheme the rest.

DJ Reed is playing very well.  If we had Bryce Hall as the other CB I think Sauce would be traveling with the top WR more. We may also see that a few games in once he and the secondary are more comfortable and the communication breakdowns are a thing of the past

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...