Tempers boil over as Jets' defense commits 'unacceptable' errors

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

I agree, no biggie about the argument...

But QW was wrong - they weren't getting there with 4...and even when they did - Burrow simply rolled out and made a play then.  

I see no issue with blitzing there, in fact they probably need to blitz more - simply because the front 4 isn't getting it done.

The blitz wasn't working either. This aspect of it is irrelevant. The article is about the outburst and optics, not the validity of a 4-man rush and getting QW isolated in a 1-on-1. 

35 minutes ago, bitonti said:

When people talk about how the Jets had the worst defense in franchise history last year, they often don't mention the offense was bottom 5 in third down conversions. 

this is going to be accused of "cherry picking" or "Zach hating" but football is three phases and a failure of one phase effects the others

should the defense have played better? Of course. That whitehead missed tackle was awful, as was the Chase "switch off to no one"  

but games are won 30-27 each week 

the worse problem on Sunday was the offense settling for FG instead of TD. 

defense becomes a scape goat for the problems we don't want to talk about 

for what it's worth the Jets are 19th overall in 2022 for third down conversions but somehow in the botttom 5 of converting first downs at home

oh and one last hot take: Quinnen is their best player, maybe tied with Sauce, but it looks to me like the defense at least has guys who give a damn. Their mistakes are aggressive penalties like roughing and head shots. At least they care.

The offense looks like night of the living dead 

The offense looked like it was being lead by a 37 year old washed up vet.....

Meanwhile the defense hasn't forced a 3 and out since Saleh got here.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Rhg1084 said:

Quinnen is doing fine, he had a sack yesterday. Guy has been great this season 

2.5, 7, 6 sacks his first three years, 1.5 this year.

No he is not doing fine.

He is doing fine for a mid round DT who makes a few plays.  He is a non entity as far as disruption for a #3 overall pick.

Wake me when he puts 3 or 4 big plays together in one game.

• Thumb Down 1

4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

2.5, 7, 6 sacks his first three years, 1.5 this year.

No he is not doing fine.

He is doing fine for a mid round DT who makes a few plays.  He is a non entity as far as disruption for a #3 overall pick.

Wake me when he puts 3 or 4 big plays together in one game.

Lol ok all the analytics stats say he’s a top DT this year, but Beerfish on Jetsnation.com says he sucks 

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Jets record since Quinnen Williams became a New York Jet - 14-38. Yell at the coach when having you on the team makes a difference. 

Can't wait to pay this guy $27 million a year. 

I can’t wait to use our top 5 pick to replace him like with Leo. Endless cycle of underperforming DTs. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I gotta imagine there was more to this blow up than just an argument over a 7 man rush.

Probably not a fan of the rotation and wants more snaps. I saw too much Rankins, Solomon Thomas, and JFM - for my taste -  when Q should be playing 95% of the defensive snaps. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

I thought the most interesting thing was that they blitzed a lot in the first quarter and cincy burned them.  After Q’s outburst they didn’t blitz, and the d was much better.  So if I’m reading this correctly, Q was pissed they blitzed b/c he felt the DL could generate pressure and didn’t want the secondary bare, and he was right.  And apparently the defensive coaches listened, which is bad if you want the defensive coaches to succeed.  Q knows more.  

You might be right. The quote from the coach says, “and rightly so” or whatever. I didn’t watch the game, but this makes complete sense.

Agree but this is our HC's D not Jeff... Frankly, they oth should go. 

The Jeff Ulbrich-led New York Jets defense has allowed a 69% completion rating. They’ve allowed 37 touchdowns and stolen only 8 interceptions. Teams average 7.7 yards per play against Gang Green, and an average of 27 points scored. 

• Upvote 3

Nothing tells the story of the Jets better than the argumentative outburst being over which unit of the defense is more desperate for help, the pass rush that never gets there or the coverage that's always getting beat.

Next week, the battle can turn to the offensive side when the incompetent OL gets upset as keeping TEs and HBs in to help them block results in a triple-covered Wilson and every other WR blanketed.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Bleedin Green said:

Nothing tells the story of the Jets better than the argumentative outburst being over which unit of the defense is more desperate for help, the pass rush that never gets there or the coverage that's always getting beat.

Next week, the battle can turn to the offensive side when the incompetent OL gets upset as keeping TEs and HBs in to help them block results in a triple-covered Wilson and every other WR blanketed.

I want to see someone on the team punch LaFleur so hard that his brother in Green Bay hits the deck.

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, undertow said:

I would like to take Q's side here but the 4 man rush gets zero pressure so not sure what he's going on about.

Duh. He's lying.

Did you see his reaction? Thats a you're challenging my manhood reaction. Coach probably called him out for playing like a noodle.