Jump to content

A Required Change to Help Zach: Jets Rushing Game


Warfish
 Share

Recommended Posts

This is a crock of sh*t!! Do you wanna know how you get 20 rush attempts each, by being aggressive early and getting a nice lead. You pass to set up the run, get a lead and then run it down their throats later in the game. Conservative game plans in this league just do not work. 

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Barton said:

Jets dont have anyone on the Oline who can road grade besides maybeee AVT. 

My understanding is that the guys on the OL would rather be attacking in the run game than defending in the passing game.  Since they can't pass block anyway I'm for a return to ground and pound.  

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Warfish said:

I was with my good friend @slats in the expectation that the 2022 NY Jets would lean into their rushing attack, especially early in the season, to help support Zach Wilson.

Instead, Zach has been out with injury again, and we had Joe "Venus de Milo" Flacco, playing the run-and-shoot behind a shoddy and already injury ridden O-line.

As of right now, the Jets are #1 in the NFL in pass attempts.

And we are 30th in rush attempts, 26th in rushing yards (which may drop further after tonight's game).

This is mind-bogglingly backwards.

Of note, the Jets are actually 15th in the NFL in rushing yards-per-attempt at 4.4, pretty decent.

Breece Hall is at 4.4, and Michael Carter is at a very nice 5.3.

With Zach coming back, and the O-line showing nothing to warrant faith in pass protection so far, the Jets MUST run the ball on Sunday vs. the Steelers.

Fall behind, run it.  Start fast, run it.  We must run it, and keep running it.  We must establish the run as part of our core personality, with the duel threat of Hall and Carter.

I want to see each get 20 carries Sunday, not <20 total for the game.

Look, my view on Zach is well known, but we absolutely must do what we can to support the kid.  And part of that is not expecting him to throw 50+ times in his first game back.

If Zach takes more than 38 attempts, the Coaching staff have failed him.

We're 1-2, Zach is just getting back, the time is now to help both Zach and the O-line, by rushing more.  Get those TE blockers in there too, and overpower the Steelers line.  This will help open up the field for Moore/Wilson, and support play action, screens and rollouts to keep Zach safer when he does pass.

The Steelers are currently 31st in the NFL for rushing attempts against, and 28th in rushing yards allowed!!!  THIS IS THE TIME.

Do what's right, we invested in Hall and Carter to support Zach and provide a dominant clock-slaughtering running game.

Now is the time to put it in place.  It helps the Jets, it'll help Zach.

In my opinion this will just not work for many reasons. I get what you are saying but not for this team.

1. Our OL is not really that great at run blocking

2. Our tackles are REALLY not great at running wide 

3. LaFleur wants to run up the middle

4. We do not have a FB

5. Teams are utterly unafraid of of our passing (especially with Flacco) Until we can show we can throw it over their heads we are facing 8, 9 in the box on almost every play.

6.  LaFleur is not that great at scheming runs. I almost think we need to hire a running game coordinator.

I am not saying we should throw 50 times. We need to be balanced especially on 1st and 2nd down and make enough plays downfield to get them away from stacking the box. Garret "Warrior" Wilson along with Zach gives us the chance. If we can do that, get a lead, we can run successfully later in games.

We need to run more no doubt, but in balance. Run run run is never ever working with this team.

 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, johnnysd said:

In my opinion this will just not work for many reasons. I get what you are saying but not for this team.

1. Our OL is not really that great at run blocking

2. Our tackles are REALLY not great at running wide 

3. LaFleur wants to run up the middle

4. We do not have a FB

5. Teams are utterly unafraid of of our passing (especially with Flacco) Until we can show we can throw it over their heads we are facing 8, 9 in the box on almost every play.

6.  LaFleur is not that great at scheming runs. I almost think we need to hire a running game coordinator.

I am not saying we should throw 50 times. We need to be balanced especially on 1st and 2nd down and make enough plays downfield to get them away from stacking the box. Garret "Warrior" Wilson along with Zach gives us the chance. If we can do that, get a lead, we can run successfully later in games.

We need to run more no doubt, but in balance. Run run run is never ever working with this team.

 

Show a pic of 9 in the box.   That is absolutely not what other teams are playing. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Barton said:

Jets dont have anyone on the Oline who can road grade besides maybeee AVT. 

Conor McGovern genuinely looks to avoid contact where possible and people here talk about him like a top quality centre.

Guy has been a problem from day one.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Installing High Speed GIF

This was Joe Flacco on Sunday 

The entire Bengals D looked to be in downhill attack mode all day long, from Hendrickson to the DBs

They were able to sit on everything short to intermediate because the Jets have a trash OL that can’t pass protect, which forces them into a predictable short passing game with a QB less mobile than Jared Lorenzen

The Jets also have with zero legit burners / “lid lifters” on the outside  

Seeing them force deep contested boundary shots to 5’9” Elijah Moore was just sad

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

My understanding is that the guys on the OL would rather be attacking in the run game than defending in the passing game.  Since they can't pass block anyway I'm for a return to ground and pound.  

 

Ground and pound isnt gonna work with this line. They are finesse. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Warfish said:

I was with my good friend @slats in the expectation that the 2022 NY Jets would lean into their rushing attack, especially early in the season, to help support Zach Wilson.

Instead, Zach has been out with injury again, and we had Joe "Venus de Milo" Flacco, playing the run-and-shoot behind a shoddy and already injury ridden O-line.

As of right now, the Jets are #1 in the NFL in pass attempts.

And we are 30th in rush attempts, 26th in rushing yards (which may drop further after tonight's game).

This is mind-bogglingly backwards.

Of note, the Jets are actually 15th in the NFL in rushing yards-per-attempt at 4.4, pretty decent.

Breece Hall is at 4.4, and Michael Carter is at a very nice 5.3.

With Zach coming back, and the O-line showing nothing to warrant faith in pass protection so far, the Jets MUST run the ball on Sunday vs. the Steelers.

Fall behind, run it.  Start fast, run it.  We must run it, and keep running it.  We must establish the run as part of our core personality, with the duel threat of Hall and Carter.

I want to see each get 20 carries Sunday, not <20 total for the game.

Look, my view on Zach is well known, but we absolutely must do what we can to support the kid.  And part of that is not expecting him to throw 50+ times in his first game back.

If Zach takes more than 38 attempts, the Coaching staff have failed him.

We're 1-2, Zach is just getting back, the time is now to help both Zach and the O-line, by rushing more.  Get those TE blockers in there too, and overpower the Steelers line.  This will help open up the field for Moore/Wilson, and support play action, screens and rollouts to keep Zach safer when he does pass.

The Steelers are currently 31st in the NFL for rushing attempts against, and 28th in rushing yards allowed!!!  THIS IS THE TIME.

Do what's right, we invested in Hall and Carter to support Zach and provide a dominant clock-slaughtering running game.

Now is the time to put it in place.  It helps the Jets, it'll help Zach.

I appreciate all this and it seems to make perfect sense. Yet, this coaching staff seems very comfortable with fitting a round peg into a square hole. Got a young corner who can cover like tomato sauce so they play zone. We have a young budding player in Moore who had more success as a slot guy and they play him on the outside. They are completely unwilling to use what they have and  insist on doing  what has worked that one time on another team with different players . So this week, I’m pretty sure like last week with the Bengals, the Steelers will strive, end up top ten in offense and defense for that exact lack of flexibility and adaptation we’ve seen every week, 

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

When you draft a QB at # 2 overall, you do so for him to lead the way, not have to lean on the running game like a crutch.  And Wilson isn't built to be a game manager, either.

Might be nice for the defense to get a stop on their first series, too.  

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jeez, if only there was a thread that called out the lack of balance on the offense comparing pass attempts to rush attempts. 

As I said in another thread, it would be the most Jetsy thing ever to have the corpse of Joe Flacco attempting 50 passing a game and as soon as the franchise QB is back, they then move toward a heavy run attack.  And it's not that I dont disagree, I obviously called out how the balance is way off and I'd like to see more runs but if this does happen IMO it would just continue to speak toward the incompetence of the coaching staff.

 

  • Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Warfish said:

If Zach takes more than 38 attempts, the Coaching staff have failed him.

They failed Flacco in this regard, too.  Even more mindboggling when you consider that (1) the o-line's clear (and only) strength is getting a push up the middle, and (2) Hall and Carter are two of the most capable players on the entire team.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

When you draft a QB at # 2 overall, you do so for him to lead the way, not have to lean on the running game like a crutch.  And Wilson isn't built to be a game manager, either.

I don't care what he should be.  I care that we get the best chance to salvage him.

Throwing him out there and expecting him to be Brett Favre and throw it 50 times a game is a guaranteed poor outcome.

He may not be built to be a game manager, but at least early on that is exactly how he should be managed by this Coaching staff. 

Do the small things right in an O that supports him first, then see if he can merge in some of that so-called "Hero ball" when needed.

JMO, as pessimistic as I am about Zach, I really do want to see him have a chance.  If he throws it 50 times like Flacco, it's hard to see that working out. 

And it wastes two of our four best players on this Offense.

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

I don't care what he should be.  I care that we get the best chance to salvage him.

Throwing him out there and expecting him to be Brett Favre and throw it 50 times a game is a guaranteed poor outcome.

He may not be built to be a game manager, but at least early on that is exactly how he should be managed by this Coaching staff. 

Do the small things right in an O that supports him first, then see if he can merge in some of that so-called "Hero ball" when needed.

JMO, as pessimistic as I am about Zach, I really do want to see him have a chance.  If he throws it 50 times like Flacco, it's hard to see that working out. 

And it wastes two of our four best players on this Offense.

 

I'm totally down to go run-heavy the first game or 2 of Wilson's return, especially with the OT issues we have at the moment.  I'm talking over the course of the season/philosophically here.  Wilson needs to lead the Jets offense for the majority of his games in year 2 for him to be "the guy". 

If he proves to be nothing better than a "game manager" type, then look to move on in Year 3.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We definitely should be running the ball more anyway regardless.  If Saleh really wants to help his young QB then he better have his defense prepared to play.  But yeah we have two horses in Carter and Hall time to use them more in the running game 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, LockeJET said:

This is a crock of sh*t!! Do you wanna know how you get 20 rush attempts each, by being aggressive early and getting a nice lead. You pass to set up the run, get a lead and then run it down their throats later in the game. Conservative game plans in this league just do not work. 

I suggest you re-watch Super Bowl XXV.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

Conor McGovern genuinely looks to avoid contact where possible and people here talk about him like a top quality centre.

Guy has been a problem from day one.

And Linda Baum was available.  Though probably would've had to have been in place of JJ.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Warfish said:

I was with my good friend @slats in the expectation that the 2022 NY Jets would lean into their rushing attack, especially early in the season, to help support Zach Wilson.

Instead, Zach has been out with injury again, and we had Joe "Venus de Milo" Flacco, playing the run-and-shoot behind a shoddy and already injury ridden O-line.

As of right now, the Jets are #1 in the NFL in pass attempts.

And we are 30th in rush attempts, 26th in rushing yards (which may drop further after tonight's game).

This is mind-bogglingly backwards.

Of note, the Jets are actually 15th in the NFL in rushing yards-per-attempt at 4.4, pretty decent.

Breece Hall is at 4.4, and Michael Carter is at a very nice 5.3.

With Zach coming back, and the O-line showing nothing to warrant faith in pass protection so far, the Jets MUST run the ball on Sunday vs. the Steelers.

Fall behind, run it.  Start fast, run it.  We must run it, and keep running it.  We must establish the run as part of our core personality, with the duel threat of Hall and Carter.

I want to see each get 20 carries Sunday, not <20 total for the game.

Look, my view on Zach is well known, but we absolutely must do what we can to support the kid.  And part of that is not expecting him to throw 50+ times in his first game back.

If Zach takes more than 38 attempts, the Coaching staff have failed him.

We're 1-2, Zach is just getting back, the time is now to help both Zach and the O-line, by rushing more.  Get those TE blockers in there too, and overpower the Steelers line.  This will help open up the field for Moore/Wilson, and support play action, screens and rollouts to keep Zach safer when he does pass.

The Steelers are currently 31st in the NFL for rushing attempts against, and 28th in rushing yards allowed!!!  THIS IS THE TIME.

Do what's right, we invested in Hall and Carter to support Zach and provide a dominant clock-slaughtering running game.

Now is the time to put it in place.  It helps the Jets, it'll help Zach.

Well if you are always playing from way behind as the Jets have been so far the running game pretty much goes out the window.

Get a lead and let's see if things balance out a bit. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 rush attempts to 156 pass attempts is just plain stupid play-calling. Especially since the run game has been working: 4.4 yards per carry.

why trade up for Breece Hall when you already have Michael Carter and you aren't even going to run the ball much anyway. 

Such a divide here between the coaching staff and front office

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, shawn306 said:

Well if you are always playing from way behind as the Jets have been so far the running game pretty much goes out the window.

Get a lead and let's see if things balance out a bit. 

I'm not sure I agree.  We've been down 7 or 11 or even 14, I wouldn't call that "way behind" in a way that means we dump the running game.

If we wait to run till we have a lead, we may not be doing any running this season, lol.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, JiFapono said:

Jeez, if only there was a thread that called out the lack of balance on the offense comparing pass attempts to rush attempts. 

As I said in another thread, it would be the most Jetsy thing ever to have the corpse of Joe Flacco attempting 50 passing a game and as soon as the franchise QB is back, they then move toward a heavy run attack.  And it's not that I dont disagree, I obviously called out how the balance is way off and I'd like to see more runs but if this does happen IMO it would just continue to speak toward the incompetence of the coaching staff.

 

Great, great post.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, JiFapono said:

Jeez, if only there was a thread that called out the lack of balance on the offense comparing pass attempts to rush attempts. 

As I said in another thread, it would be the most Jetsy thing ever to have the corpse of Joe Flacco attempting 50 passing a game and as soon as the franchise QB is back, they then move toward a heavy run attack.  And it's not that I dont disagree, I obviously called out how the balance is way off and I'd like to see more runs but if this does happen IMO it would just continue to speak toward the incompetence of the coaching staff.

 

Also, JD didn’t sign Cory Davis, draft Moore, Wilson and Ruckert  to run 4-5 yard routes. They are here to compliment what Zach’s  was drafted for the medium to long downfield passing game.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Warfish said:

I was with my good friend @slats in the expectation that the 2022 NY Jets would lean into their rushing attack, especially early in the season, to help support Zach Wilson.

Instead, Zach has been out with injury again, and we had Joe "Venus de Milo" Flacco, playing the run-and-shoot behind a shoddy and already injury ridden O-line.

As of right now, the Jets are #1 in the NFL in pass attempts.

And we are 30th in rush attempts, 26th in rushing yards (which may drop further after tonight's game).

This is mind-bogglingly backwards.

Of note, the Jets are actually 15th in the NFL in rushing yards-per-attempt at 4.4, pretty decent.

Breece Hall is at 4.4, and Michael Carter is at a very nice 5.3.

With Zach coming back, and the O-line showing nothing to warrant faith in pass protection so far, the Jets MUST run the ball on Sunday vs. the Steelers.

Fall behind, run it.  Start fast, run it.  We must run it, and keep running it.  We must establish the run as part of our core personality, with the duel threat of Hall and Carter.

I want to see each get 20 carries Sunday, not <20 total for the game.

Look, my view on Zach is well known, but we absolutely must do what we can to support the kid.  And part of that is not expecting him to throw 50+ times in his first game back.

If Zach takes more than 38 attempts, the Coaching staff have failed him.

We're 1-2, Zach is just getting back, the time is now to help both Zach and the O-line, by rushing more.  Get those TE blockers in there too, and overpower the Steelers line.  This will help open up the field for Moore/Wilson, and support play action, screens and rollouts to keep Zach safer when he does pass.

The Steelers are currently 31st in the NFL for rushing attempts against, and 28th in rushing yards allowed!!!  THIS IS THE TIME.

Do what's right, we invested in Hall and Carter to support Zach and provide a dominant clock-slaughtering running game.

Now is the time to put it in place.  It helps the Jets, it'll help Zach.

absolutely right.  wilson isn't going to succeed if he is throwing 52 times a game like flacco.  they need to limit the throwing to maybe 30 per game and then rush for the rest.  i don't know if this patchwork oline will be able to block well enough but both hall and carter are quick and elusive enough to make some good yards if they can get past the first defense line.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, shawn306 said:

Well if you are always playing from way behind as the Jets have been so far the running game pretty much goes out the window.

Get a lead and let's see if things balance out a bit. 

This fool of a head coach who is so cool and all the players really like him because he's like one of the boys man has never led in a game yet-20 games and counting and the Jets under the wooden Indian have played all 20 games from behind

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...