(Rumor ) Jets Are Signing T Mike Remmers

jetsrule128

21 minutes ago, JTJet said:

Its irrelevant that Becton wasnt injury prone prior to drafting him. A simple look at his frame was enough to tell most people there could be issues, and at the moment of his first injury, JD had essentially a year to form a plan to have a suitable replacement ready, and he did not do that. 

Bringing in Duane Brown halfway through training camp was not a plan, it was a panic move only AFTER Becton was injured...again. 

Duane Brown attended the Green-White Scrimmage two days before Becton got injured, but don't let facts get in the way of your narrative.

• Upvote 5
  • Thumb Down 1

11 minutes ago, TheClashFan said:

The Jets penciled in Fant and Becton as starters, both of whom ended last season with knee injuries.  Becton missed nearly the whole season.

Depth was Edoga and McDermott, both trash.  Mitchell was a nice pick in the 4th round, but he's really a developmental guy forced to start.  So far he's held up okay, to his credit.

I don't think it is bashing to say that OT depth was very thin coming in to camp and it was overly optimistic to pencil in both Fant and Becton as surefire starters this year.  JD got lucky with his last minute band aid last year.  Not so lucky this year with Brown, at least not so far. 

You’re not wrong.  One thing is for sure next offseason JD can’t bet on Becton being healthy next year.  If he is still here  he needs to go into next offseason thinking that Becton is a non factor and address the left side .  If Becton comes back then great that’s a bonus 

• Upvote 3

54 minutes ago, MykePM said:

Duane Brown attended the Green-White Scrimmage two days before Becton got injured, but don't let facts get in the way of your narrative.

Lol a visit? Ok? And? 

Mekhi Becton was injured August 8th. 

Duane Brown was signed August 11th. 

But dont let facts get in the way of your narrative. 

Edit: AND training camp was July 30th to August 20th, so damn near exactly halfway through camp. Sooooo....

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, BrokeFatLonely said:

Didn’t this guy play for the Giants a few years ago and absolutely suck?

He’s played Left Tackle including in SBs with the Chiefs. He would have to be better than Fant right now with his bad Knee, and McDermott with his poor play. OTs don’t grow on trees so at least Jets are trying to improve a bad situation at Left Tackle especially.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, oatmeal said:

How about the human turnstile at LG?

We moved AVT a better player I wonder where he would be year 2 at LG… maybe better ?

how about Fant getting dragged from new York to Cleveland and back again? 

How about the complete JAG at Center that he refuses to replace for whatever reason 

how about all this draft capital and cap space JD had to work with

^^^^ name a GM that had that much resources and time (4 years) to build a O-Line

I’ll wait 

save me the excuses 

The apologists fail to realize that the actual starting OL before injuries was garbage too ?

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, jetstream23 said:

Did they even talk to Jason Peters? 

Although famous for playing in Philly (and one year in Chicago) Peters is actually from Queen City, Texas. His offseason home is like a couple of hours from Dallas.

In other words he probably would be playing in Texas or staying retired 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TheClashFan said:

The Jets penciled in Fant and Becton as starters, both of whom ended last season with knee injuries.  Becton missed nearly the whole season.

Depth was Edoga and McDermott, both trash.  Mitchell was a nice pick in the 4th round, but he's really a developmental guy forced to start.  So far he's held up okay, to his credit.

I don't think it is bashing to say that OT depth was very thin coming in to camp and it was overly optimistic to pencil in both Fant and Becton as surefire starters this year.  JD got lucky with his last minute band aid last year.  Not so lucky this year with Brown, at least not so far. 

This is the dumbest narrative of this extremely dumb season. Douglas wasn't overly optimistic at all. He hosted Riley Reiff and Duane Brown before Becton got hurt.

• Upvote 4

6 hours ago, Rob Moore said:

Find me a team/GM that has built depth at the tackle position that is 4-5 players deep with viable starting caliber players. 
I know all the cool kids around here like to bash every part of the organization for everything, but it’s pretty hard to plan for so many injuries to a singular position.

Nonsense.

Every man and his dog knew Becton was going to blow up at some point. Some just deluded themselves into saying otherwise. There were plenty of us who sai Moses should be brought back with a starting position assured.

Douglas is trash. The excuses still made for him on here are pathetic and most generally boil down to blaming the coaches that he handpicked. His seat should he as hot as Saleh’s if this bullsh*t continues.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, dbatesman said:

This is the dumbest narrative of this extremely dumb season. Douglas wasn't overly optimistic at all. He hosted Riley Reiff and Duane Brown before Becton got hurt.

Yeah because waiting until August to overspend on a 37 year old tackle is really the stuff winners are made of.

Moses would have signed for less. It was a debacle and even if Brown gets healthy there’s every chance his play drops off a cliff at that age.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, 92ShaunEllis92 said:

Can’t criticize him for not addressing an obvious problem. Everyone has bîtched about McDermott, instant replacement. 

Upgrade? Doubt it if he’s been on the street this long. 

he hasn't addressed the problem sufficiently in any off-season so far. drafting becton over whirfs was a huge mistake. and then relying on him this year was an even bigger mistake....so many of us knew becton would likely get hurt. and lo and behold he did. should have drafted penei sewell but instead he panicked after losing out on trevor lawrence and drafted that assclown zach wilson.....whose best talent is banging his mom friends. this team is a sh*tshow and douglas hasn't been good as a gm. unfortunately the entire front office is looking like another bust and we have to clean house, yet again. the rebuild goes on but nothing good ever really gets built. 

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, JTJet said:

Its irrelevant that Becton wasnt injury prone prior to drafting him. A simple look at his frame was enough to tell most people there could be issues, and at the moment of his first injury, JD had essentially a year to form a plan to have a suitable replacement ready, and he did not do that. 

Bringing in Duane Brown halfway through training camp was not a plan, it was a panic move only AFTER Becton was injured...again. 

We were looking at Brown at the very beginning of camp prior to the Becton injury. He was at the G&W scrimmage before Becton went down.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Rob Moore said:

Find me a team/GM that has built depth at the tackle position that is 4-5 players deep with viable starting caliber players. 
I know all the cool kids around here like to bash every part of the organization for everything, but it’s pretty hard to plan for so many injuries to a singular position.

I can find you 31 teams who have a lower payroll for their OL.

10 hours ago, BCJet said:

Seriously - its insane that people are saying JD didnt address OT, its so ridiculous its hard to even read.

1. Drafted Becton - and yes that is something that actually is JD's fault as Becton hasnt worked out

2. Signed Fant who played well his first 2 years and is now banged up

3. Drafted Max Mitchell who is outplaying Ekwonu and Neal

4. Signed Duane Brown - who again got hurt

I dont know why there are so many injuries but the guy signed and drafted people at the position, unfortunately we are getting smacked with injuries.  There isnt a team in the league that has 4 legitimate OTs

what's also left out of this is if douglas drafted another tackle with a high draft pick to backstop becton then one of the other players like wilson/johnson/hall would not have been drafted.  in light of the injuries a logical argument can be made but it also one done in hindsight.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Or just not let our starting tackle walk in free agency?

Fant and Becton were already under contract. You want to say that signing/picking those two particular guys in the first place was a mistake, I won’t argue with you. But, again: how many starting caliber offensive tackles is this team supposed to carry?

Just now, dbatesman said:

Fant and Becton were already under contract. You want to say that signing/picking those two particular guys in the first place was a mistake, I won’t argue with you. But, again: how many starting caliber offensive tackles is this team supposed to carry?

Becton should not have been considered a starter imo and I thought as much at the time. The red flags were there. 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

I love the emerging consensus that any competent team would have gone into training camp with a minimum of four starting caliber offensive tackles

I’m totally stealing”emerging consensus”. When my burnt out brain forgets to give you credit, let this be a permanent record ?

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

I know, this is why we are here. Just a collection of poor choices at the wrong time. The goal with a left tackle is to draft one high and never speak of him again before he is inducted into the ring of honor. 

Of course. I’m not going to bat for Douglas here. Everything we’re talking about is a direct result of him blowing the Becton pick. But all this hindsight sh*t about “well, he should have known those guys would get hurt” is pretty silly. He did know. That’s why we signed a guy and drafted a guy. Now the guy we signed (who, historically, never gets hurt) is hurt too. Not really sure what else he’s supposed to do on the fly.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1