Some Positive Silver Linings

1 hour ago, Claymation said:

I thought silver linings were meant to be positive.

Fant and Laken have not been good. The Safeties are on par with the left side of the OL.

The Left Tackle is going to need a TE or a Back to help out.

Flacco has been below average this year.

Confused.  I wrote 8 of them.  Just started with a caveat that I am not happy with the coaching staff.

Agree on the JJ/Clemons comment.  Pretty tough critique of Carl Lawson over on Jet X right now.  I know a feel good story and a $15 million commitment.  But he's not producing and neither is JFM lining up on the other edge.  Activating Huff and giving the rookies a few more reps wouldn't be the worst thing in the world...

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

To ensure I don’t come off as too positive, I loath Saleh & Ulbrich as football coaches.  As @Lith pointed out yesterday, opposing teams are scoring on us at over 2x league average on opening & 2nd drives.  We are playing catch-up right from the start and quickly abandoning a balanced attack that incorporates a strong running game.

Our strategy is easy to beat and doesn’t play to clear strengths at corner and wide receiver, where Sauce is playing zone near the goal line & Elijah Moore is running sideline jump balls.  (Hmm, a job for Mims if that’s what you want to run). And yes, Mike White is clearly a better fit for this system than Old Feller.  This version of Flack to the Future is unwatchable.  Quinnen Williams should be on the field more.

Furthermore, individual players have gotten worse, not better in this system. 

Our point differential should even be worse than the league worst it is.  A strong zone defense should force FGs not allow easy TDs.  LaFleur- It’s ok for the offense to score TDs at home, we won’t hurt the fans’ feelings.

Now to the silver linings- hopefully for a new HC.

1. AVT is developing into a Pro Bowl Guard

2. Max Mitchell looked SOLID in his third start, right up there with AVT.  Best run grade, only 2 pressures allowed and 0 sacks.  Right side of line might be special at this time next year

3. It’s still early but Garrett Wilson and Sauce Gardner look like the Truth.  Elite players in the making who we haven’t had on the team in over a decade

4. Breece Hall is not far behind and is a great lead horse to a dynamic running back duo we haven’t had since McNeil & Hector

5. Elijah Moore is getting open and Tyler Conklin is on pace for 102 catches — real weapons for a competent OC & QB

6. Johnson & Clemons are quietly making some plays.  Both are grading well using the imperfect PFF (Johnson @ 68, Clemons @ 72).

7. DJ Reed is an elite corner and maybe our best free agent signing ever (not much of a bar)

8. Mann & Zuerlein just had the best back to back kicking games I can recall from a pair of Jets kickers (typically laughing stocks)

Good list.  Agree with all of it.  There are positives.  The success of this team going forward will be based on two things - Zach Wilson and Robert Saleh. I don't think there's any disagreement on that.  The two most consequential people to whether a team wins football games on Sundays are the QB and HC (probably in that order).  Thus, these two people who were handpicked by GM Joe Douglas, have to begin taking steps forward.

3 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

To ensure I don’t come off as too positive, I loath Saleh & Ulbrich as football coaches.  As @Lith pointed out yesterday, opposing teams are scoring on us at over 2x league average on opening & 2nd drives.  We are playing catch-up right from the start and quickly abandoning a balanced attack that incorporates a strong running game.

Our strategy is easy to beat and doesn’t play to clear strengths at corner and wide receiver, where Sauce is playing zone near the goal line & Elijah Moore is running sideline jump balls.  (Hmm, a job for Mims if that’s what you want to run). And yes, Mike White is clearly a better fit for this system than Old Feller.  This version of Flack to the Future is unwatchable.  Quinnen Williams should be on the field more.

Furthermore, individual players have gotten worse, not better in this system. 

Our point differential should even be worse than the league worst it is.  A strong zone defense should force FGs not allow easy TDs.  LaFleur- It’s ok for the offense to score TDs at home, we won’t hurt the fans’ feelings.

Now to the silver linings- hopefully for a new HC.

1. AVT is developing into a Pro Bowl Guard

2. Max Mitchell looked SOLID in his third start, right up there with AVT.  Best run grade, only 2 pressures allowed and 0 sacks.  Right side of line might be special at this time next year

3. It’s still early but Garrett Wilson and Sauce Gardner look like the Truth.  Elite players in the making who we haven’t had on the team in over a decade

4. Breece Hall is not far behind and is a great lead horse to a dynamic running back duo we haven’t had since McNeil & Hector

5. Elijah Moore is getting open and Tyler Conklin is on pace for 102 catches — real weapons for a competent OC & QB

6. Johnson & Clemons are quietly making some plays.  Both are grading well using the imperfect PFF (Johnson @ 68, Clemons @ 72).

7. DJ Reed is an elite corner and maybe our best free agent signing ever (not much of a bar)

8. Mann & Zuerlein just had the best back to back kicking games I can recall from a pair of Jets kickers (typically laughing stocks)

Great post!