Credit to Joe Douglas

Bronx

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Now if only he could CTRL Z the JFM extension.

Yeah right now that’s been brutal.  Feels like Mo Wilkerson 2.0..  the second he got the contract he literally just showed up and out a jersey on but that’s about it.  But I forgot he stated showing up late in the first year of the contract ? 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

ooof yea

I would like to see him play less at DE, however. 

This defensive coaching staff just seems in over their head

It's almost like DC's actually have to do their jobs effectively without having guys like Nick Bosa and Fred Warner around.  Weird how that works sometimes.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

It's almost like a DC's actually have to do their jobs without having guys like Nick Bosa and Fred Warner.  Weird how that works sometimes.

The sad thing is that this team does have talent especially on the defensive side.  Like you said if they actually did their jobs a tiny bit and weren’t so stubborn then things could probably turn around at least better than they are now 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Augustiniak said:

Here’s my question on fant.  There wasn’t a problem until he started complaining about moving back to the left.  

I thought his complaint was moving to RT?

There shouldn't be any reason he'd complain about moving back to LT.  He played there all of last season, and LT's make a lot more on the open market.  Either the Jets were going to end up paying him a premium or someone else would.  

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, undertow said:

The bar is so low that having two good drafts makes him the best GM we have had in 20 years.... but he's not nearly as good as his fanbase makes him out to be.  

But sadly its still a noticeable improvement and upgrade. He’s learned on the job as well and has fared MUCH better IMO than previous first time GMs hired by the NYJETS: Terry Bradway, Mike Tannenbaum (last decent one, had his flaws), John Idzik, Mike MacCagnan, Adam Gase (did trade Darron Lee). 

no prize pigs in that trough. JD has fared exceptionally well considering the situation of Cap/BadContract Hell and a ghastly dearth of talent, let alone football players, when he landed here in June 2019. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, 92ShaunEllis92 said:

But sadly its still a noticeable improvement and upgrade. He’s learned on the job as well and has fared MUCH better IMO than previous first time GMs hired by the NYJETS: Terry Bradway, Mike Tannenbaum (last decent one, had his flaws), John Idzik, Mike MacCagnan, Adam Gase (did trade Darron Lee). 

no prize pigs in that trough. JD has fared exceptionally well considering the situation the Cap/Contract Hell and dearth of talent when he landed here in June 2019. 

Also i think jd is getting better, his 2022 draft is his best, 2020 the worst.  So if he learned from 2020 then we’re going to be ok. We just need the qb.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I thought his complaint was moving to RT?

There shouldn't be any reason he'd complain about moving back to LT.  He played there all of last season, and LT's make a lot more on the open market.  Either the Jets were going to end up paying him a premium or someone else would.  

He was complaining about the Jets utilizing the very thing that makes him more valuable, which is the ability to flip sides & do a credible job of it with no notice. Of course, they flipped him back to LT, as you mention, when Brown went down & complained about that, too. Meanwhile he was clearly less than thrilled about being moved to RT upon Brown's arrival.

Initially I thought it was a bit strange to add a LT who'd never played RT. Especially since the last 2 years seemed to show Fant as a much better performer moving to his left, and it seemed backwards to move him to where he was less effective (in addition to adding a LT that'd be pricier than adding a RT). What fans (like me) didn't realize - as the team did - was that Fant wasn't ready to go himself and really the team needed a LT. Then again they did name him the LT over Becton after about 5 minutes of camp, so fans weren't unjustified in thinking that.

Jetsy as it was to lose Brown for a month before the ink was dry, at least the thought process was sound. Incredibly, if the team had only lost 2 starting tackles before the end of week 3, they'd still be in ok shape on their bookends.

Losing 3 starting tackles, all of whom project to LT and all with at least one good season in the prior two where they did it well. Who does that? We do. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

So the extension was little more than a symbolic one, in a sense?  JFM should probably fire his agent then, lol.  

It basically came to somethign like $16M guaranteed over two seasons.  Gave him an up front payment last year, but it really was little more than a team option for 2023 - 25.  I would have liked to see JFM earn the last three years, but it was a contract where the details were very different from the headline 4 year $55M extension.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

Here’s my question on fant.  There wasn’t a problem until he started complaining about moving back to the left.  

He had off-season knee surgery. He was on a pitch count during training camp.  He wasn’t happy being moved to RT but he did it for the team. 

2 hours ago, Jets723 said:

Yeah right now that’s been brutal.  Feels like Mo Wilkerson 2.0..  the second he got the contract he literally just showed up and out a jersey on but that’s about it.  But I forgot he stated showing up late in the first year of the contract ? 

Mo wilkerson, when actually caring, was actually an impact player. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, southparkcpa said:

I never saw it that way.... padded stats in games that didn't matter is what I remember most. Then after he hit the lotto?  He looked like Becton. Fatter and slower.

At least this one isn't $37MM over 2 seasons, when the cap ceiling was $155MM not $208MM. This one was a mere $15MM guaranteed at signing. 

J!

7 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

I never saw it that way.... padded stats in games that didn't matter is what I remember most. Then after he hit the lotto?  He looked like Becton. Fatter and slower.

Totally disagree, he played great his contract year and half of most other years.  He was fat and lazy by nature but when motivated he was actually good, unlike all of our other DT hersos (Leo williams, Quinnen)

He had years of 10.5 and 12 sacks from DT.  Knowing this, his extension was stupid because he showed in many years he played when he felt like but he had some really good periods of time.