(Rumor) Jets Steal T Cedeic Ogbuehi From Texans

jetsrule128

Wow...Must be slim pickings if we're 'stealing' this guy who sounds like an injury ready to happen.  

At some point I have to wonder if the NYJ consider moving AVT to OT temporarily as they have more OG depth than OT depth and AVT has always been touted as being athletic enough to play OT and played LT in college.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

Wow...Must be slim pickings if we're 'stealing' this guy who sounds like an injury ready to happen.  

At some point I have to wonder if the NYJ consider moving AVT to OT temporarily as they have more OG depth than OT depth and AVT has always been touted as being athletic enough to play OT and played LT in college.

It seems they’re against it but ultimately that could be the easiest fix if they have better backup G options.

38 minutes ago, BallinPB said:

Not sure I would classify this as a "steal" but it's good that JD is at least taking some action here.  

He has no choice.  Putting his complete faith in Becton has completely backfired.  If ZW does in fact return and he does nothing leaving McDermott on the left side(which basically means no one on the left side) that means Zach is going to have to run for his life literally every snap coming off a injury 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Warfish said:

The O-line may be the single most poorly mismanaged position in the JD Era.

You may be right.  So far the AVT and Mitchell picks have been very solid  but that’s about it.  Obviously I’m not ready to deem the Tomlinson signing as bad since it’s only 3 games with all the injuries on the line but it’s certainly off to a rough start 

28 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

How does signing a player off another team's PS work?  Can anyone just sign another team's player?  Is there any compensation?  

Any team can sign a PS guy from any team. They have to be signed to the active roster, not the signing team's PS. No compensation is paid to the team that loses a PS player.

• Upvote 1

Ogbuehi is a right tackle at this point.  think the signings suggest the following;

1) Can’t be good news about Duane Brown, perhaps he’s not healing.

2). Same about Fant, who may be shut down for a bit. 

3). Left tackle options are Mitchell,  (he was supposed to be a swing tackle) AVT or Remmers (but he is on PS right now). 

4) Right tackle, let Mitchell stay, Ogbuehi, or AVT.

I’d move AVT out wide and plug in Hrbig at guard.  Cannot count on McDermott.  He’s a turnstile 

28 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

You may be right.  So far the AVT and Mitchell picks have been very solid  but that’s about it.  

The Becton pick looked great after his first season.

Obviously I’m not ready to deem the Tomlinson signing as bad since it’s only 3 games with all the injuries on the line but it’s certainly off to a rough start

It's not any one thing, it's the management of the unit as a whole.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

The Becton pick looked great after his first season.

It's not any one thing, it's the management of the unit as a whole.

No doubt about it.  It’s a shame what has happened.  My only issue is that I felt he should’ve had insurance even before Becton got hurt again 

5 minutes ago, Phillyjet said:

Ogbuehi is a right tackle at this point.  think the signings suggest the following;

3). Left tackle options are Mitchell,  (he was supposed to be a swing tackle) AVT or Remmers (but he is on PS right now). 

I’d move AVT out wide and plug in Hrbig at guard.  Cannot count on McDermott.  He’s a turnstile 

It seems they've no interest in kicking AVT outside, otherwise they'd be adding at least one guard, not exclusively adding tackles. Could be they don't want to interrupt his growth as a guard; could be they did try it out in practice and determined it'd be making them weak at 2 OL positions instead of just 1. Whichever it is, I'm sure they're not oblivious to the reality that he was also a tackle in college. 

I didn't like re-upping McDermott from the day it was done. The only theoretical reason is to keep the better of a competition between him & Edoga. Then, because they didn't consider the more realistic, non-theoretical reasoning that they're both terrible and unworthy of keeping around, they ended up cutting both lol. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Phillyjet said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if Brown never plays.  One more paycheck before retirement 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jets723 said:

No doubt about it.  It’s a shame what has happened.  My only issue is that I felt he should’ve had insurance even before Becton got hurt again 

Well he did look into it with two veteran starters. One (Reiff) signed elsewhere. The other hadn't signed yet, I'm sure over money. Because Becton couldn't last just one more week before going on IR, Brown was brought in at a higher amount than JD likely wanted for a guy who was to walk in as insurance rather than a starter. 

Truth is even with Becton going on IR, followed by Brown going on in-season IR a blink of an eye later, if Fant was on the field playing as he did in '21 we wouldn't have a tackle issue right now. They literally lost 2 starting tackles in August, followed by a 3rd starting tackle before week 3 was up. With Brown - whom he wanted to sign before Becton went on IR - the Jets were 4-deep at tackle. 

KC lost their 2nd OT right before the SB and that excused Pat Mahomes from posting a Joe Flacco stat line in the big game.

It sucks, but no one's 5-deep with tackles with true NFL starting ability. Hopefully Brown returns sooner rather than later.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Well he did look into it with two veteran starters. One (Reiff) signed elsewhere. The other hadn't signed yet, I'm sure over money. Because Becton couldn't last just one more week before going on IR, Brown was brought in at a higher amount than JD likely wanted for a guy who was to walk in as insurance rather than a starter. 

Truth is even with Becton going on IR, followed by Brown going on in-season IR a blink of an eye later, if Fant was on the field playing as he did in '21 we wouldn't have a tackle issue right now. They literally lost 2 starting tackles in August, followed by a 3rd starting tackle before week 3 was up. With Brown - whom he wanted to sign before Becton went on IR - the Jets were 4-deep at tackle. 

KC lost their 2nd OT right before the SB and that excused Pat Mahomes from posting a Joe Flacco stat line in the big game.

It sucks, but no one's 5-deep with tackles with true NFL starting ability. Hopefully Brown returns sooner rather than later.

Fair.  There is no doubt injuries have really hurt us.  On one hand Brown has been very durable but at the same time he is 38 which is old for a OL.  Yes Fant not playing well has made it worse 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

Fair.  There is no doubt injuries have really hurt us.  On one hand Brown has been very durable but at the same time he is 38 which is old for a OL.  Yes Fant not playing well has made it worse 

Yeah definitely. How does a team (even the NYJ) lose 3 starting tackles - all of whom project to the blind side - in a month?

Funny I do see a bunch of clamming up on the subject, among all those who thought it was a no-brainer to extend Fant up until yesterday. 

It totally blows, but if there was an offseason to roll the dice on it this was it. The # of veteran starting tackles available in FA - and not for crazy, crazy dollars - was unusual to say the least.

• Becton was in no way rushed back; he was given full healing time plus another 9 months after that ffs. 
  • Fant was sulking about not getting an extension all offseason. Meanwhile he'd apparently been still nursing an injury from last season, too, so had Douglas given in it'd be even more justified criticism lofted his way. Then Fant has to get pulled because he was looking more like Adrien Clarke than the guy who only gave up 1 sack last season.
  • Brown's age aside, he was a pro bowler with 17 starts last year. This year he doesn't last 17 days. 

At least Mitchell looks serviceable at worst so far. I wouldn't go so far as to anoint him a long-term starter at RT just yet, but if he continues to improve and solidifies himself there it'll be a huge help & would be less to throw at the position come springtime. I have to remind myself he was supposed to be raw & wasn't expected to be ready to start as a rookie in the first place, let alone from week 1.

The way things are going, unless Brown retires, it looks like they'll bring back Brown, Becton, obviously Mitchell, and will surely draft at least one more.