Jump to content

(Rumor) Jets Steal T Cedeic Ogbuehi From Texans


jetsrule128
 Share

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Yeah definitely. How does a team (even the NYJ) lose 3 starting tackles - all of whom project to the blind side - in a month?

Funny I do see a bunch of clamming up on the subject, among all those who thought it was a no-brainer to extend Fant up until yesterday. 

It totally blows, but if there was an offseason to roll the dice on it this was it. The # of veteran starting tackles available in FA - and not for crazy, crazy dollars - was unusual to say the least.

  • Becton was in no way rushed back; he was given full healing time plus another 9 months after that ffs. 
  • Fant was sulking about not getting an extension all offseason. Meanwhile he'd apparently been still nursing an injury from last season, too, so had Douglas given in it'd be even more justified criticism lofted his way. Then Fant has to get pulled because he was looking more like Adrien Clarke than the guy who only gave up 1 sack last season.
  • Brown's age aside, he was a pro bowler with 17 starts last year. This year he doesn't last 17 days. 

At least Mitchell looks serviceable at worst so far. I wouldn't go so far as to anoint him a long-term starter at RT just yet, but if he continues to improve and solidifies himself there it'll be a huge help & would be less to throw at the position come springtime. I have to remind myself he was supposed to be raw & wasn't expected to be ready to start as a rookie in the first place, let alone from week 1.

The way things are going, unless Brown retires, it looks like they'll bring back Brown, Becton, obviously Mitchell, and will surely draft at least one more. 

Fant has never played a full season w/o injury from what I remember...so there is that as well

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

Any team can sign a PS guy from any team. They have to be signed to the active roster, not the signing team's PS. No compensation is paid to the team that loses a PS player.

What's the benefit of having a player on your PS then?  Just to train them in your system should they be needed?  If so, isn't that a double-edged sword if an opponent wants inside info on your team?  If not, how do these guys differ from UFAs?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

The O-line may be the single most poorly mismanaged position in the JD Era.

i'm not seeing this.  true it hasn't gone very well but sometimes the injuries get too much.  and the main problem is still that the oline hasn't been able to play many games as a unit.  the few times the same group was able to string together a few games they did a whole lot better.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, rangerous said:

i'm not seeing this. 

Is the line better today than when JD was hired?

1 minute ago, rangerous said:

true it hasn't gone very well but sometimes the injuries get too much.  and the main problem is still that the oline hasn't been able to play many games as a unit.  the few times the same group was able to string together a few games they did a whole lot better.

Why haven't they played many games as a unit?

Could it because we've had several players who can't stay healthy, several players who weren't good enough to play, and and endless assortment of fill in's, temporary signings, short-termers and worse?

Maybe you are seeing it, and just don't want to admit it.

Throwing 100 darts at a dartboard while blindfolded does not = proper management of playing darts.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Yeah definitely. How does a team (even the NYJ) lose 3 starting tackles - all of whom project to the blind side - in a month?

Funny I do see a bunch of clamming up on the subject, among all those who thought it was a no-brainer to extend Fant up until yesterday. 

It totally blows, but if there was an offseason to roll the dice on it this was it. The # of veteran starting tackles available in FA - and not for crazy, crazy dollars - was unusual to say the least.

  • Becton was in no way rushed back; he was given full healing time plus another 9 months after that ffs. 
  • Fant was sulking about not getting an extension all offseason. Meanwhile he'd apparently been still nursing an injury from last season, too, so had Douglas given in it'd be even more justified criticism lofted his way. Then Fant has to get pulled because he was looking more like Adrien Clarke than the guy who only gave up 1 sack last season.
  • Brown's age aside, he was a pro bowler with 17 starts last year. This year he doesn't last 17 days. 

At least Mitchell looks serviceable at worst so far. I wouldn't go so far as to anoint him a long-term starter at RT just yet, but if he continues to improve and solidifies himself there it'll be a huge help & would be less to throw at the position come springtime. I have to remind myself he was supposed to be raw & wasn't expected to be ready to start as a rookie in the first place, let alone from week 1.

The way things are going, unless Brown retires, it looks like they'll bring back Brown, Becton, obviously Mitchell, and will surely draft at least one more. 

It's hard to overstate how much of a whiff Becton was in 2020.  Wirfs, who I think the majority of this board was in favor of at the time, was considered to be a pretty rock solid and safe pick.  Becton was the home run swing, and that whiff will continue to have reverberations.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, nj meadowlands said:

It's hard to overstate how much of a whiff Becton was in 2020.  Wirfs, who I think the majority of this board was in favor of at the time, was considered to be a pretty rock solid and safe pick.  Becton was the home run swing, and that whiff will continue to have reverberations.

It's true.  I wanted Becton over Wirfs.  Joe Thomas had him #1 which got me excited, and I definitely wanted a LT over a RT.

Becton's been a whiff but I don't see a way we'll keep Fant next year simply because we already have 3 Tackles under contract between Brown, Becton and Mitchell.  

Fant will be looking for a decent payday and JD isn't going to give it to him.  Though his value has certainly tanked after what he's put on tape thus far in 2022.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, 92ShaunEllis92 said:

This is the same former highly touted Texas A&M player some predicted was a possible #1 overall OT and he fell to Bengals in top 20 after an ACL injury?

 

edit: yup. #21 overall in 2015. No 5th year option, journey man since 

Correct. His draft reports mentioned freak athletic traits. 5.0 forty. 7’ wingspan. Just never put it together. Could be a fit for Jets blocking scheme. Just be avg, Ced. 
 

https://draftscout.com/dsprofile.php?PlayerId=110963&DraftYear=2015

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

With the money they've now shelled out for Duane Brown, it's hard not to think JD screwed this up by not paying Moses what he wanted.  JD has done great things replenishing the roster, but sometimes gets too cute with sticking to a price.  If he wasn't going oline in round 1, he should have made sure he resigned Moses as insurance.  Even if that cost him a couple of extra mil. 

  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Is the line better today than when JD was hired?

Why haven't they played many games as a unit?

Could it because we've had several players who can't stay healthy, several players who weren't good enough to play, and and endless assortment of fill in's, temporary signings, short-termers and worse?

Maybe you are seeing it, and just don't want to admit it.

Throwing 100 darts at a dartboard while blindfolded does not = proper management of playing darts.

i don't think you can blame the injuries on douglas unless he deliberately drafted china dolls.  i don't think anyone expected becton to be injured as much as he is.  and this is what's keeping the oline from playing well.  if you want to blame saleh and his coaches, that's fine.  they're the ones who put the players in position and deal with the injuries.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, David Harris said:

It's true.  I wanted Becton over Wirfs.  Joe Thomas had him #1 which got me excited, and I definitely wanted a LT over a RT.

Becton's been a whiff but I don't see a way we'll keep Fant next year simply because we already have 3 Tackles under contract between Brown, Becton and Mitchell.  

Fant will be looking for a decent payday and JD isn't going to give it to him.  Though his value has certainly tanked after what he's put on tape thus far in 2022.

Good points.  Complete mystery what they will do at tackle next year.  I agree with letting Fant walk if he's looking for an unreasonable payday, in light of his performance and injury woes so far.  But you can't rely on Brown or Becton either, for obvious reasons.  

I would think the Vegas favorite is that we go back to the well at tackle in the first round, which sucks considering (1) all of our other needs (perhaps even at quarterback) and (2) the draft capital Douglas has already spent on the line.

Taking a look at the 2022-23 free agent tackle market just now didn't make me feel any better.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

What's the benefit of having a player on your PS then?  Just to train them in your system should they be needed?  If so, isn't that a double-edged sword if an opponent wants inside info on your team?  If not, how do these guys differ from UFAs?

Yes. If a team signs them off another teams PS they need to be on that teams 53 man roster for 3 games or get paid the equivalent of 3 games (at least it was this way pre-covid roster rules)  

There is a cutoff time a team can sign a player off that weeks opponent PS. I think it’s Tuesday. Teams are usually off Tuesdays and that weeks game plan doesn’t get to the players until Wednesdays practice. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Phillyjet said:

With the money they've now shelled out for Duane Brown, it's hard not to think JD screwed this up by not paying Moses what he wanted.  JD has done great things replenishing the roster, but sometimes gets too cute with sticking to a price.  If he wasn't going oline in round 1, he should have made sure he resigned Moses as insurance.  Even if that cost him a couple of extra mil. 

Moses was a RT only

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, rangerous said:

i don't think you can blame the injuries on douglas unless he deliberately drafted china dolls.  i don't think anyone expected becton to be injured as much as he is.  and this is what's keeping the oline from playing well.  if you want to blame saleh and his coaches, that's fine.  they're the ones who put the players in position and deal with the injuries.

Also don’t forgot ‘20 4th rd pick OT Cam Clark. Highly rated smaller school OT. 

Becton deserves some blame too for not losing the weight & coming in shape June. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Phillyjet said:

With the money they've now shelled out for Duane Brown, it's hard not to think JD screwed this up by not paying Moses what he wanted.  JD has done great things replenishing the roster, but sometimes gets too cute with sticking to a price.  If he wasn't going oline in round 1, he should have made sure he resigned Moses as insurance.  Even if that cost him a couple of extra mil. 

We didn’t have to go line in Rd 1.  In fact Mitchell has outplayed both Neal and Icky

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Yes. If a team signs them off another teams PS they need to be on that teams 53 man roster for 3 games or get paid the equivalent of 3 games (at least it was this way pre-covid roster rules)  

There is a cutoff time a team can sign a player off that weeks opponent PS. I think it’s Tuesday. Teams are usually off Tuesdays and that weeks game plan doesn’t get to the players until Wednesdays practice. 

But how does that serve the team that loses the player off of their PS?  What's the benefit?

  • WTF? 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

The O-line may be the single most poorly mismanaged position in the JD Era.

I get the frustration- Everybody was expecting the oline to be a strength and with the injuries , it hasnt been.    

But he has made it a priority to sign and draft good players as opposed to the last 3 GMs so I dont get the sentiment.


Its the NFL which is a league of injuries and attrition-  If Becton Brown and Fant are healthy,  would you still be saying this?

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Is the line better today than when JD was hired?

Why haven't they played many games as a unit?

Could it because we've had several players who can't stay healthy, several players who weren't good enough to play, and and endless assortment of fill in's, temporary signings, short-termers and worse?

Maybe you are seeing it, and just don't want to admit it.

Throwing 100 darts at a dartboard while blindfolded does not = proper management of playing darts.

Is it not? Is the OL we have now not better than Beachum, Alex Lewis, Harrison, Winters, Shell ?? 

Idk about you but i'd much rather have what we have now then that. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

We didn’t have to go line in Rd 1.  In fact Mitchell has outplayed both Neal and Icky

So far. Icky is playing LT.  Mitchell though has played well. 
 
People are always going second guess. If Jets went OT in the 1st, passed on Wilson, all the OTs remained healthy and Davis and Moore went down with injuries. They’d be here today telling everyone “I told you the Jets should have passed on an OT who is now sitting on the bench and picked Wilson”. 

  • Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, rangerous said:

i don't think you can blame the injuries on douglas unless he deliberately drafted china dolls.  i don't think anyone expected becton to be injured as much as he is.  and this is what's keeping the oline from playing well.  if you want to blame saleh and his coaches, that's fine.  they're the ones who put the players in position and deal with the injuries.

It's not about blame, it's about responsibility.

The O-line today is worse than it was when JD got here.

He IS responsible for that.  

I always find it amazing when units or teams are horrible, and some fans seem to think no one bears any responsibility for it.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

But how does that serve the team that loses the player off of their PS?  What's the benefit?

They could sign him to their 53 if they don’t want to lose him. 
 
They had that player for practice for x weeks. 

Guess I’m not understanding what you’re asking. It’s been this way for years…After final Sept cuts, all players had to go through waivers before they could be signed to any teams PS. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, nj meadowlands said:

It's hard to overstate how much of a whiff Becton was in 2020.  Wirfs, who I think the majority of this board was in favor of at the time, was considered to be a pretty rock solid and safe pick.  Becton was the home run swing, and that whiff will continue to have reverberations.

I don't think you'll find any person to argue with that 2 years later.

But for this offseason they were in the position they were in this year, not the position they were in 2 years earlier. 

If we're going to play that game then I can think of bigger team-changers, addressing a then-current team need, than still lamenting the Bucs' right tackle. I'd start with Pat Mahomes over a ****ing safety, while the team's prior-season dead-end QB was unsigned, the 2nd rounder from the prior year couldn't earn the QB3 spot over the year-before's 4th round bust who couldn't throw a football, and Geno was entering the final season of his bag-on-head rookie contract. And we took a safety; knowing we'd waste that season on the hopes the following year we could somehow luck into the QB they ended up getting, who also sucked & wasted 3 more seasons.

Why the hell do we all still watch this team? All I can think of is maybe it makes our non-football world seem not so bad in comparison. Other than that I've got nothing. 

Anyway, they'd still suck with Wirfs. No doubt they'd be better, but they'd still stink.

  • Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, C Mart said:

They could sign him to their 53 if they don’t want to lose him. 
 
They had that player for practice for x weeks. 

Guess I’m not understanding what you’re asking. It’s been this way for years…

After final Sept cuts, all players had to go through waivers before they could be signed to any teams PS. 

Are you saying that the Texans had the right to sign Ogbuehi to their active roster after the Jets tried to sign him?  So having a player on your PS is similar to an RFA?

  • WTF? 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

But how does that serve the team that loses the player off of their PS?  What's the benefit?

There is no benefit to the team that loses the player off the PS. The team benefitted in having the player as depth at a fraction of the 53man roster salary and not taking up an active roster spot. They had a spare piece for their system on the cheap, that benefit to the team ends when the player is plucked from PS by another team. 

9 minutes ago, C Mart said:

They could sign him to their 53 if they don’t want to lose him. 
 
They had that player for practice for x weeks. 

Guess I’m not understanding what you’re asking. It’s been this way for years…

After final Sept cuts, all players had to go through waivers before they could be signed to any teams PS. 
 

+1 

The only difference is that anyone could be placed on the PS as opposed to before it was guys under 3 years and not vetted due to active for a certain amount of games - IIRC

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Are you saying that the Texans had the right to sign Ogbuehi to their active roster after the Jets tried to sign him?  So having a player on your PS is similar to an RFA?

No. Teams know when another team is interested in signing one of their PS players. I don’t know all the little details like do the Jets call Texans or does the players agent do it. I don’t know. But they know. So if they really don’t want to lose that player they can sign him to their 53. 
 

What is your main question?  Just why should a team have a guy on their PS if they can lose him for nothing?

Maybe this article will help

https://www.milehighreport.com/platform/amp/2022/8/31/23330743/nfl-practice-squad-rules-2022

And don’t forget this is basically just a 3 week transaction. 
 

In the Jets case if Fant and/or Brown get healthy and the Jets feel they don’t need Ogbuehi they can waive him. 

If he clears, the Texans, Jets or any other team can then sign him to their PS. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, 92ShaunEllis92 said:

There is no benefit to the team that loses the player off the PS. The team benefitted in having the player as depth at a fraction of the 53man roster salary and not taking up an active roster spot. They had a spare piece for their system on the cheap, that benefit to the team ends when the player is plucked from PS by another team. 

+1 

The only difference is that anyone could be placed on the PS as opposed to before it was guys under 3 years and not vetted due to active for a certain amount of games - IIRC

I didn’t want to go too far in the weeds. But you’re correct in that a 10 yr vet can be signed to a PS. For example Remmers.  

I think a team can sign up to 6 vested veterans to their PS. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

The O-line may be the single most poorly mismanaged position in the JD Era.

Yes, and no.

I honestly think that sometimes when a person played a particular position in either college or the pros, it might put blinders on them.  This could be the case with JD.

There are things to question.  Especially this year going all in with the health of Becton.  

There has been some good:  Drafting AVT was good.  Drafting Mitchell was good. Signing McGovern was good.  Signing Tomlinson was good.  Signing Fant was good. And Cameron Clark looked like a good prospect, but the guy gets a career ending injury.  

Duane Brown was a good signing.  And yet again, another injury.

But the depth has been lacking.  And we should have more developmental players on the line.  Maybe this team was REALLY worse than anyone thought.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, C Mart said:

No. Teams know when another team is interested in signing one of their PS players. I don’t know all the little details like do the Jets call Texans or does the players agent do it. I don’t know. But they know. So if they really don’t want to lose that player they can sign him to their 53. 
 

What is your main question?  Just why should a team have a guy on their PS if they can lose him for nothing?

Maybe this article will help

https://www.milehighreport.com/platform/amp/2022/8/31/23330743/nfl-practice-squad-rules-2022

 

Thank you for the link.  Looks like teams do have some control:

image.png.ef4cb896b5b248727cc1c3c96b636601.png

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Jets723 said:

We didn’t have to go line in Rd 1.  In fact Mitchell has outplayed both Neal and Icky

That's fine, all I'm saying is if you aren't going line in Round 1, then why not bring back Moses, still ok with Mitchell, and have Becton battle for the LT and RT position; he was never a guaranteed return anyway.  Moses wasn't long term money, and we ended having to outspend for a guy now that may never play for the Jets.  He should have been piling depth at tackle, even if it cost him a little extra to do it.  Now, we are pretty screwed. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, jetsrule128 said:

We have to cut 2 people for them 

 

who we cutting ? 

Remmers is on PS so cut a PS player.  If Zach is back they could cut Stevers from PS

Depending on Fant’s or QWilliams injury timeline one of them (or both) could go on IR and be out 4 games. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share




×
×
  • Create New...