League Worst Defensive DVOA After 3 Weeks (update: now 6th best)

1 minute ago, jgb said:

With Fant going down, even more pressure/spotlight on the defense. This is starting to smell like the end of Saleh...

At some point he needs to be able to hang his hat on either the development of Wilson or "his" defense. For now,  he has neither. 

Daboll took over a team with a awful QB, no WRs or TE and not much talent on defense and he's coaching his way to wins and competitive games. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

At some point he needs to be able to hang his hat on either the development of Wilson or "his" defense. For now,  he has neither. 

Daboll took over a team with a awful QB, no WRs or TE and not much talent on defense and he's coaching his way to wins and competitive games. 

Jones is still awful, they drafted a WR in the first last year and signed one of the top FA WRs in Golladay, then drafted another WR/RB in Robinson, while already having Slayton and Barkley.

That team is bad for sure, but let's not pretend this is 2021 Jets. Saleh needs to show growth or he should be on the hot seat in 2023.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Jones is still awful, they drafted a WR in the first last year and signed one of the top FA WRs in Golladay, then drafted another WR/RB in Robinson, while already having Slayton and Barkley.

That team is bad for sure, but let's not pretend this is 2021 Jets. Saleh needs to show growth or he should be on the hot seat in 2023.

On the hot seat in 2023?

Lmfaooo 

he needs to be shot directly into the sun after this season, how much more terrible football and losing you need to see? 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, The Crusher said:

I’ve yet to see these clowns put a single player in a position to succeed at a consistent level. Wilson had a great game against the Browns because Joe Flacco had a Priest in Caddy Shack round of golf level  performance. This week? Joe got struck by the lightning. I truly feel bad for all these talented kids they have drafted. I do. 

It is sad. And now, apparently, the MetLife turf is a death sentence?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Re: this. On the Athletic pod with Rosenblatt, he says that the sense in the building is that the defense is better than the stats indicate and they don’t understand why anyone would be panicking. 

Will go down with famous last words such as:

General Custer: Surrender! We have you surrounded.

or

Titanic Captain Edward Smith: This ship is unsink--*glup glub*.

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Re: this. On the Athletic pod with Rosenblatt, he says that the sense in the building is that the defense is better than the stats indicate and they don’t understand why anyone would be panicking. 

I can’t actually believe this is the case but if it’s true then it’s over for them.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

It is sad. And now, apparently, the MetLife turf is a death sentence?

That turf might’ve saved his career if he can milk it to take a redshirt year and get sent to the Seahawks next off season by “JD THA MASTER TRADER.”

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

So all the bad teams in the league should have great garbage time stats.  As I said our offense is not great but the D is ridiculously awful for the talent, resources and hot shot coaching.

he didn't say that did he ..he simply stated that most of the "good" stats are in garbage time when the the team is letting us go down the field. 

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Sauce & JD are the only two pieces that show up each week. 

What a disaster Lawson has been. I swear all of his "pressures" go like this -,

• Upon snap, go "full simple jack" right into the LT
  • Run play? give up edge
  • Pass play? there is no second move
  • screen play? right behind you

If this guy was dominating Becton all camp last year, then Becton never could play tackle in this league, and therefore, by the transitive property of suckage, JD sucks even more for failing so glaringly on edge and edge protector. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, AZSOJ said:

he didn't say that did he ..he simply stated that most of the "good" stats are in garbage time when the the team is letting us go down the field. 

Yes and i simply said there are 16 games a week and about half of them have garbage time.  So take our 9th in yards and expect to see al the trash teams up there with us. 

Also who cares if it is garbage time?  The object of the game is to move the ball and score which they seem to do in garbage time.  Unlike our defense that stinks from snap one to the last snap of the game.

10 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I listened to it and holy f*ck.

I hope this is just posturing because if this is the actual feeling within the team then we're lost. 

The "positive vibes only" schtick should have been a warning sign. This coaching staff is terrified of having difficult conversations and holding people accountable. He should be gone already but Ulbrich has to be coaching for his job on Sunday. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

I don't know how LaMarcus Joyner is on an NFL roster, let alone a starting safety. He is all sorts of awful in coverage and tackling, and somehow Whitehead may be worse thus far.

I remember watching the preseason games thinking, "Oh, we're just playing soft zone and keeping it vanilla because it's the preseason". Turns out that's actually our defensive approach, mixed in with zero pass rush and critical miscommunication issues.

There is plenty of talent on this unit and there is no reason it's floor shouldn't be a middle of the pack defense. If a shakeup will be made there's no doubt it'll be Ulbrich being fired. 

Just now, Biggs said:

I still think the D is playing better than last year by a lot.  

The difference with both units this year compared to so many prior years is that you can finally see individual talent, like sauce and garrett.  The more guys like moore, mitchell, reed, etc, you see making good plays, the more likely the conclusion that coaching is the blame.  For the offense, the question is, will wilson and any other LT be significantly better than fant and flacco?  For the defense, there’s a real coaching issue that i doubt will be fixed quickly.

On 9/27/2022 at 7:55 PM, oatmeal said:

On the hot seat in 2023?

Lmfaooo 

he needs to be shot directly into the sun after this season, how much more terrible football and losing you need to see? 

How many players/coaches want to come to a team that cycles through coaches every 2 years? It's bad for all their careers.

If you get the opportunity for a bona-fide proven coach then by all means pull the trigger, otherwise I think it's wise to wait til after year 3.

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

I listened to it and holy f*ck.

I hope this is just posturing because if this is the actual feeling within the team then we're lost. 

The "positive vibes only" schtick should have been a warning sign. This coaching staff is terrified of having difficult conversations and holding people accountable. He should be gone already but Ulbrich has to be coaching for his job on Sunday. 

Ulbrich is his buddy and he’s not gonna embarrass his buddy. 

• Upvote 3

36 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

How many players/coaches want to come to a team that cycles through coaches every 2 years? It's bad for all their careers.

If you get the opportunity for a bona-fide proven coach then by all means pull the trigger, otherwise I think it's wise to wait til after year 3.

You know who they could get to replace Saleh if they wanted? Jon Gruden. 

On 9/27/2022 at 6:27 PM, T0mShane said:

That really is a death knell, the old we don't stink the numbers just say we stink. 

Last year after 3 or 4 games LaFleur came out and said it was not working and he needed to reevaluate and of course move up into the box.  Since that time the offense has been much better.

With defense we get the stubbonn it worked in Sf so it will work here when it is not working,

• Sympathy 1

42 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

This is correct people can hollar all they want for the coaches to be canned no chance anyone goes other than maybe a coordinator until into next year, no matter what our record is.

• Upvote 2