League Worst Defensive DVOA After 3 Weeks (update: now 6th best)

17 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

That really is a death knell, the old we don't stink the numbers just say we stink. 

Last year after 3 or 4 games LaFleur came out and said it was not working and he needed to reevaluate and of course move up into the box.  Since that time the offense has been much better.

With defense we get the stubbonn it worked in Sf so it will work here when it is not working,

The Steelers offense averages less than 16 ppg. You’d have to think if the Jets get lit up by Trubisky and that slug Najee Harris, there’ll have to be some sort of intervention ahead. 

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The Steelers offense averages less than 16 ppg. You’d have to think if the Jets get lit up by Trubisky and that slug Najee Harris, there’ll have to be some sort of intervention ahead. 

I can’t stress enough how much more important the Jets coaching is than whether or not Zach is their FQB or not. Salad and the defense are so disgusting. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Creepy Lurker said:

I can’t stress enough how much more important the Jets coaching is than whether or not Zach is their FQB or not. Salad and the defense are so disgusting. 

He definitely needs to actively take control of the organization right now. I don’t think he knows how close he is to being the next Matt Rhule coach-in-the-barrel. @Steelers, Miami at home, then @Broncos, @Packers, Pats, Bills, @Pats, then the BYE. That’s a real shot at being an ugly 1-9. I don’t know what he can do, but if his plan is to hope Zach Wilson saves him, he may as well apply to Ypsilanti High for their LB coach position next Fall

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, SickJetFan said:

I dont believe he knew him that well before he hired him..tho i read some where

The Little Flower on the other hand is Saleh's little pet kitten.

IIRC, Saleh and Ulbrich knew each other from the Seahawks coaching staff. Saleh is best friends with Matt LaFleur.

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

He definitely needs to actively take control of the organization right now. I don’t think he knows how close he is to being the next Matt Rhule coach-in-the-barrel. @Steelers, Miami at home, then @Broncos, @Packers, Pats, Bills, @Pats, then the BYE. That’s a real shot at being an ugly 1-9. I don’t know what he can do, but if his plan is to hope Zach Wilson saves him, he may as well apply to Ypsilanti High for their LB coach position next Fall

Just looked and noticed that Jets ticket prices on the secondary market are in free fall, especially when compared to ticket prices on the road. Ominous sign. This is the language that Woody speaks 

• Upvote 1

On 9/27/2022 at 10:17 AM, dbatesman said:

I don’t know if this fixes anything, but Ulbrich needs to be fired, or at least demoted. Read this and tell me it doesn’t make you want to claw your own eyes out: 

D7640489-7816-47A7-A0C8-77909B3AD8D9.thumb.jpeg.eb92aad56b03e5aef06b9b25e74aece2.jpegWait a second, are you plagiarizing lines from “One Flew Over the Kuku’s Nest”?

You read something like that, now I’m convinced, this is All Deliberate, the Owners might be sadists, signing paychecks to “coaches” like this.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/27/2022 at 10:31 AM, Barry McCockinner said:

This is after drafting a shut down corner at #4 and adding another high end corner in free agency.

This just screams incompetence to me.

edit: linking for those who aren't familiar with dvoa

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/nfl/team-defense/2022/regular

Is it still screaming incompetence?

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

Be prepared to flip these after the next Jets loss.

To be fair the defense was ass all last year and continued that trend into week 3 of this year. It's not like people were basing their opinions on one bad week or something. It has really taken a total 180 from there to the point of now looking dominant. I can't remember a faster turn around for a unit.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

To be fair the defense was ass all last year and continued that trend into week 3 of this year. It's not like people were basing their opinions on one bad week or something. It has really taken a total 180 from there to the point of now looking dominant. I can't remember a faster turn around for a unit.

Saleh said after the game on Sunday that he thought the Jets defense has generally played well in every game other than the Browns game. 

Although I think that is an exaggeration, it is worth noting that we only gave up 7 to Cincy in the second half and really only gave up a couple of big plays to Baltimore and actually outgained them from scrimmage in both halves. So, maybe the coaches saw reason for optimism. 

I'm sorry, but it's also not a coincidence that they are playing QW more. 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Saleh said after the game on Sunday that he thought the Jets defense has generally played well in every game other than the Browns game. 

Although I think that is an exaggeration, it is worth noting that we only gave up 7 to Cincy in the second half and really only gave up a couple of big plays to Baltimore and actually outgained them from scrimmage in both halves. So, maybe the coaches saw reason for optimism. 

I'm sorry, but it's also not a coincidence that they are playing QW more. 

Obviously they see the game differently and know a lot more than we do. Based on how quickly they turned it around he was probably right the whole time. Hard for us to see it given the trend and lack of inside knowledge.

• Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Obviously they see the game differently and know a lot more than we do. Based on how quickly they turned it around he was probably right the whole time. Hard for us to see it given the trend and lack of inside knowledge.

Yeah, the thing about football is that a play can be completely destroyed if one guy doesn't do his job. And there are 22 guys on the field at any one time. So, it's hard to evaluate. 

Incidentally, that is my biggest criticism with relying too heavily on summary statistics like QBR, DVOA, etc. They are a great idea, but probably aren't very good at adequately summarizing a game with so many moving parts. 

• Upvote 2

Saleh and Ulbrich were very very stubborn. Insanely stubborn. They had a "system" and rheu were sticking to it. 

Soft Cover 3, where 6 or 7 "checks" was ok. 

Strict adherence to a rotational concept that limited each of the DL snaps including Qs dramatically to the point they didn't even activate Huff.

Then 2 things happened. Q got all passed off about not getting more reps, and after Sauce was confused by 2 checks to pass off a player and DJ Reed exploded about the communication

And finally Daleh listened.

He got rid of off coverage Cover 3.

Called man more...duh Sauce and Reed are elite at man

He modified the rotation so Q gets many more snaps.

He started playing Huff, who despite not having gaudy stats is seriously disruptive.

He put Sauce in charge of secondary calls

And all of a sudden by tailoring the defense to your best players it becomes close to elite. 

But make no mistake had the players not revolted Saleh would have not changed. Here's hoping he has changed for good

• Upvote 1

The bottom line with this whole thread is the incredible lack of patience. 

Its a 2nd year coach

a 2nd year QB

a slew of rookies and 2nd year guys.

Half this board wanted to fire Saleh based on his 18th game as a head coach. You cant even think of firing before 2 full years and even that is premature. Zach didnt even get 18 games before the hook was called in. Things take time and thats the difference between an older fan that has more life experience vs the younger, more reactionary type.

I dont blame you guys that are in your mid 20's but if your over 35 shame on you for reals.

We may go into a 2 or 3 game losing streaK NOW. and thats OK> In the end there has been a TON of growth and I dont see how we can finish with less than an 8-8 record. Which is a BIG jump. be patient!

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

2 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Up to 10th after week 7.

1. buf   
  2. dal   
  3. den  
  4. phi   
  5. tb    
  6. cin   
  7. sf    
  8. lar   
  9. ne   
  10. nyj  

Check

@Jetsfan80 where we at on point differential?

I know we need to pick up the Garrett Wilson targets for sure but if we have 2 of the 3, we have the playoff committee's attention. 

• Haha 2

Glad Saleh and Ulbrich listened to us geniuses.  More man, more Q, more Huff, more JFM rushing from the inside.

Tailor the system to your strengths and play your best players more ... at the same time.  

Take the ball first instead of deferring until the 2nd half .. and try to jump out to a lead.

Revert from tendencies and attack other teams' tendencies.

I'm extremely happy with where we are now but let's not pretend Ulbrich wasn't too tied to his way of doing things before some impactful changes that might have been forced on him.

• 4 weeks later...