Don’t expect Zach Wilson to be Jets’ savior in return

32 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

Well we can agree that Fant has been awful...but he is/was better than mcdermott will ever be and now that he is gone it is even worse than it was when he was there.  You said the right side of the line is "stable" I read that as fine and we disagree...or at least it is a loos definition as it isnt constantly changing. Unfortunately the line plays as a group and if one or two parts are a mess it affects the whole like. Fant being gone and that shiny new free agent we signed to play LG continues to suck then the whole like is a mess. 

McDermott being in for Fant does NOT make the line better or more competent, it makes it less. Fant sucking doesnt change that fact. 

Ok, we disagree on Fant a bit. I was watching him the entire game against the Bengals until he went to the bench. I have never seen anyone so slow to get into his block for a LT. It is one thing to get beat on a bull rush or a spin, but if the DE is basically passing you before you even have your hands on him (and this happened a lot, when it was really bad it resulted in a sack) that can't  happen. Not sure if McDermott  will get beat as much but from what I recall, at least McDermott acted as a speed bump. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, More Cowbell said:

Ok, we disagree on Fant a bit. I was watching him the entire game against the Bengals until he went to the bench. I have never seen anyone so slow to get into his block for a LT. It is one thing to get beat on a bull rush or a spin, but if the DE is basically passing you before you even have your hands on him (and this happened a lot, when it was really bad it resulted in a sack) that can't  happen. Not sure if McDermott  will get beat as much but from what I recall, at least McDermott acted as a speed bump. 

Fant was flat out horrible that game.....I could have taken my fat arse out there and did the same work. I just think that McDermott is consistently that bad. Like I have NEVER seen him look good. 

20 minutes ago, Warfish said:

This may be the least surprising article or thread literally ever.

As expected, the usual folks are preemptively predicting doom and eliminating any responsibility for any poor Zach play for Sunday's game.

That's how you can tell the real level of belief in a guy, when his most dedicated defenders and fans spend the week before the game telling anyone who'll listen that it's not his fault if he plays like crap, lol.

Eh.,..

It's a dumb article.  I don't think any fans are buying into it.    Moreover if you actually read the article, the headline isn't really what he's saying.

Zach has to play well.  McDermott or not.

21 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

It's bizarre.  And why shouldnt we expect savior?  Why did we take him #2 overall if that's not the expectation? 

This is where I'm at. He was the second overall pick. We spent three top-36 picks on a pair of wideouts and a running back, not to mention the money we spent on tight ends. If by "savior" we mean reeling off eight straight wins and vying for the division, yeah, maybe not, but I'm definitely expecting him to be good!

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

This is where I'm at. He was the second overall pick. We spent three top-36 picks on a pair of wideouts and a running back, not to mention the money we spent on tight ends. If by "savior" we mean reeling off eight straight wins and vying for the division, yeah, maybe not, but I'm definitely expecting him to be good!

I expect top 10-15 QB play from Zach Wilson.  And while I know that will receive some haha he's bust laugh laugh, it's not asking that much when you look at some of the starters around the league right now; Trubisky, Brissett, Fields, Mills, Jones/Zappe, Mayfield, Geno, Jones, Wentz, Goff, Mariota, Winston, Flacco.  If Wilson isnt better than that pile of dog sh*t, well, just, fml. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

The line is not in a shambles. Fant was not playing much better if at all than McDermott already. It's  basically the same OL we have been playing all season and hopefully Brown makes his debut in week 5. No excuses.  This line helped beat a better D on Cleveland.  

I agree no excuses, but you have to have your head up your butt if you think the Oline isn't in shambles right now. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

I expect top 10-15 QB play from Zach Wilson.  And while I know that will receive some haha he's bust laugh laugh, it's not asking that much when you look at some of the starters around the league right now; Trubisky, Brissett, Fields, Mills, Jones/Zappe, Mayfield, Geno, Jones, Wentz, Goff, Mariota, Winston, Flacco.  If Wilson isnt better than that pile of dog sh*t, well, just, fml. 

I think second year Goff and Wentz is the bar. It’s his second year in a league, the franchise put a rookie contract level team around him. If guys aren’t really high end players while their teams can put a strong team around them with the flexibility a rookie QB contract gives the GM, then the QB certainly isn’t going to be good when he’s being paid $40M and $30M of supporting cast goes away.

I like Goff and Wentz as examples because they played at a really high level while their supporting casts were really good but it turns out that without those casts they’ve got some warts and aren’t good enough to elevate teams when they’re making big money.

There’s the idea that there are quarterbacks you win with and quarterbacks you win because of. When a guy’s on a rookie deal, I think you find out if you can win with him. Then if he checks that box, on the second contract you find out if you can win because of him.

Guys who get to like mid level on rookie deals, I’m thinking Baker Mayfield, are obviously only win with guys to the point that the Browns knew they couldn’t pay him and be good.

Point being, the bar for Wilson this year should be very high. If he’s not very, very good this year it’s an indictment of him and probably of Douglas as well - for picking him and for team building.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

I agree no excuses, but you have to have your head up your butt if you think the Oline isn't in shambles right now. 

Yes, the OL is a mess right now.  It would be juvenile to not expect this to hurt the offense.   When you're down to a 4th string LT and a 4th round rookie starting at RT - there's reason for concern.  And there should be...

But - it shouldn't be a reason Zach doesn't play well.  He'll have a harder time - but he has the tools to succeed with this OL.  A strong OL would clearly help - I think everyone will acknowledge that...

But Zach has the WR/RB's to move the ball...

14 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

I think it's  a combo of not good OL play and Flacco holding the ball for an eternity.  Zach has had 3 weeks to notice what was being  said after game 1. Hopefully we don't  see is crazy deep drops Sunday. 

20 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

The Jets are averaging 4.4 per rushiing attempt and Joe Flacco's bronzed statue has gotten off the most passing attempts in the NFL to date.  The OL is not in shambles.