Zach Wilson cleared by doctors, starting Sunday

Rhg1084

15 minutes ago, derp said:

I think Wilson plays at a level where everyone holds their ground. Better than last year so the folks that love him hold on to "progress" despite there seemingly being an agreement that the bar should be high, but not enough for the folks who want to see him look like a good NFL QB to see him in that light.

In an odd way I think his medium term future with this franchise could depend more on the rest of the offense and the defense doing well enough to save Douglas and Saleh's jobs and keep the Jets out of the top few picks in the draft than on his own play. If he's in that 3:2 TD:INT with 6.8 YPA territory that's not as bad as he was but also not quite good enough.

I could see this scenario playing out. But  those stats are simply not going to cut it. Cant group all of Zach believers into the excuse makers.

7.2 YPA, 65% CMP%, 2:1 TD:INT and not hiding him. Needs to be north of 30 attempts.

Not  sure if that bar is high enough for some of y’all. But that’s my expectation.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Woo hoo!  We can finally begin to see what we have.  This is his 2nd season so there should be improvement.  And hopefully Duane Brown comes back in another week and helps solidify the OL.  Plus I bet LaFleur gets conservative now that Zach is back (as opposed to throwing 60x a game when Flacco was in there).

they are not throwing 60x because of the QB they are doing it because they feel they will only get so many possession to make up for being 2/3 TD behind.

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Then why say anything.  Just say something like "we'll see how he looks in practice and wait to make a determination"?

Idk. Saleh has been frustrating. Im not good with his under performing defense and his terrible pressers. Just going to ignore him. Zach is 100% and has been cleared by his own doctors. I’m running with that.

2 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

I could see this scenario playing out. But  those stats are simply not going to cut it. Cant group all of Zach believers into the excuse makers.

7.2 YPA, 65% CMP%, 2:1 TD:INT and not hiding him. Needs to be north of 30 attempts.

Not  sure if that bar is high enough for some of y’all. But that’s my expectation.

I wholeheartedly agree the stats I laid out aren't good enough. I imagine if that takes place a couple folks flip, but I think a bunch see progress. 

I probably care less about the completion percentage than I should, but probably just care about YPA more. I'd take a 7.4 YPA on 58% completion over 6.8 YPA on 65% completion if that makes sense.

I think what you laid out is probably the absolute bare minimum where I could talk myself into it - and I'd like to be able to talk myself into it. And I think it depends on the total TD's/INT's and how he's playing. If that's 28 TD's and 14 INT's it's different than 16 and 8. Realistically I think the TD:INT bar should be 3:1. I think Goff and Wentz were around 4:1 during their second years and look at those guys now.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Curious why you think Miami is overrated? They look pretty explosive right now 

They have kept games close and found ways to win them at the end, but their defense is ranked 31st in yardage, 29th in 3rd down conversions, 19th in red zone.  They were badly outgained by Buffalo but found a way to win.   Scored 28 in the 4th quarter to beat Baltimore.  They have been at their best both offensively and defensively in the 4th quarter and found ways to win. 

Credit to them for a good start, but I am not sure how sustainable it will be.

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

You keep saying they are going to beat the Dolphins and be tied for 1st place in the AFC East

Wilson is going to turn the ball over at least once and McDaniel is going to shove a 40-burger down BS’s lying face

Beating the Dolphins doesnt make you a world beater.  The Dolphins should be 1-2 and are the most overrated team in the league.

• WTF? 1

Just now, Lith said:

They have kept games close and found ways to win them at the end, but their defense is ranked 31st in yardage, 29th in 3rd down conversions, 19th in red zone.  They were badly outgained by Buffalo but found a way to win.   Scored 28 in the 4th quarter to beat Baltimore.  They have been at their best both offensively and defensively in the 4th quarter and found ways to win. 

Credit to them for a good start, but I am not sure how sustainable it will be.

I think this is fair. 

I think they are clearly good and trending towards being a playoff team, but they haven't established themselves as world beaters just yet. 

Tomorrow night will be an interesting test for them. 

• Upvote 1